Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1982 SR5 Long Bed

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 SR5 Long Bed

Hey all,
I picked up this '82 Long Bed on Sunday. The PO was able to get it running with fuel directly into the carburetor, my dad and were able to do the same to get it parked in the driveway.
1982 SR5 Long Bed-fins1e1.jpg

1982 SR5 Long Bed-gxu7ovl.jpg

1982 SR5 Long Bed-mkuifef.jpg

The seats were torn out and are sitting in the back

1982 SR5 Long Bed-tx7exon.jpg

1982 SR5 Long Bed-lpbtb0g.jpg

Thought it might have just been the fuel pump needed to get it running, so I swapped that this morning. Got it to turn over maybe 5 or 6 times before the battery was too low to turn the engine over any more... I figure with just that small amount of turning over was not enough to get the fuel replaced in the pump and lines. Have considered replacing the fuel filter but dang! The gas in this thing is dirty!
1982 SR5 Long Bed-htkrbkx.jpg

1982 SR5 Long Bed-etbqild.jpg

Looks like the carb was rebuilt at some point by a reputable shop!
1982 SR5 Long Bed-faax9w2.jpg

RATS!
1982 SR5 Long Bed-wdpcejh.jpg

1982 SR5 Long Bed-k0mswxu.jpg

Undercarriage has some surface rust too, but no cancer thank God.
1982 SR5 Long Bed-nwtwyxb.jpg

1982 SR5 Long Bed-iwsnnx8.jpg

Just realized that the sticks in this picture are from a rats nest that was between the starter and engine before I cleaned it out.
1982 SR5 Long Bed-l32iqms.jpg

Close up of the surface rust on the roof, which I'll take care of once I've gotten her running
1982 SR5 Long Bed-lsx7skq.jpg

1982 SR5 Long Bed-vknjcux.jpg

Last edited by The Harrison; 02-18-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:16 PM

You should just give me your bed and save yourself the trouble.

that baby has tons of potential, how much did you get it for?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:06 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
looks like a great base ..
what are your plans ?

Old 04-03-2014, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rowdydudeman
You should just give me your bed and save yourself the trouble.

that baby has tons of potential, how much did you get it for?
Haha think I'll be keeping this one. Yeah I'm really stoked! And the price is information that I cannot disclose, but well below what running ones in my area go for. It was on Craigslist, and I'm sure people were calling him constantly.

Originally Posted by slacker
looks like a great base ..
what are your plans ?

Plans are for a relatively stock, and capable DD for now -->
1. Get it running (the new fuel pump didn't solve the issue, I'll be dropping the tank within the next week and replacing all vacuum lines)
2. Change out fluids then diff, tranny, transfer case breathers --> SMOG/Registration (even though this thing hadn't been registered for >7 years it was non-opped so that's pretty nice, just a title transfer fee and Nola reg fees...
3. Depending on the ride change out shocks/springs, new tires!
4. Take care of the rust
5. Paint
6. Fab up something to replace this ugly rear bumper, maybe make something for the front too.

Tried starting it with the new fuel pump last night, when my battery got to the house... Fuel directly in the carb but not running much past that if at all. I'll be changing out all the vacuum lines and dropping the tank. Speaking of which, how many feet of vacuum line should I buy to replace them on the entire tuck?

I'll be working on this around my work schedule which is pretty ridiculous as I work two jobs and I just got offered a new one that I plan on taking; so progress might be a little slow but I do need to get this running soon, so that'll expedite things (I hope).

Last edited by The Harrison; 04-03-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:27 PM

Looks good Harrison, I have your truck's sibling. I look forward to watching yours come together
Old 04-09-2014, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Wulfdan
Looks good Harrison, I have your truck's sibling. I look forward to watching yours come together
Thanks Wulfdan! I checked out yours too. Looks good.

