Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

**CNlight HID Conversion Kits**

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-27-2007, 08:43 PM

Should I have installed the bulb a particular way in the 4Runner housing?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:49 PM

If it's possible to get it pointed down, it doesn't hurt. But in my experience, it's not as important.

For projectors though, I saw pictures of a Volvo guy with projectors and he was getting a funky Batman like beam pattern because he installed his lights wrong.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As for the 25mm hole they tell you to drill, thats for the rubber boot cover on the back of the housing, not the housing its self. I ended up trimming mine out with some small scissors, then it will slide over the plastic body of the HID bulb.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:00 PM

Some cars have a rubber boot. Others have a hard cap. Others have nothing.

My car had a hard cap so I had to drill a hole. I didn't have the right bit, so I literally spent 4-5 hours working on drilling that 1 inch hole.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:31 PM

Okay, I need help now. I looked at the Lexus quickly. I'll have to drill the hole in the hard cap dust cover. No biggie, I'll just get the right bit. But my problem is that the instructions don't really do any justice for an H1 install into the projector housing. I got the bulb in and locked with the clip. I understand where the two wires go I think. I've got a green and black one that plugged into the housing and then the big connector that clicked in the OEM wiring harness. So I set the ballast out and and the kit comes with an extension. What I don't understand is the OEM plug has an offset male and female connector. The CID hit comes with a normal two prong connector. The don't align. So, help.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by woody69
Okay, I need help now. I looked at the Lexus quickly. I'll have to drill the hole in the hard cap dust cover. No biggie, I'll just get the right bit. But my problem is that the instructions don't really do any justice for an H1 install into the projector housing. I got the bulb in and locked with the clip. I understand where the two wires go I think. I've got a green and black one that plugged into the housing and then the big connector that clicked in the OEM wiring harness. So I set the ballast out and and the kit comes with an extension. What I don't understand is the OEM plug has an offset male and female connector. The CID hit comes with a normal two prong connector. The don't align. So, help.
Double check the kit is H1.

Can you post a pic of your whole kit and your OEM plug?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

Woody what have you noticed about the moving bulb... is there a small motor in there or is it a solinoid type thing, and does the whole bulb assembly(including socket end) move back and forth or just the bulb itself (inside the lamp)? I'm still trying to deside between the moving and bi-xenon for the next GB.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:50 AM

[QUOTE=CamNub;50680334]Double check the kit is H1.

I'm an idiot. I was unplugging the connector to the positive and negative wires that plug into the existing bulb and ground. I realized that they just plug into the male ends of the kit and the extension gives me the reach to the ballast. Man, that is why no one responded. Because I've had a slight dusting in my brain. That's what I get for trying to do something late at night. No worries. I wonder though, if I should have gotten a relay. Surely the Lexus has it built into a relay. In fact I see a bank of them, marked relay and all the lights go to it.

Last edited by woody69; 11-28-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Woody what have you noticed about the moving bulb... is there a small motor in there or is it a solinoid type thing, and does the whole bulb assembly(including socket end) move back and forth or just the bulb itself (inside the lamp)? I'm still trying to deside between the moving and bi-xenon for the next GB.
To be honest, I can't tell. I was expecting something funky, but it looks just like the H1 kit I got. Must be something the bulb base that moves. It's quick, no delay. I know I felt a spring so it must push it back or forward. Now if I can just get my wifes Lexus finished. After all she is the one who complained the most. We just bought the wrong year of LX470. Should have waited two more years for OEM HID. You would think for 60K it would have been an option.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by CamNub
Double check the kit is H1.

Can you post a pic of your whole kit and your OEM plug?
I'm just an idiot and it was late at night. I've got it figured out. I was trying to hook it up like my relay set up on the 4runner. Man I feel stupid.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:16 PM

I'm just an idiot and it was late at night. I've got it figured out. I was trying to hook it up like my relay set up on the 4runner. Man I feel stupid.
Not a prob man! Post pics when you have them going!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lone4runner
ok ok here is what i have 2 relays taped together(how they came) 2 transformers, 2 ballasts. so i have the ground to the batery ground, positive wire then from there it goes into the relays then to the tranformers then to the ballasts. each bulb also has its own attachment to each factory wiring from the original headlights(i thought that only one would be attached but apparently both are. so now my situation after switching the bulbs and wires. i have the low beam when i turn the low beams on. and now when i use th high beams only the passenger side works. driver side never changes at all no matter what i try there.
also i did notice that the driver side has a 3rd contact from the HID bulb To the transformer where as the passenger side only has 2 contacts. i know this is hard to imagine. but any help would be apreciated thanks!. oh i checked all the fuses and none are blown and my factory fuses have been replaced with 30 amps fuses from the 10 amps that they were before.
I just talked to Jimmy about the high beams, and after looking at the wiring diagram again I figured out the problem. The transformer on the drivers side needs to be plugged into the stock headlight harness, but the pigtail for this was not packed in with my kit So apparently I wasn't thinking to clear when this issue was discovered, I didn't read over the diagram close enough.

The missing pigtail is on the far right in this picture that Jimmy sent me
http://www.msprotege.com/members/Blu...s/IMG_0350.JPG

I believe Jimmy will be checking with everyone that should have one, if they got one, and then having them shipped over.

