84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

boxxerace's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boxxerace's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread

I am still very much in the pre-planning stages of a little play rig for the family and (mostly) me.

I have starting with a mostly stripped, not so clean 85 4runner. I have the body off the frame and I am going to sand / Por 15 and then paint the body. Much of the original body is going to get hacked up and integrated with Hrew tube for structure and protection.

Here is the known run down on the underbits and such:

Body: 85' Runner. Softtop + Roll Cage
Tires: 39.5 Pitbull Rockers. Big and floating was the goal.
Rims: (unknown at this time... will use existing alcoa's until I get double beadlocks)
Suspension: Unknown. Struggling with Cost vrs. time of 4 linking.
Axles: Dana 60 up front with selectable locker, 14 bolt w/ disc + lockright locker. Current gearing is 4.56 which may prove too tall for a trail Mcbuggy.
Engine: MPFI 454 (yah, go stupid big...) It's heavy, but torquey and I own it. (edit, this might change.... )
Trans: TH400 three speed
Transfer: Np205 for now... What's in the future??? Might add an ORD doubler with a NP203 gearbox.

One of the main points I have to address is what to do with the front end of the truck. Most likely I am going to have to extend the front end in it's entirety for there to be enough room to fit the engine. The fenders will be mostly tube primarly for clearance and strength. It is up in the air what to do with the hood, which may be as simple as adding a shaped plate behind the stock hood, in effect making a cowl induction.

Either way, the goal is to retain the four seats and have the fuel cell sit behind the rear seats along with some kind of toolbox and gear area.

***Updated June 26th***

Last edited by boxxerace; 01-31-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:30 AM

I have been drawing some early scale mockup's so I can make some definitive plans on just how to hack up the body. The first is just the body with some scale "tires". I think I might have to hack the fenders no?

More recently, I have mocked up the freshly repainted body with a spare 14 bolt rear axle and roughly placed the front tires where they would be with a 60 in front. Having the body sit so low, the track width is exaggerated even more. It might take a bit of work to roll it over with it this low!

Old 06-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Banned

interested in seeing how this goes

keep us updated!!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:28 PM

Side note, look what I spotted on the freeway yesterday. Hawt damn!

Old 06-29-2007, 09:05 AM

I am buying some 1-3/4" Hrew steel and I mocked up a fun little graphic of what I might do with the tube.

I don't thing I am going to run the tube up the A-pillar, nor am I planning on a full exo. Instead, I will run a stronger cage inside the front of the cab and the rear will replace the area the normal removable roof is. A canvas top will be made for the rainy days here in Washington and I want it to look full. Doing this will also give rear passengers more room.

Also notice the removal of the body in the front fenders and rear. The body would be tucked up nicely to the tube / framework.

Last edited by boxxerace; 06-29-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:11 AM

I should mention that I will be running doorless until winter. That is, if I have something even on the trail by winter.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:44 PM

been a while. I am jumpstarting my crap. Time to get going on this

2" DOM cage that covers front and rear passengers. Cage ties into frame directly and the body is hard mounted. Rocksliders and Cage are also kind of tied together (I'll post more pictures later).

Rear is bobbed as well as the nearly matching removeable top (was bobbed for another 4runner by someone else). If I am going to run an actual rear door and want to roll up the glass, I'll have to trim the top 1/4".

This is setup for front and rear 4 links, attached to a removeable center support (guess I'll have to make sure the bolts are tight).

Old 01-30-2008, 12:47 PM

Note the new lightweight axles...

I'll be moving this into the garage this weekend. Next step is to fab up the link mounts on the 14 bolt and Dana 60 and then order up some links.

