Cycling Mountain biking, road biking, any type of pedal powered biking

How do you carry your bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you carry your bikes?

Howdy. I recently got a 1993 pickup, and I've been using it to haul mountain bikes to the trail pretty frequently. So far I've just been laying all the bikes over on each other in the bed. The problems with this are that the bikes get tangled on each other, they can scratch each other up, you can only fit about three before they're stacked too high, and they basically take up all of the space back there. So I'm looking for ideas for something better.

I kind of like the fork mounts. I could mount a few of those to the front of the bed right against rhe back window. Pluses there are that they look pretty professional and wouldn't have to be removed. You can also get locking ones. The downside is that even with quick release hubs it's a bit of a hassle to take wheels off every time you want to toss the bike in the bed. They also get a bit expensive when you look at buying three or four of them.

I also thought about hanging over the tailgate like you see those guys with the Dakine blankets do. Has anybody here tried this? I think our beds are too shallow for it to work right. The top of the tailgate gets nowhere close to the top of the downtube. It sits in the middle of the downtube and the bike seems totally uninterested in staying located side to side. Anybody tried it with any success?

There are also those homemade triangle things that capture the front tire between two tubes. Those seem like they might work, but they're big and bulky, and there's no way I'd want to leave them taking up bed space all the time.

So what do you guys do? Any simple and cheap solutions out there?
Old 10-21-2009, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nobody else has looked for a better way to haul bikes in their pickup than piling them on top of each other?
Old 10-21-2009, 04:15 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thule hitch mount.
This one is off road worthy, very sturdy.
Thule T2

On my vacation I traveled over washboarded logging roads, and the rack and bike harldy moved.
The rack is built for this kind of use.