Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

hyzerponix' 1983 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yeehaw1
Lovin that front bumper, just out of curiosity, you don't happen to still have the extra grille emblem do you?

I noticed your Curr dog up above, do you Hog hunt?

I have TWO extra grille emblems. Ya want one, PM me with a shipping address and I will put it in the mail to ya.

As for the dog, he is a squirrel/coon dog. We don't really have many hogs around here, and the ones we do have trip over their dresses when you chase 'em anyway.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hyzerponix
I have TWO extra grille emblems. Ya want one, PM me with a shipping address and I will put it in the mail to ya.

As for the dog, he is a squirrel/coon dog. We don't really have many hogs around here, and the ones we do have trip over their dresses when you chase 'em anyway.
It's hard to find a good squirrel dog anymore, bet he? is a dandy!
Your really lucky to not have any hogs, they tear up everything.... I literally fell out of my chair when i read what kind of hogs you got down there, we got plenty of those round here too!
Old 08-08-2011, 02:31 PM

Looks good! Now you need a set of mud grips.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:39 AM

New door panels

Tore the old door panels off, which were pretty well shredded, and made some new ones. For my first-ever attempt at auto interior, it didn't come out too bad.

I just traced the hardboard pattern onto some new hardboard, and wrapped the top panel with tan indoor/outdoor carpet, and the bottom panel with some alligator vinyl I found. Also, since the top part was still good, I cut it off the old panels and incorporated it into the new ones in order to cover the top of the door and keep the window rubber clips intact. Total cost, about $30.

Here is a pile of the old, tattered door panels:

And here are the new panels on the doors:

In retrospect, I kinda wish I would have made the bottom panels about 3/8"˟taller, in order to cover that gap. Aside from that, I am very happy with the results as those old panels were fugly and bothered the crap outta me!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:20 PM

Tore the old door panels off, which were pretty well shredded, and made some new ones. For my first-ever attempt at auto interior, it didn't come out too bad.

I just traced the hardboard pattern onto some new hardboard, and wrapped the top panel with tan indoor/outdoor carpet, and the bottom panel with some alligator vinyl I found. Also, since the top part was still good, I cut it off the old panels and incorporated it into the new ones in order to cover the top of the door and keep the window rubber clips intact. Total cost, about $30.

Here is a pile of the old, tattered door panels:

And here are the new panels on the doors:

In retrospect, I kinda wish I would have made the bottom panels about 3/8"˟taller, in order to cover that gap. Aside from that, I am very happy with the results as those old panels were fugly and bothered the crap outta me!
Those are real nice! How did you attach them to the doors? Also where did you get the Hardboard? I've been wanting to make some new door panels for quite some time!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
love the build. Noticed you're in mo. If you ever need parts (i have a good source) Or need any help feel free to pm me and i can get you set up. Love the truck by the way.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lov'n it so far I am also from MO but Swamp east MO.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:20 PM

I got the hardboard and carpet from Home Depot. They sell the hardboard in 3'x4' pieces for like $6, and the carpet was about $10 for a yard. The awesome gator vinyl came from the fabric store.

Today I put some tan bucket seats from a '92 Accord in the truck. They are a thousand times more comfortable than that awful bench seat! Next will probably be a custom center console.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:35 PM

I got the hardboard and carpet from Home Depot. They sell the hardboard in 3'x4' pieces for like $6, and the carpet was about $10 for a yard. The awesome gator vinyl came from the fabric store.

Today I put some tan bucket seats from a '92 Accord in the truck. They are a thousand times more comfortable than that awful bench seat! Next will probably be a custom center console.
That ain't bad for the cost either! I'm gonna be doin that sooner than later it seems!

how did you attach them to the doors though?

How do the Accord seats look in a yota? any pics?
what's your idea for a center console?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:06 AM

I attached the new panels using the same metal prongs from my old door panels. Some of the prongs were missing, so I found some on an old Camry or Cressida or whatever it was at one of the local self-serve scrap yards. When making new panels, you simply use the old panel to trace out the new panel. That includes the little rectangular holes that the mounting clips or "prongs" as I call them slip into. I used a Dremel rotary bit to cut out these small rectangular holes.

Here's a couple pics of the Accord seats. Notice the little lever on the passenger seat-- this is cool, as it allows the driver to move the passenger seat to get behind it without having to reach over to the lever near the passenger door. Also, there's an armrest!

As for the center console, I'm thinking something fairly simple. Cupholders, storage, etc. I'd like to install an extra 12v power receptacle, one that stays powered without ignition so I can charge my phone. Also, I'm picturing a hidden compartment in the bottom where I can hold tools that are specific to the truck. Nothing too complicated, just practical!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:13 AM

I attached the new panels using the same metal prongs from my old door panels. Some of the prongs were missing, so I found some on an old Camry or Cressida or whatever it was at one of the local self-serve scrap yards. When making new panels, you simply use the old panel to trace out the new panel. That includes the little rectangular holes that the mounting clips or "prongs" as I call them slip into. I used a Dremel rotary bit to cut out these small rectangular holes.

