84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

302 small block Ford swap anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't started the motor yet but they seem to fit a lot better than the stock ones. they aren't ceramic coated. I think they were 650$.

I thought about doing a SAS but I would still have the same oil pan clearance problem unless i lifted it.

I think I'm gonna take the original mounts and bolt the NWOR ones on top to give me more clearance between the bottom of the motor and the front diff. I'll have to reshape the hood if I want it to close but I think that would be easier than lifting it not to mention cheaper.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ceveland
I haven't started the motor yet but they seem to fit a lot better than the stock ones. they aren't ceramic coated. I think they were 650$.

I thought about doing a SAS but I would still have the same oil pan clearance problem unless i lifted it.

I think I'm gonna take the original mounts and bolt the NWOR ones on top to give me more clearance between the bottom of the motor and the front diff. I'll have to reshape the hood if I want it to close but I think that would be easier than lifting it not to mention cheaper.
Thanks for the info on the headers, they look really nice , but a bit out of my price range, lol.

When I did my SAS, I bought a complete running 85' toyota donor truck for the straight axel. Before buying the donor truck I hadn't planned on doing the 302 swap, but the 85' pickup that I found already had the 302 in it with the NWOR bellhousing, motor mounts, and alternator bracket so it made it alot eaiser to swap it all over to the 4Runner. Anyway what I'm trying to get at is the 85' wasn't lifted and didn't have any oil pan clearance issues between the pan and the front diff. The oil pan is a front sump style, just thought I would throw that out there in case you decided to SAS yours, lol. If you look at my build thread on the first page there's a pic of the green 85' donor truck, no lift on 31's.

You mentioned bolting your NWOR motor mounts on top of your factory mounts to raise up the motor and give you more clearance between the oil pan and the diff, but do to the bigger overall size of the NWOR bellhousing I don't think you'll have enough firewall clearance to raise the motor up any unless you install a body lift. I'm not running any bodylift on mine and barely have maybe an inch of clearance between the bellhousing and the firewall, it makes it a real pain to get the bolts in to bolt the bellhousing up to the motor, lol.
Anyhow, Good luck!... I'm just thought I'd share some of the things I learned along the way on my swap. I noticed you started a build thread on the 86-95' forum, I'll start posting over there from now on, look forward to seeing more of your build!

Last edited by rustED; 02-03-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my buddies runner had a ford 302 in it. it fit better than his new one with a chev 5.7 tbi.
seems like the 302 was shorter but wider