Today I got back to being able to work on the truck! Decided to check and see if i could keep her running by bypassing the fuel filter and running gas straight to the fuel pump. Started up and sounds great! I was planning on taking the bench seat from my wrecked '87 2wd, however a guy cruised up and asked me if the wrecked truck was for sale, told him it was for the right price as it was going to be headed to the wrecking yard as soon as I'd pulled the engine from it. He offered me almost twice as much as the wrecking yard (For my rusty, little, wrecked 2WD!!!), but he wanted the bench seat included, so I was more than happy to oblige (I'll find another seat at the local pick your part, no prob).

Aside from that I'm on light duty for the next couple of days, so not really going to strain myself with working on this truck. I pulled out the plastic bed liner, it's in pretty good condition aside from a couple of cracks. Are these worth any money? I think that thing has been on there since the truck pulled off the lot. So much dirt, leaves, etc. under the liner. But did find a couple copper fittings, so I've got that going for me which is nice.

Hoping to pull the tank next week, and blow the lines out with my compressor.

Here's a couple pics:

All clean after taking out the bedliner

Looked pretty good with the bench, but I'll find something nicer!
1982 SR5 Long Bed-ki8wyud.jpg

1982 SR5 Long Bed-mchfwif.jpg

Once I get the lines cleaned out and tank taken care of I'll get to work on the smog stuff...

1982 SR5 Long Bed-s6bawf8.jpg

1982 SR5 Long Bed-z9ld0fc.jpg

1982 SR5 Long Bed-lm8pizn.jpg

As you can see, my work is cut out for me, but I'll get her running. Does anyone have pics of '82 smog stuff? I'd be stoked to have another reference for this thing.

Last edited by The Harrison; 02-18-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya man chasing down wiring and all those vacuum hoses can be a pain.
Some good links here. For starters.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...-ideal-212687/
Old 04-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
it looks like your t/c is a goner anyway but just a heads up, flat towing a toyota truck with out pulling the rear driveshaft is not a good idea.
1) Marlin of Marlin Crawler says that the transfer case doesn't get properly lubed- even if the t/c and transmission are put into neutral
2) i destroyed a transmission when it slipped into gear somehow when flat towing...expensie lesson
Old 05-14-2014, 09:11 AM

gotta love 1st gen rust
Old 05-26-2014, 10:32 AM

Good find!

The light surface rust makes the final look after paint, all the more impressive.

Any plans body wise? Are you keeping her the same color?
Old 12-03-2015, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Harrison
Thanks Wulfdan! I checked out yours too. Looks good.

Today I got back to being able to work on the truck! Decided to check and see if i could keep her running by bypassing the fuel filter and running gas straight to the fuel pump. Started up and sounds great! I was planning on taking the bench seat from my wrecked '87 2wd, however a guy cruised up and asked me if the wrecked truck was for sale, told him it was for the right price as it was going to be headed to the wrecking yard as soon as I'd pulled the engine from it. He offered me almost twice as much as the wrecking yard (For my rusty, little, wrecked 2WD!!!), but he wanted the bench seat included, so I was more than happy to oblige (I'll find another seat at the local pick your part, no prob).

Aside from that I'm on light duty for the next couple of days, so not really going to strain myself with working on this truck. I pulled out the plastic bed liner, it's in pretty good condition aside from a couple of cracks. Are these worth any money? I think that thing has been on there since the truck pulled off the lot. So much dirt, leaves, etc. under the liner. But did find a couple copper fittings, so I've got that going for me which is nice.

Hoping to pull the tank next week, and blow the lines out with my compressor.

Here's a couple pics:

All clean after taking out the bedliner

Looked pretty good with the bench, but I'll find something nicer!

Once I get the lines cleaned out and tank taken care of I'll get to work on the smog stuff...

As you can see, my work is cut out for me, but I'll get her running. Does anyone have pics of '82 smog stuff? I'd be stoked to have another reference for this thing.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Truck look solid and not really hacked up. Great find.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally love the look of a rusty old 82 4x4. Those door panels look amazing from what I can see. Usually they're just trash.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:29 AM

Looks a lot like mine. I just got done sanding all the crappy maco rusty paint off my 83. Mine was sitting for a long time too. Luckily all my smog was still on.