Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Whirlybird's 1982 Trekker Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gizler00
It's crazy how crusty the inside of a gas tank can get.
I know!!!! Blew my mind!!! I was super lucky that I had a nice clean extra one laying around as they are apparently incredibly hard to find...hope the new one works (only threw a splash of gas in to try and get it running) (and also given the state of some of the wiring)...I'm going to take Kawazx's advice and take a wire brush to it to try and recover it (gotta search...I KNOW I've seen a thread on the topic).

Last edited by whirlybird; 04-23-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 PM

Long overdue for an update:

Haven't touched the trekker in a couple of months due to other commitments.

I picked up what I THOUGHT was going to be a parts truck and fell enough in love with it that I'm keeping it. I actually went back and forth about which one to hold on to...was thinking about only keeping one...but for now they both stay! It's an 84 4Runner in SR5 trim complete w inclinometer, sunroof and what looks to be factory cruise! Minimal body rust around rear fenders and an isolated part of drivers kick panel; frame and rest of truck is excellent 5.29's Aussies front and rear...been sitting in a garage for a couple of years...the PO ran out of time. Needs some tlc: brakes, carb cleaning (idles for a few seconds one starting fluid then dies), and minor rust repair. PO also advised it would be wise to swap thirds (rear was assembled first and he thought one that is now in front came out w better pattern on gears when put together)...long story short I CAN'T bring myself to part it...it's in great shape and I really fell in love (pretty sure most here can relate).

Back on topic: so I went to start the trekker today and I can NOT get it start! After some trouble shooting I think its the fuel pump. Will idle on starting fluid just fine and when fuel hose is disconnected to make sure fuel is getting to carb I get nothing when cranking...BUT the pump seems to suck fine from hose coming out of filter when I disconnect there and draw fuel from small container...filter is new and is unobstructed and lines were blown out w can cleaner when I dropped the tank.

Is it possible fuel pump is just weak? I removed to see if I could manually pump from container and I was able to do it but the pump was EXTREMELY hard to pump! (Had some long hoses going containers of gas and basically had to have pump between knees to action...I don't think I remember other pumps being that hard to action...

Tank looks like new and there was the fuel sock intact when I removed it the first time...I really don't want to drop that thing again!

Any thoughts/input would be appreciated.

(And thanks for putting up w the read)

Last edited by whirlybird; 07-05-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM

trekker

.....cool to see a trekker..have you figured out the fuel problem

Last edited by 1983 4x4; 07-11-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: I did not read far enough..
Old 07-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by 1983 4x4
Whats going on with your build.....cool to see a trekker..it she on the road yet?
see the post from july 5th just above yours....
Old 07-14-2013, 06:12 AM

Mini update:

Well it runs again!

In an attempt to save myself the time/effort of dropping the tank again I hooked up a small suction pump to the fuel line to see if I could draw fuel from the tank (to figure out if it was blocked line or weak pump). The results shocked me: the first fuel that came out was discolored (not "Rust" colored per se but defintely redish), it baffled me...I had blown out the fuel lines with a LOT of carb cleaner when I dropped the tank (with no debris coming out) and I didn't think that it took a LOT of pumping to get the fuel up to the fuel filter. I'm starting to think the fuel pump is going out/weak (fuel pressure indicator seemed to be indicating nearly zero again...it seemed to pop up to 3-4 mometarily as I first got it running but it's right back down. I picked up a new fuel pump the other day just in case and I might throw it in for the heck of it (couldn't hurt and it'll help me figure out if the guage is faulty too. Two birds with one stone (even though it may be 40 bucks I didn't need to spend).

I DID get to DRIVE it for the first time after I got it up and going again!!!!! What a victory that was! I just drove it around the storage area but it was great! didn't want to push it too far bc I was unsure how great the brakes were and there is a nagging fuel leak at the adapters on the fuel pressure regulator...it's ok to use teflon tape right? I've cranked down on those things pretty darn hard and they still leak...

We'll see. Unfortunately I'm out of town for another week or so for work and wont' have time to mess with it!

Upon return I need to shuffle vehicles around and I'll probably start on the 84 as it is WAY closer to DD status than the trekker. The goal is 84 up and going before the end of the summer and start working on the Trekker so it's ready for next spring/summer.

I'll try and get some pics of the 4Runner loaded ASAP

Thanks for reading.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Before you go doing too much more figuring out, check out your fuel filters. Even "redish" gas will contain large enough particles of rust to conpletely clog your fuel filters - especially after seeing what your sending unit looked like(mine was the exact same way). My truck would run fine for about 15-20 miles and then start sputtering out for lack of fuel after the debris and pressure built up enough. I would pull over, clean out the fuel filters (I use the clear ones with replaceable filter cartridges) and I'd be good to go for about another 15-20 miles. After about 6 or 7 times doing this, it finally cleaned up. Give it a shot if you have these symptoms.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:03 AM

Thanks for the insight!

I changed both the fuel filter under the hood and fuel strainer in the tank. Ill let it idle/run for a while and check periodically (still not 100% driveable). I suppose that will give a chance for the seafoam i put in the oil to do its thing (I know some dont think it does much but I've had great experience with it...placebo effect maybe...)

Thanks again
Old 07-15-2013, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I had good luck with Rotella 15w-40 diesel oil to clean up the engine, restore compression and reduce oil consumption. It's a fairly common long term solution to tired engines.