2010+ 4Runner 5th gen 4Runners

5th Gen Rear Speakers Parallel Wiring Mod (The Easy Way)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 06:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
5th Gen Rear Speakers Parallel Wiring Mod (The Easy Way)

I've been looking around and I couldn't find anywhere where people showed how to make the rear 4 speakers on a 5th gen wired parallel. The speakers are 4 ohms each so you get 8 ohms with both on (No Party Mode) or 4 ohms with just the tail gate (Party Mode).

I didn't want to run all new wires to the speakers because I'm lazy. But I do have all the wiring diagrams so I decided to go about it the easy way.

Here are the diagrams for my 2010 SR5 without Nav or JBL system.

If you pay close attention you will realize that all wires for all 4 rear speakers go through connector FG1 and they are just sitting there ripe for the re-arranging. There are probably a number of ways to do this but I decided to do it with the fewest cuts and the least soldering. Plus how I did it saves the party mode relay, it just works the opposite of how it used to. (Pressed turns on all 4, off turn on only the doors).

Below is a markup of what I did.

The next question is, where is the plug FG1 located? Turns out it is fairly easy to get to. It is located directly behind the gauge cluster. I won't go over how to remove the gauge cluster because i was able to find instructions for that fairly easily. But here is a picture of what you will find.

It seems backwards, but the right side is the speaker side, and the left side is the stereo receiver and part relay side.

For the left hand speakers I cut the two big yellow wires which are pin 16 and 12. Then I solder them back together on pin 12.
The right hand is similar but it is the two big white wires which are pin 6 and 14. Then I soldered them back Together on pin 14.

I can't grantee that all years and all trims will use the same colors or same pin locations. If you try this at home, I would highly recommend you get a 48 hr pass to the TIS and grab your Audio Wiring Diagram.

Here is a picture of how mine looked after my soldering handy work.

After some quick electrical taping, I used my multi meter to see what the results are.

I took my measurements at the head unit. Here is my resistance with the party mode off.

Here is the impedance with the Party mode on.

The results were exactly as I imagined they would be. Roughly 4 ohms with just the rear doors connected. (party mode off) and roughly 2 ohms with both doors and back gate speakers (party mode on).

I stuck my head by all the speakers to confirm that it was working as intended.

And after a test drive, I can confirm that there is more power going to the back. As of now I only have a Kenwood double din stereo running everything. But in the next few days I will have a Kicker 250.4 amp on all the speakers.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
After driving to work this morning, I learned that my head unit is not rated for 2 ohms. It went in and out of protection mode so I had to leave the party mode switch off so it was at 4 ohms. I got the amplifiers wired in today so that doesnt matter anymore.

Now this is possibly the most disappointing part, I cant tell the difference with the door speakers on, or all 4 of them on. I checked all of them to make sure they were outputting what they should, but sitting in the front seat I couldn't tell a bit of difference. Maybe with a 10 inch sub back there, they just get drowned out? Or maybe there is so much sound coming from the other 6 speakers you cant tell anyway?

But all the stock speakers sound crystal clear with a separate amp, it is definitely a better investment than replacing speakers and keeping a stock or aftermarket head unit.