Motorcycles Motorcycles of any kind including ATVs

any motorcycle guys on the board?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any motorcycle guys on the board?

I've long wanted a motorcycle, and this summer just may be the time. Problem is, I don't know much about them, and I don't know anyone who does. So I'm kinda shooting blanks here when I try to decide what I want.

I know I want a cheap crusier - cheap because I know it's just a matter of time before I lay it down, and a cruiser because I'm not into crotch rockets. I'm about 5-10, 180lbs, so I want to stay with something relatively light and manageable.

I really like the HondaShadow Sabre, but it's more than I want to spend and it feels awful big. I sat on one at the dealer and it just felt huge. I was much more comfortable on the smaller 750s. So now I'm looking at the Shadow ACE 750 Deluxe and the new Shadow Aero.

So now my questions...
Are honda bikes decent? I don't need the fastest or the biggest or the loudest bike on the road... I just want something that won't leak oil and is fun to ride.

The bike would have to be stored during the winter since I live in the northeast. Is winterizing a bike basically the same as winterizing a car?

Why do used bikes lose their value sooo fast?

What's the advantages/disadvantages of shaft drive vs chain drive vs belt drive?

Anything else I should know as I look at various bikes?
Old 03-25-2004, 10:05 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Motorcycles

I grew up riding bikes as my uncle owned a motorcycle shop. He sold Kawasakis and Harleys before they became a yuppie fashion statement, and dealt in a lot of used bikes as well. I haven't been on one in a while and probably won't get back on one on the road. Car vs. motorcycle - the motorcycle might fair okay but you go splat! I'll stick to dirt bikes and dodging things that stay still!

I always liked a 750, enough power to get up and out of the way, but not a rocket launcher between your legs and not too heavy to be manageable. Personally, I always preferred chain drive as that you could fix it yourself pretty easily if broken and they seem to hold up better IMO than the belt driven bikes. Shaft drive is a PITA to get fixed if you have problems. I always preferred the Harleys anyway to the imports, so that is pretty much what I'd buy if I was in the market.

Good luck and be safe!!!

Old 03-25-2004, 11:53 AM

I've been riding for about 2 years now, I love it!
I have a '95 Yamaha FZR600, great bike, but its a sportbike, so not down your alley.

Honda's have a great reputation - Honda actually started designing and selling cars just so he could fund his motorcycle racing bug!

I agree with W on the chain drive - even if you royally screw it up, only $100 bucks to slap on a new chain and sprockets (which means you can change your gearing/accelleration very easily too).
Old 03-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Banned

More CCs = higher purchase price, higher insurance rates, and obviously figher fuel cost.

Shaft drive is virtually maintainence free, just change the gear oil every 2 years and it will last forever. Chain drive has to be adjusted and lubed every 300 miles and the chain has to be replaced after about 3000 miles. Sprockets have to be replaced every 10,000 miles depending on adjustment and lube they've been given. Belt drive robs too much power because of all of the friction involved between the rubber belt and metal pulleys. Those belts get HOT at speed.

Go used for your first bike. A Suzuki GS 500, Honda CB500 or something similar sounds like what you'd like.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you are looking for a cruiser i would really consider the suzuki intruder 800, they are cheap, reliable, and will be very comfortable for a guy your size. my dad is a little under 6' and he loves his, i enjoy riding it too, but at 6'3" feel a bit cramped on it. my dad has been riding for 40 years and has had this bike for 5 years now and during that time we have seen a few others (Harley's) come and go but this one seems to have a permanent spot at our house. Best part is that they have been around forever with no major changes so they are really inexpensive.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:30 PM
Banned

Check this.

Shaft drive, low seat height, V twin, long streched stylish look.

I don't advise buying something sight unseen, shipped across the country but it might give you an idea of what is available.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:43 PM

License to Ill

Been a motorcycle rider since '76. Been licensed since '81.

Here's a list of bikes I have had:

74 Suzuki TM100
75 Suzuki TS185
75 Honda CM500T
79 Honda XL250R
84 Honda FT500
84 Honda CB650SC Night Hawk

Donated the Honda Night Hawk last year ... looking to score another dual purpose this year.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by jx94148
Go used for your first bike. A Suzuki GS 500, Honda CB500 or something similar sounds like what you'd like.
I probably will. I've been looking around and I can find very low mile 750s for under 4 grand.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Bought this 96 shadow 600 4 yrs ago, excellant bike,no problems. I added K&N, jet kit,drag pipes. But I'm 6'1" ,could use the bigger shadow,next time.

It hauls me and girlfriend no problem thou. I always had good luck with hondas.

