Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Yokohama Geolander M/T +

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yokohama Geolander M/T +

Does anyone have any experience with these? They look pretty good but their isn't much opinion based info on the net other than the 3 reviews on tirerack.

I will be in the market for MT tires very soon and I want 305/70/R16's. This limits the selection quite a bit, so I am pretty much just comparing these with BFG MT's The price difference is a huge deciding factor ($167 vs $199 each on tirerack) so I am looking for some first hand experience from someone with these tires.

I've read most of the hundreds of tire threads on this forum over the past couple years, so I already know all about how much you guys like your BFG's. If you want to plead your case for BFG's please justify them costing more than the Yoko's.
If possible, please keep the discussion limited to these two choices.

YOKO's:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....dar+M%2FT+Plus
BFG's:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rrain+T%2FA+KM

Thanks.

Last edited by TStango; 04-28-2005 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:35 AM
Banned

If they are anything like their AT + II, then I would get them. I honestly wanted them over the AT + II, but I do too much highway driving and they wouldn't have lasted more then 10,000 miles or so. I heard they have a crazy amount of grip no mater what surface you are on, they just wear fast. I must say though, my AT + II work better then some MT's I have seen.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

THEY ARE AMAZING. both onroad and off... I have them and actually lovem..
now i will say that that arent so hot for mud in comparison to bfgs, but mudding only breaks stuff anyways so why do it. i had all terrains on a previous vehicle and they were not bad on the highway and they were in no way bad off the pavement either.

all in all, they are both great tires but i think youll get more from Yoko... thats the reason yokos are highest rated tires.

btw, yokos rule in the rain, while all terrains slide easily...

EDIT: i thought you were talking about all terrains... I am referring to all terrains, sorry. but maybe this can help...

Last edited by 96LtdYota; 04-28-2005 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info guys. I have a set of 285/75/R16 Bridgestone Dueller Revos on the stock toyota rims for the winter season (I don't go offroad in the winter) so, I definitely want 305/70 MT's since they will be part time.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:28 AM

I would NOT get them. From the quick read I did, they are two-ply whereas the BFG's are 3-ply (at least my A/T's are). Also, the Yoko's tread design is asymetrical (directional), requiring a "left-side" and a "right-side" tire. I wouldn't let a $30/tire issue stop me from getting the tire I really want, and you can negotiate, too. I bought 5 BFG's with certificates from America's for $175/tire out-the-door.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Banned

Aren't firestones three ply as well? Point being, it's the manufacturer, the compound used, and the design that make a great tire. They could make a 100 ply firestone, and I still wouldn't get it due to the fact that they take no responsibility for their tires and care little for the consumer.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:16 AM

The MT + are 3 ply as well. They are directional. So it's best to keep a non-directional spare. They wear decently well on road. expect 35-40k. But they will wear very fast if you like to drive at high speeds (65+) due to the soft rubber compound.

If you want more opinions: http://gitout.com/forum/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0
Old 04-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RBLACAUSA
I would NOT get them. From the quick read I did, they are two-ply whereas the BFG's are 3-ply (at least my A/T's are). Also, the Yoko's tread design is asymetrical (directional), requiring a "left-side" and a "right-side" tire. I wouldn't let a $30/tire issue stop me from getting the tire I really want, and you can negotiate, too. I bought 5 BFG's with certificates from America's for $175/tire out-the-door.
You're comparing your ATs to the Yoks MTs and he's talking about BFG MTs. The regular Yok Geolandars ATs cost almost $60 less a tire and can go out the door for $105 a tire through Discount Tire and you have a mileage warranty plus better wet handling to boot if your truck is a daily driver;now if you off road alot then the BFGs might be the way to go but for on the street with occasional off road trips the Yoks are a better choice and much cheaper.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to add my .02, I have the MT's but not the +. I really like them and the wheel really well but the are a bitch to ballance and they are soft(hense wheel well). I hope the + tire addresses the balance issue. I got them beacuse I got a smokin' deal on them.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
You're comparing your ATs to the Yoks MTs and he's talking about BFG MTs. The regular Yok Geolandars ATs cost almost $60 less a tire and can go out the door for $105 a tire through Discount Tire and you have a mileage warranty plus better wet handling to boot if your truck is a daily driver;now if you off road alot then the BFGs might be the way to go but for on the street with occasional off road trips the Yoks are a better choice and much cheaper.
I know he's talking about the BFG MT's. The $30/tire number was based on the dollar amounts for each that the thread-starter posted, not on what I paid. I agree about taking the DD factor into consideration.

