Motorcycles Motorcycles of any kind including ATVs

Calling all sportbike owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you wanting a street bike or a sport touring bike??? if you want a street bike start off small with a 600 being that your a new rider...thats what i did....then i got a 2002 954 which is sick fast but not to aftyer i learned to ride good....
P.S. and dont spend alot of money on your first bike just incase you lay it over, and remember when in dout lean it out!!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I want a street bike. And i dont plan on spending tons.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:46 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
i forgot to add the SV650...japanese v-twin, huge favorite track day bike by many, and Suzuki just released a new, absent for a few years, 2010 model. Not the fastest bike, but a japanese v-twin = low maintenance & torque. You can put a full faring on the SVs if that is what you are looking to do, shark skins are pretty cheap.
SVs can be found pretty cheap searchtempest.com will search all craigslist ads within a radius you specify. and tons of aftermarket parts.
Since you are in PA, you have access to loads of amazing roads. Highways are for distance traveling, backroads are more fun. After you get some saddle time, look into a track day. Most clubs will have beginner courses for cheap, and you'll get schooled by a Pro(usually retired). Track time IMO, especially with a sportbike,or motard, helps you understand your bikes limits. You won't(shouldn't) ever ride like you will on the track, but in a pinch you may need to get out of harms way and your knowledge of your bikes limits could be life saving. And track days are addicting. My last track day was at Pocono in the rain, i rode that track faster and harder then i have ever ridden on dry familiar roads, traction was unbeleivable...it's a learning experience.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:30 AM

How do you guys feel about the Katana?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:44 AM

No, its air-cooled, heavy as hell, and AWEFUL resale value... You'll quickly be bored with it and want something else. They leave a LOT to be desired. I wouldnt spend more than $1500 or so on one if you could find a used one.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 AM

haha, a can-o-tuna (katana) is not your best bet. look into a few bikes, the suzuki SV650, the yamaha FZ6R, and the kawasaki 650R. all are pretty much the best starter bikes you will find and with those 3 bikes you will have good ergonomics and your motor configuration to choose from. the suzuki has a v-twin, the yamaha a I4 and the kawasaki has a parallel twin (my favorite motor style).. and if you want new and naked the kawasaki ER-6N is an amazing bike..
Old 08-03-2010, 09:24 AM
RBX

air-cooled bikes will not make the hp there hydrated kin will of similar displacement. My 800cc is air-cooled and makes a whopping 80hp, after some mods. But my bike only weighs 370lbs. There are few to no decent sportbikes that are air cooled IIRC.
A bike is not like a car. If you go buy a car, you can get small engine, crank windows, no a/c.... and its cheaper then the big engine, electrical...blah, blah. With a bikeyou have no other options except displacement, and maybe some bolt on bling. We all know that a 600cc inline four will cost realativaly the same amount of money to build with larger displacement(1000 or 750), the engines are almost identical. So the bike manufacturers have to charge more for better, right? So they will upgrade the suspension and brakes, generally, on the larger cc bikes. So you could get a smaller affordable cc bike, and find used parts for your bike that will increase its ridability...i have fully adjustable GSXR forks on my Ducati...shhh, don't tell.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
air-cooled bikes will not make the hp there hydrated kin will of similar displacement. My 800cc is air-cooled and makes a whopping 80hp, after some mods. But my bike only weighs 370lbs. There are few to no decent sportbikes that are air cooled IIRC.
A bike is not like a car. If you go buy a car, you can get small engine, crank windows, no a/c.... and its cheaper then the big engine, electrical...blah, blah. With a bikeyou have no other options except displacement, and maybe some bolt on bling. We all know that a 600cc inline four will cost realativaly the same amount of money to build with larger displacement(1000 or 750), the engines are almost identical. So the bike manufacturers have to charge more for better, right? So they will upgrade the suspension and brakes, generally, on the larger cc bikes. So you could get a smaller affordable cc bike, and find used parts for your bike that will increase its ridability...i have fully adjustable GSXR forks on my Ducati...shhh, don't tell.
And actually alot of parts between the same manufacture are interchangeable for instance gsxr 600 750 1000 some parts are interchangable
Old 08-03-2010, 02:04 PM
RBX

^^^....what he said

I also have an R1 radial master cylinder, because it's a Brembo and cheaper then the actual Brembo radial mc.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman85
haha, a can-o-tuna (katana) is not your best bet. look into a few bikes, the suzuki SV650, the yamaha FZ6R, and the kawasaki 650R. all are pretty much the best starter bikes you will find and with those 3 bikes you will have good ergonomics and your motor configuration to choose from. the suzuki has a v-twin, the yamaha a I4 and the kawasaki has a parallel twin (my favorite motor style).. and if you want new and naked the kawasaki ER-6N is an amazing bike..
Originally Posted by RBX

ahhh ok i gotchya. The only other thing im worried about is insurance.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
ahhh ok i gotchya. The only other thing im worried about is insurance.
anything over 749cc insurance companies will nail ya. Being your first bike I wouldnt go over 600 maybe sv650 v twin. Plenty of power in these bikes. frankly i dont think height should be a factor in buying a street bike. a Hyabusa has a shorter seat height then 600,and is a big guys bike. but its way to much for a newb.

Dont spend alot cuz you are going to wreck. buy a dual sport. road n dirt in 1 bike. Google Aprillia sxv 550.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:03 PM
RBX

Two kinds of riders, those that have wrecked and those that will.

Also;
Ride like you're invisible, everyone hates invisible people.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:08 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by RBX
Two kinds of riders, those that have wrecked and those that will.

Also;
Ride like you're invisible, everyone hates invisible people.
Exactly
Old 08-07-2010, 07:09 AM

Nevin is right about insurance!!! And x2 on the 600 idea!!! Burn rubber not your souls!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by yotamonsta-
Nevin is right about insurance!!! And x2 on the 600 idea!!! Burn rubber not your souls!!!
True, true.