Last edited by 86toyota; 03-26-2004 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:26 AM

I was in the same boat as you when I went to buy my first motorcycle. I would highly recommend getting a Yamaha V-star Classic, 650cc. That bike was wonderful. It had a very low center of gravity, and was very nice and long. After I bought a 1 1/2" lowering kit it made it even more of a pleasure to ride. Plus I bought it brand new in 2000 for only $7000, and ended up selling it for about $4000 a year ago. That certainly falls into your price range.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:04 AM

Sorry, just the rockets(CBR900SS;R1)!
Old 03-26-2004, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by deschet13
I was in the same boat as you when I went to buy my first motorcycle. I would highly recommend getting a Yamaha V-star Classic, 650cc.
Yea, I like the look of the V-stars a lot. The hondas and the Yamahas are my first choice. The Yamahas are easier to find and a little cheaper (if they are used), but I thought the hondas might be more reliable.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
Yea, I like the look of the V-stars a lot. The hondas and the Yamahas are my first choice. The Yamahas are easier to find and a little cheaper (if they are used), but I thought the hondas might be more reliable.
Been doing a fair amount of looking this summer... still waiting for a good deal on something I like.

Seems like a lot of bikes I look at are belt driven... especially bikes with more power. If they are so inefficient... why do manufacturers use them - there must be some advantage - strength perhaps?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

If you don't mind going "standard" instead of cruiser, I really like the old honda nighthawk I just picked up. $1,100 for a never-dropped 450. (Uh, never dropped before I got it, anyway! ) Definitely not a crotch-rocket!

and they exist in every CC you might want over the years, and generally pretty reasonable prices.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:01 PM
WT

Okay I know you said you prefer a non-sports bike but this is what I got a few months ago and love it good price new and was considering this one (Yamaha FZ6) and the SV-650 from Suzuki both have great prices new and have plenty of get up and go and just looks good, You will be suprised how all dealers want to bargin a little except Honda atleast thats what I found out from my experiance. I ended up with the FZ6
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...83261226nWtuPn
and they both allow you to sit upright more not like a full sports bike, trust me to old to be leaning that far over to have fun.
just my .02 plus Yamaha has a good deal on finacing now. I will say check with your insurance first so you know how much its going to cost. I found that State Farm does it by engine CC's and your personal credit history so its usualy the best deal.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

I bought a used katana 600 this summer. .. Its not a full sport bike, you sit up straight, and your legs aren't bent in. Its been great. It doesn't take much to learn. I literally went to B&N and read a couple of chapters in two books, about about bike operations and road handling techniques and then went out and got on my first bike and rode it home on the highway in Friday afternoon rush hour. =)

Everyone told me to get a small bike to learn on. But I knew I would outgrow it quickly, and I was right. I have a 600cc now, and thats a good size to learn on and still have some fun with once you get the hang of things. If I had gotten anything smaller, I probably would have traded it in by now. So don't buy a small bike, get something a little bigger, and take it easy the first couple of months.

I'm looking into getting a cruiser myself, and I'm either going to go with the New Suzuki cruisers, or the yamaha ones. If your going to be riding around a city then definitely get a sport bike .. I lane split everyday and get to work in less then 30 min. In the truck its one hour and thirty to one hour and fortry five min. But if your just going to be hitting the highways then stick with the cruisers. After about 2-3 hours the sport bike just isn't fun anymore.

I finally got into a MSF class on Oct 7th, so I should have my liscence soon as well.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:31 AM

honda rebel 250
Old 09-21-2004, 07:01 AM

Have you considered a BMW motorcycle? They are the most reliable motorcycles by far. I recently just sold my fifteen year old BMW after having ridden it over 100K miles. I did squat to the bike except oil changes, brakes pads and tires.........

Buy a bike with "shaft drive" then you do not ever have service a dirty, greasy chain!

Now that I have sold it, I dearly miss it.

And BTW if you look at the ebay pay under BMW bikes you will find out they are very reasonable.

http://motors.listings.ebay.com/BMW_...custoverrideZ1

Last edited by jrallan26; 09-21-2004 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:31 AM

BMW,
got a guy at work w/ over 250k and he has never been into the bottom end of motor, their bikes are incredibly reliable.

Don't see a bike in my future, wife wants us to get Harley and I would rather have a Ducati....
Old 10-07-2012, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

Dual Sport Bike

Anyone ride a BMW R1200GS?
Looking to purchase over the winter and would like to get opinions. I know all the Pros, any Cons?

Quick Reply: any motorcycle guys on the board?