Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

'78 Chinook Newport Project

Old 02-04-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
'78 Chinook Newport Project

Bought this back in September. Thought maybe I'd just go with it as-is...but I just couldn't get over some of the stuff on the interior (can you guess what??), and figured it didn't look too complicated to upgrade some stuff. So now of course I'm gutting it...

Here it is:

Progress photos to follow...
Old 02-04-2013, 01:52 PM

And no, no 4x4 conversion, although that would be bad a**
Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 PM

This is going to be pretty photo-heavy, tech-light. And hopefully in some kind of order.

Right away I started to find "issues". Corrosion and rust. Pretty much every screw in this thing looks at least this bad.

Rot, and the major reason I started this project. Paint over the ugly color?..Well, it's rotted too, so maybe just pull it all out...Window leak no one ever repaired.

Cupboards coming out.

This pile has been getting much bigger...and continues to grow.

Getting a little bit smarter on how I take the panelling out...so it comes out whole, and not in crumbles. My idea with this, is that "how hard can it be to replace the wood panelling? I just take out the old stuff, and use it as a template for the new stuff". Great, if you don't demolish the old stuff getting it out!

This is what happens when you get impatient and try to force things...gas line to the stovetop. I guess I'll be replacing it.

This is too bad. It's on the floor, under the window that was leaking. Pretty bad rot. Really, I should pull the entire floor and put a new one in...but it's not happening. That means lifting the entire camper off the frame, cutting out the floor, and replacing. Not going to happen for me. The other four corners are solid, so hopefully it's not an issue. Maybe I can patch something in to strengthen it?

Pretty much there..

Pull up one layer of ugly carpet, find another layer of ugly carpet underneath.

It is basically to where I can start thinking about how to put it back together again.

My plans are to put in a new converter, mostly new wiring of the coach, wire in some speakers to the back and a new stereo, maybe some other fun ideas while it's all opened up, as far as electronics and all that.

I'll also be buying new tires/rims, new wheel bearings all around, probably rebuild the drum brake parts/calipers and all that. Otherwise...just a tuneup, cleaning, and a little rust removal here and there.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zack, hey, This is great, I just recently or should say am about too buy this exact year and model of rv.... fricken sweet, gonna be doing about what you are and have already done, would love to pass info back and forth!! I am down in Wyoming and it looks like you are just north
Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Man you got your hands full!!! Wonderful project though I keep thinking of the guy that has the blue and the brown chinooks that floats all over the net I say go all out man make it a 10 year quest
Old 02-28-2013, 06:21 AM

Yeah keep me updated! They're great...and rare. So expect obsolete parts. Even on the used market, there just weren't many of them out there, so it's hard to find some stuff.

Tires were my biggest issue so far...If you decide to buy new tires, send me an email or post here or something.

Have you joined the Yahoo Toyota Chinook users group? If you buy one (or even if you're still just looking), you should join.

I have a giant stack of new parts on my front porch (and no more money in my bank account...), and it's going to start getting put back together soon.

I had an electrician wire in the 120V side of the new converter. I'm going to start wiring the 12V. Then insulation. I bought some radiant barrier (innovative insulation double bubble foil insulation), and a roll of foam.

I've got the new furnace, new LED lights, and a new faucet. Can't wait to start putting it back together! And especially using it summer.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Man you got your hands full!!! Wonderful project though I keep thinking of the guy that has the blue and the brown chinooks that floats all over the net I say go all out man make it a 10 year quest
Yeah, and with this part of the project anyways, no grease! No lifting engines and transmissions. Just wood & plastic and some metal, and I get to work "indoors". Once the insulation is in, I'll be interested to see how much warmer it stays, and how much quieter it is. Right now it's just a plastic shell with some fiberglass on the inside walls.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great job! can't wait to see more progress!!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, so many levels of envy right now. I know you said these are rare but they are outright non-existent out here in the rust belt! This is why I need to move west...
Old 03-01-2013, 12:45 PM

More photos, before it all starts going back together.

Finished gut pile. Can't wait to get this crap out of my garage.

Street views.

Tires & insulation

New Converter

Reconstruction begins slowly this weekend. But it'll pick up once I have all the parts on hand, and a plan.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 PM

Great little camping Rig! Always wonder how gutless those are with all that weight and the little motors. Running a mountain pass in my 4Runner is a challenge... All that said... I want one!!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:53 AM

It's actually not bad. If you ignore the fact that it's not really safe to drive it over 60mph.

When I bought it, I drove it from Seattle to Montana, which is 3 pretty major mountain passes, if I remember right. It easily went over 50 in 4th gear. That was not pushing it, just figuring that was fast enough on those curves. That's actually better than my 83 pickup.

But, it's kind of like driving an old VW bus. If you get in the mindset of SLOW. I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere. Then it's really no problem.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 AM

So the Chinooks were only made from maybe 74-78. The "full size" Chinook, aka non pop-tops like mine were only made in 1978. So it's fairly rare. Every one I see for sale, and everyone I ask about them, has a 4 speed. So I was thinking mine is super rare. Then I started wondering...

I finally changed the oil over the weekend, and noticed that the engine compartment tag said "L43".

I pulled up the seats and carpet, and found....

Yes! The old peel back the floor and cover the hole with a license plate trick! Actually, it works fine, and I'll keep it this way. Might just add some caulk to it. Anyone seen this before, or would even admit to doing it themselves??

The cool thing is that I have a 5 speed. The crappy thing is that the engine has 49,000 miles on it. The tranny? No idea. But it shifts smooth and is quiet, so I'll just be happy that I have a 5 speed.

Insulation has started to go in. New converter is wired in. New furnace is in place, and I just need to decide how exactly I want to mount it. It's a bit shorter than the original, and I don't think it's good for the blower to be recessed back into a cabinet...so I might need to find something to extend the vent and fresh air intake tubes, which go to the outside of the camper.

Also, pretty much no rust on the floor boards, even at the mounts. There's some rot in the engine compartment, and where the camper rubs on the roof, and where the side view mirrors were drilled in. But none underneath. So that's cool.

Last edited by 83; 03-05-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 AM

Definately want to see how this goes together!!! Subscribed!
Great job so far!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Looks sweet... don't sweat replacing the stove gas line it probably should be replaced anyway... at that age I would'nt trust any of the plumbing/wiring.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Sweet I like it it just looks so retro it's wonderful, can you add some puke green shag somewhere just because it will be wonderful
Old 03-06-2013, 06:17 AM

Yeah most of the wiring and piping will be replaced.

I just pulled yellow shag out of the cab! It's not going back in...that would be cool though.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Dude any modern day pimp daddy knows shag is so last century... these days you gots ta have mink on da floor... I'd go with a nice cut-pile carpet in black with the mas backing...
very good insulation qualities and high class... you can get it in rolls to do the back matching if you want... check out the auto carpet suppliers online.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Dude any modern day pimp daddy knows shag is so last century... these days you gots ta have mink on da floor... I'd go with a nice cut-pile carpet in black with the mas backing...
very good insulation qualities and high class... you can get it in rolls to do the back matching if you want... check out the auto carpet suppliers online.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:44 AM

I will, thanks! Sounds like some sound-deadening properties in that stuff, too. Which is good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '78 Chinook Newport Project