Here's a couple pics of the Accord seats. Notice the little lever on the passenger seat-- this is cool, as it allows the driver to move the passenger seat to get behind it without having to reach over to the lever near the passenger door. Also, there's an armrest!

As for the center console, I'm thinking something fairly simple. Cupholders, storage, etc. I'd like to install an extra 12v power receptacle, one that stays powered without ignition so I can charge my phone. Also, I'm picturing a hidden compartment in the bottom where I can hold tools that are specific to the truck. Nothing too complicated, just practical!
Okay, I was wondering how you would attach the little clip things to the new panel. Guess it was easier than i thought it would be.

Those seats look great! I've been looking for a set of seats from a Mustang, but those look just as good! I may start looking for a grey set of those! That little lever is pretty cool, I figure that'll get some use!

Sounds like one heck of a good plan for the center console! You gonna carpet it or?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:34 AM

Probably gonna use the same carpet on the floor as I did on the doors, so the center console might just get covered in the rest of the gator vinyl.

Those Accord seats were very easy to put in. The only issue with the brackets is that the outer rear one is bent to 90 degrees, so it has to be bent flat. Also, there isn't much room on the front mounting rail (on the floor of the truck) to drill the outer holes, but there is room. You definitely want these seats mounted as far inward, or toward the center of the cab as possible in order to have room to drill on that front rail.

This being the first time ever doing anything like this, I am learning as I go. But it sure is fun, and the improved results are definitely worth it.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:10 PM

Probably gonna use the same carpet on the floor as I did on the doors, so the center console might just get covered in the rest of the gator vinyl.

Those Accord seats were very easy to put in. The only issue with the brackets is that the outer rear one is bent to 90 degrees, so it has to be bent flat. Also, there isn't much room on the front mounting rail (on the floor of the truck) to drill the outer holes, but there is room. You definitely want these seats mounted as far inward, or toward the center of the cab as possible in order to have room to drill on that front rail.

This being the first time ever doing anything like this, I am learning as I go. But it sure is fun, and the improved results are definitely worth it.
Here's what I did.. from a '91 Prelude, and they're probably the same brackets.

Do you still have the stock front bumper?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:43 PM

Here's what I did.. from a '91 Prelude, and they're probably the same brackets.

Do you still have the stock front bumper?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 AM

Neockder, great idea with the angle iron. Simple enough that I feel a bit foolish for not having thought of it myself!

As for the front bumper, it was scrap when I got the truck. The driver side was bent and twisted from a wreck the PO had. I know it doesn't look that bad, but the crash bar underneath was completely toast.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:34 AM

Kick panel speaker boxes!

Went to the flea market and bought a Kenwood stereo and some 4" Kicker speakers for the doors. A definite improvement over the rotted-out speakers and two-knob stereo that were in the truck when I got it, but even the new 4" speakers weren't loud enough for me. So I went back to the flea market and got some 5-1/4" Kicker speakers and built some kick panel boxes. What a rush of sound my truck now has!

I know, they don't look as nice as the pre-molded plastic ones that sell for $200, but for being made from nothing but scrap from other projects, I think they turned out quite well. At 3" thick, they don't really take up a lot of room and I found my feet still have plenty of floor space. I removed the little access panels from the cab wall, ran the wires behind the cab wall and up under the dash, and then mounted the boxes using the screw holes from the access panels. Quick and easy!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:27 AM

That alligator paneling looks pimp! Looking great, when you planning on finishing the carpet?
Old 10-01-2011, 02:12 PM

Thanks, maistro. The carpeting will probably be done after I get my dash panel, so I can run the amp/sub wires underneath it as I complete the stereo install. It'll be the same carpet as the doors and speakers, 'cause its cheap. I have a 10" shallow Pioneer sub in a small box I made that is also covered in that same carpet. I made the box so that it would fit snug behind the passenger seat, and short enough to go beneath the jack handle clip on the rear of the cab. Also got an Alpine mono amp for the sub. Right now the wires and amp are just laying on the passenger floorboard, but everything is hooked up and it sounds amazing!

Anyway, this truck is so much fun to mess around with!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:12 PM

Air tank bumper done, Greg Olson dash installed

Finally got my air tank bumper plumbed in! Its been holding over 100 psi for about 4 days. For now, I'll keep it aired up with the garage compressor, but eventually I hope to get a 12v version running on board.

Also got my new dash panel installed. Greg Olson really does an outstanding job on these dash panels. One less piece of plastic crap to go bad! (If anyone has a brown IP cover, mine is cracked as you can see. I would like to buy a replacement from someone!)

Old 10-31-2011, 04:09 PM

Looking very good. Glad to see you went with Greg's piece!

Quick Reply: hyzerponix' 1983 Pickup Build-Up Thread