But it all makes sense now, the transformer needs 12 volts powered into the circuit to trigger the high beams. The passenger side is wired into the stock harness through the relay circuit. But the drivers side is not hooked up at all.

As for the H4 connectors on the HID bulbs, one with 2 wires and the other with 3 wires. I asked Jimmy about those as well, and he told me that some housings have the connector inside. So this is simply a extension to get the H4 connector outside of the housing. I cut mine off before I even installed my kit, after reading over the manual and looking at the wiring diagram. I found no use for them.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:23 PM

I just sent out a PM to everyone w/ the True Bixenon kit. I'm pretty sure I messaged everyone, but if I missed you, or you didn't get my message, please let me know!

Edit: Also, if anyone with a regular kit is interested in a relay for their single beam, let me know. I can get you these relays while I'm at it. 10 bucks shipped.

Last edited by CamNub; 11-28-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Update. I popped the hood to check out the wiring and noticed that my drivers side was a bit brighter than the passenger side so then i realized that my high beam(drivers side) was always on.So on my drivers side i switched the low beam and high beam wires of the HID bulb. so now both my low beams are on and so all i need to do is get the drivers side to work on high lol. Im almost there. Lights are very nice though but i gotta reaim them. Get them just a bit higher.

Last edited by Lone4runner; 11-29-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:24 PM

Lone4runner, did you read my reply? Jimmy needs to have some plugs shipped over, that were left out of our kits. These plug connects the drivers side transformer to the stock headlight harness, triggering the high beams.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:24 AM
Contributing Member

Etype RLone4runner, did you read my reply? Jimmy needs to have some plugs shipped over, that were left out of our kits. These plug connects the drivers side transformer to the stock headlight harness, triggering the high beams.

Oops I forgot to mention that I am not missing that wire. Both of my lights are connected to the transformers with the 2 pigtails that I received and from there they go into the OEM harness. so for me this missing piece would not be the issue
Old 11-30-2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Etype R
I just talked to Jimmy about the high beams, and after looking at the wiring diagram again I figured out the problem. The transformer on the drivers side needs to be plugged into the stock headlight harness, but the pigtail for this was not packed in with my kit So apparently I wasn't thinking to clear when this issue was discovered, I didn't read over the diagram close enough.

The missing pigtail is on the far right in this picture that Jimmy sent me
http://www.msprotege.com/members/Blu...s/IMG_0350.JPG

I believe Jimmy will be checking with everyone that should have one, if they got one, and then having them shipped over.

But it all makes sense now, the transformer needs 12 volts powered into the circuit to trigger the high beams. The passenger side is wired into the stock harness through the relay circuit. But the drivers side is not hooked up at all.

As for the H4 connectors on the HID bulbs, one with 2 wires and the other with 3 wires. I asked Jimmy about those as well, and he told me that some housings have the connector inside. So this is simply a extension to get the H4 connector outside of the housing. I cut mine off before I even installed my kit, after reading over the manual and looking at the wiring diagram. I found no use for them.
So if I have the pigtail on the right in the picture I have all what is needed. I don't have the car with me so I can't validate the install.

On a side note, with the 9004 bi-xenon moving there was only one OEM plug needed to plug into the relay harness to switch on and switch between hi/lo. What is weird is that the bulb doesn't get brighter but moves back and forth creating a different light pattern. On low the pattern is more out in front of the vehicle and on high it scatters the beam all out front. Not sure if this is how it is supposed to work, I would imagine. I like it, and drove behind my wife and said that she didn't see any glare. I've passed several cops sitting on the side of the road and nothing. To be honest, some of the OEM HID's on cars seem to scatter more than what I have. I'll never get the cutoff like a projector or my Cibbies on the Bimmer, but definately like it. Now I need to get H3's for the fogs in the Lexus and my friend wants them for his Landcruiser. When is the next order?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:59 AM

So if I have the pigtail on the right in the picture I have all what is needed. I don't have the car with me so I can't validate the install.

On a side note, with the 9004 bi-xenon moving there was only one OEM plug needed to plug into the relay harness to switch on and switch between hi/lo. What is weird is that the bulb doesn't get brighter but moves back and forth creating a different light pattern. On low the pattern is more out in front of the vehicle and on high it scatters the beam all out front. Not sure if this is how it is supposed to work, I would imagine. I like it, and drove behind my wife and said that she didn't see any glare. I've passed several cops sitting on the side of the road and nothing. To be honest, some of the OEM HID's on cars seem to scatter more than what I have. I'll never get the cutoff like a projector or my Cibbies on the Bimmer, but definately like it. Now I need to get H3's for the fogs in the Lexus and my friend wants them for his Landcruiser. When is the next order?
That is correct. Only 1 OEM plug is needed because with the moving kit, the OEM plug is just a trigger for low or high beam. The bulb does not get brighter like a halogen bulb. The halogen has 2 filaments with different wattage. With the moving kit, it is the same bulb doing the high and low beam. It moves back for the high beam pattern via solenoid.

I have the moving on my protege. The high beams are a bit scattered and seem less bright because it doesn't reflect off the ground, but when there are folks taking midnight jogs and such, the high beams definitely reveals all.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:21 PM

anyone got updated pics??? Should have mine done end of week as I'm still awaiting my truck to be back in my hands.....

Josh

Quick Reply: **CNlight HID Conversion Kits**