BTW, My first choice for my ride was NOT the BFG A/T's, but I was in a time crunch and the dealer was willing to haggle so I bought.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Ahh,gotcha. I wish the BFGs were a better daily driver tire since their aggressive look is so classic but I'm going with a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

Montypower,
Thanks for the link!
Yokohama Geolanders MT (My current tire)
Overall they are a very good tire. I siped mine and Don could notice the difference in traction between his Yoko's and mine.
Balance; I found that in the 33x12.5x15 size that they averaged ~1.5oz. per side or less!!!!!!! That is quality.
The sidewalls are VERY flexible, so they conform to most anything on the trail. I run 22 psi to 26 psi on the road, and 11 psi off road, and 6 psi in the sand, and have NEVER lost a bead. Compare my tires at 6 psi to Brots at 6 psi and his MTR's look like they have ~15+psi in them. The sidewalls are soft, but I've never come close to tearing one yet. Remember that "sammy sized" obsticle that was off to the left on firebreak-5. I got into that and got the tires wedged between the roots, and at one time, had a root knob almost 5" into the sidewall. I finally got out to look and saw it ~3" of it in the sidewall, and my spotters said, "it was alot worse before"
The root was in the tire so far that it pushed the bead off and air blew dirt out of the hole, but the bead remained seated!!! it was close. I bent my centerlink in that spot.
Road/hi-way use. Dry/wet/ice/snow traction is great. I see one drawback, but its not a problem for me. These tires do not like heat developed by high freeway speeds/temps. I go 60mph to 70mph and no faster, and have 34K on mine and will probably get 40K. If you drive fast, or drive fast in hot weather (Utah/Calif/Navada in summer) these guy will wear fast. That is the concensus Don and I, and of those that have had them, and live in those climates.
They are soft..... that means that if your alagnment is not spot on...they will suffer. Not a tire problem but ...well you know.

They are just releasing a new version of the MT, its the MT+ and it is supposed to be quieter, and last longer, yet still as good off road. Don's getting a set as soon as they are available, so we will know soon.

Here's the bottom line for me......I'll replace mine with the exact same tire next time. Thats a statement!

Sounds like a happy consumer to me. If he has 35k on the regular MT's and the M/T+ is supposed to wear better, this sounds promising. I noticed the M/T+'s look better than the MT's too. Function is important but, looks also do count on an expensive purchase like this.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

get buckshot mud tires... they have 6 ply and are damn aggressive...
Old 05-01-2005, 07:04 AM

Never saw the Yoko MT's until Friday. Was checking out the local trail conditions in the Land Cruiser and ran into a very nice Heep. He was running the new Yoko MT's and they were slinging mud, sand, etc. with gusto. He said he likes them much better than the BFG MT's and Procrap MT's he has used in the last three years.

I say go for it but buy them from a local dealer so you can take advantage of the 30 day guarantee.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RBLACAUSA
My 2 ply Yoko's have been through the hammers and all over Moab and Arizona.

I have yet to loose one. Don't really think the 2 ply/3 ply argument is valid.

The only tire I have lost on the trail was a Goodyear MT/R.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 96LtdYota
get buckshot mud tires... they have 6 ply and are damn aggressive...
buckshots were 2 or 3 ply, and they don't make them any more.

and they were TERRIBLE on the road. even my TSL swampers have better road manners.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TRunner
Aren't firestones three ply as well? Point being, it's the manufacturer, the compound used, and the design that make a great tire. They could make a 100 ply firestone, and I still wouldn't get it due to the fact that they take no responsibility for their tires and care little for the consumer.

firestone takes responsibility for their actions, i have no idea what you are talking about..... i used to work for a tire place (america's and wheel works) and can tell you that the whole ford explorer/firestone deal was mainly FORD's fault... you cannot put a 5000 pound truck, run @ 26 psi at excessive freeway speeds that american's drive at for extended periods of time and not expect a blow out.....
Old 05-01-2005, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
firestone takes responsibility for their actions, i have no idea what you are talking about..... i used to work for a tire place (america's and wheel works) and can tell you that the whole ford explorer/firestone deal was mainly FORD's fault... you cannot put a 5000 pound truck, run @ 26 psi at excessive freeway speeds that american's drive at for extended periods of time and not expect a blow out.....
you might also want to add..."during the summer heat and fully loaded with the family and all their gear going off on their summer vacation"..

I agree that Ford's recommendations of PSI caused tire overheating and blowouts based upon the above. I experienced the same thing under the same set of circumstances (not with a Firestone tire, though).
Old 05-01-2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
My 2 ply Yoko's have been through the hammers and all over Moab and Arizona.

I have yet to loose one. Don't really think the 2 ply/3 ply argument is valid.

The only tire I have lost on the trail was a Goodyear MT/R.
What about the asymetrical design. No one has addressed that. Does the consensus see that as a positive or negative feature? I see more and more performance (sport car) tires that are directional, but I'd think it would be more of a negative feature for as because the traction would be better going forward than backward. Also, how will the wear pattern be affected when you can't cross-rotate or rotate in the spare? Are any of the other Yoko's directional?
Old 05-01-2005, 01:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i thought with radials, you were supposed to rotate front to back, not cross?

Quick Reply: Yokohama Geolander M/T +