I'd like to get a rolling chassis and then dive into the easy stuff like putting an engine in it and wiring it up.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a fun project. Keep us posted.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow a 454 in a yota. thats gonna be godly huge in there. im iunterested to see it. Should be a pretty cool build. Wish I had a 60 and a 14 bolt

Old 01-31-2008, 11:03 AM

sweet truggy!!! subscribe.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:27 PM

I am still struggling with what to do motor-wise. Like I said before, I have an entire drivetrain that is this side of unbreakable. However, I really want a lower crawl ratio and I'd like to get this thing off the ground.

The new rig has a hardmounted body. Those who put small blocks *always* have some kind of body lift installed. Add a few liters of engine and your looking for trouble.

For fun, I bolted up the 454, the TH400 three speed auto and the NP205. The engine measures about 33" from the front of the furthest pulley (with no fan or radiator) to the back of the block. For reference, the distance between the firewall and the front of the radiator support in a 1st gen 4runner is also 33". See my problem?

I am not one to be afraid of cutting things up and getting them where they need to be, but I also have some rough goals of keeping this project in check and having something that actually works for me and my family, over something that is just "cool" and all front heavy. With this in mind, I am seriously considering the 4.3 liter V6. It has the same relative HP as the BB, and half the torque. If I go this route, I'll need to reduce my low range to at least 4:1.

With a 4.3 liter, I can use my TH400 without modification (new flywheel). I have the potential of either going to a Dana 300 with 4:1's or going the doubler route. It seems kind of stupid to spend tons of money on modding out a toy transmission and box just to get it to 1/2 the strength of the NP205 and yet it doing so would be more compact.

So, there you have it, the stuff I am stewing on.

P.S. I have kids to keep warm in the winter, so I am picking up some doors and I'll try to figure out something for the rear. Thanks for your interest guys.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:32 PM

Ide say do the 4.3 swap. its more than enough power really. you could use a 350 but still I think the 4.3 is the way to go. The 454 I think is more power than you will even need plus to make it fit and work is going to be a task in its self. Im excited to see what you chose. I bet you could get some cash for that big block
Old 01-31-2008, 03:32 PM

Hey Fills, I just realized your local. Are you on Nw-wheelers?
Old 01-31-2008, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by boxxerace
Hey Fills, I just realized your local. Are you on Nw-wheelers?

I am but havent had much luck working the site for some reason. They dont let me search or post. I need to write to crash or another mod. I live in redmond and my trucks at my parents in Sammamish were I work on it
Old 01-31-2008, 03:51 PM

P.M. Sent. Come on over, it is a pretty good group. Lots of resources for fab work and such.

Now... to find a decent 4.3 and wiring harness....
Old 01-31-2008, 03:59 PM

P.M. Sent. Come on over, it is a pretty good group. Lots of resources for fab work and such.

Now... to find a decent 4.3 and wiring harness....
Check craigslist you can find running blazers with all youll need just about for under $1500
Old 02-01-2008, 11:16 AM

I admit, I was tempted when I saw a complete (totalled) tundra with a toyota aluminum V-8 / 6000 miles on the engine for only 1200$. It sounds like it sold to some chap in Oregon (I emailed the guy). Not even sure if it would fit - hah!

Anyhow, back onto the 4.3 hunt. I also picked up some doors for the wintertime.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:49 AM

stoked on the look and function good luck!
Old 02-01-2008, 01:03 PM

I admit, I was tempted when I saw a complete (totalled) tundra with a toyota aluminum V-8 / 6000 miles on the engine for only 1200$. It sounds like it sold to some chap in Oregon (I emailed the guy). Not even sure if it would fit - hah!

Anyhow, back onto the 4.3 hunt. I also picked up some doors for the wintertime.
Good old doors

Man if I found a total tundra with V8 for $1200 i would have shat my pants I would have found a way to make it fit. Ive thought some about that swap becuas eit would be sick. Ive even thought of looking for one to start building for my next project I may do someday.

I see blazers and 4.3 all the time on craigslist and stuff for under $1500 and that running which would be a great find cuse then you know it runs and how it runs before you put it in

Quick Reply: boxxerace's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread