Other Makes Cars/Trucks Own a different car or truck other than a Toyota?

GM restorations (my real job)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
That is a nice looking car. Those had the weight and rode well.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
Yes thanks for the tip! I was definitely planning to tack in some bracing before even considering taking off the body. First I have to tackle the bottom of the A-pillars, they're pretty much gone, I can stick my hand inside. I called the few salvage yards in the US with a 67/68, 88 or 98 Olds in their lot, that have enough taken off it to even consider robbing the pillars too -- the cheapest was $700 for just the cut-out parts and they're in another state! For that much I could buy another parts car, the bigger air compressor I'll eventually need, fab tools and/or lots of materials to complete the project I'm planning to mock up a cardstock template based on the parts car and hand fabricate it, it will also get sleeved inside the top of the pillar and into the rocker with a few rosette welds for strength - think that will work?
Sounds like a plan. I know right where your talking about the issue. This 73 has it near the dash on the passenger side.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Good to hear you think it might work. Thery're pretty bad, I can stick my hand in there!
GM restorations (my real job)-zr4i2tw.jpg
Old 03-09-2017, 05:32 PM

You've got your work cut out for you. Did you try Desert Valley Auto Parts? And have you pulled the front fenders off to see how far the rust goes into the firewall. You may be able to get the firewall and what you need at a reasonable price from them. Send me the link for your build. I'd like to check it out.

I was only at my shop a few hours today. I'm working on getting the body bushings out to order a new set. Hope to make a lot of progress this weekend.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:17 AM

Ordered body bushings from Summit today. Luckily after bathing the body bolts in PB blaster, I was able to remove each one without any breaking. Hopefully the new set comes with grade 8 bolts. Summit wasn't able to tell what they were. If they are something other than grade 8 I will be going to the hardware store for some
Old 03-15-2017, 04:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes DVAP is one of the few yards with one in their inventory. They're the ones who wanted $700 for those two pillars cut out. I never asked about the entire firewall. I have not yet pulled any parts from this car, crossing my fingers it hasn't spread very far
Old 03-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

After you mentioned Summit for bushings, I checked them and was surprised at what all they do offer. Some reason I never thought to check them. Thanks
Old 03-16-2017, 05:42 PM

@Highonpottery
man those guys out there make a killing! I was able to get some small trim pieces for my 55 Chevy wagon there on the cheap. They wanted my first born for a roof and floor so we made them out of fiberglass.

Terry, i like Summit for alot of stuff for the American cars and trucks. They have a pretty quick turn around but sometimes shipping is on the high side.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:13 PM

I got the body bushing kits from summit racing. What a grade a product. They were drop shipped so it took a little longer but well worth the wait. Also had the front fenders Zinc coated today. Will post up pics when I take delivery of the finished product
Old 04-09-2017, 07:42 PM

Ordered some lead and new paddles to do some lead work on this project. There is a joint above the trunk deck that the lead filler is going to work perfect for. Lead is a lot more flexible than plastic body filler and lasts a lifetime when the surface is prepped correctly. I am going to use some where the door and body meets as well to fine tune the gaps. Its especially handy in the windshield frame and A pillars
Old 04-14-2017, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

One of these days I want to try doing some lead work. Seen it done on car shows but never in person. I would prefer lead over bondo.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:18 PM

Hey Terry. Man ive been so busy but havent gotten anything done! It seems trip to doctors, errands, family in town, etc gives very little time to work. My lead hasnt come in yet but hopefully by Monday as i really need to get this pontiac ready for paint before we start hitting triple digit temps and high humidities. Thats a bad recipe for a paint job. My grandpa taught me to do the lead work on an old 68 mustang. We were replacing a rear quarter that a deer ran into. I took all the fasteners off and was just about to cut the top edge with a gringing wheel. I looked over and he was laughing at me. He showed me that the seam at the roof had a factory lead bead holding the quarter on. Then proceeded to show me the tricks in laying it down properly. I hope to be able to pass knowledge on to my grandkids this way. My 3 oldest are girls, and if my wife has her way they will stay girls. But my youngest grandchild is a Boy! Yeah for boys. Hes just over a year old but i will have him helping me soon enough.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:43 AM

Monte SS

Today I'm laying out graphics for race stripes I'm using a 3m masking tape for my rough layout. After it's dialed in, I'll do my measurements, pull the tape, wipe it down with wax and grease remover and then lay down the 3m fine line tape. There will be a lot of sanding and prep before I can shoot it GM silver. The owner also wants to spray a 6" silver stripe along the bottom

Old 06-17-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always had a thing for that body style Monte Carlo.. I like those and the Cutlasses. Always make me happy to see them without 28" rims on them. I mean I like 28" inch rims lol I think gaudiness is an American tradition re: automotives, but seeing them in their classic form is nice.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:53 PM

The p/o did have this thing hoopdeed out. It came to me complete with ostrich hide interior, a speaker bank in the trunk, 24's, and it also had a custom skull and ghost paint job lol. Straight from the hood in Hillsborough county
Old 06-18-2017, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me and my brother saw a Cadillac on what had to be 30" rims recently. Lol they're called "donks" up here
Old 06-18-2017, 10:08 AM

I seem to have more of an appreciation for them than the low riders
Old 06-18-2017, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I must be getting old as in my younger days I wanted to change cars and trucks so much and now I like seeing them in stock condition. With the heat you are having to deal with, it does make painting tough. Sometimes I have painted at night just to wait for the temperture to come down. Funny you mention learning lead on a 68 Mustang. That is the car that I learned so much of my mechanic skills on. It would of been a good candidate for body work as well. Trying to get things to slow down so I can get back out in the shop.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:16 AM

Heck yea Terry, the heat and humidity are killers. It's so hard to spray the two part clear since it flashes before it flows out. Make wet sanding suck that much more haha. When I do spray it will be about 4 in the morning. I'll tack it off real quick and then get to it. I'm in Atlanta today picking up a 90 4Runner and then to South Carolina tomorrow for an 86 with major front end damage. Have a good one and thanks for checking in
Old 08-27-2017, 09:44 AM

Been so busy getting my side business going and just life in general, luckily the owner of the SS is patient. Everyone that watches the tv shows thinks vehicles get restored in a week. Truly not the case. I've had multiple projects going on since last summer and with no good help it's been a long road. I won't do classic cars anymore unless they're mine. Folks just don't like seeing a bill with 1400 labor hours on it no matter how bad there car was.

Well retaped the stripes and if if I can get the ac to pull the humidity out of the shop, I'll shoot color in the middle of the night and then clear tomorrow eve