Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

wrangler duratrac

Old 05-12-2010, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm trying to find info on the C vs E load range debate. Too bad Goodyear doesn't make a D range in 265/75/16.

Anyway. Seems like most people that got the C range think they are a little soft. I haven't read too many reviews from people that have been running the E range though. I'm leaning towards the E's myself... the extra stiffness won't bother me on road, and I don't think there are any other drawbacks to the E range....except price.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:15 PM

After reading all you guys have posted Im very glad I went with Falken instead.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:17 AM

Matt, got pics of the Falkens?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Matt4Running
After reading all you guys have posted Im very glad I went with Falken instead.
Which Falken tire did you go with? I am thinking about getting the Falken Wildpeak AT's and I would like to find some reviews on them.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:12 PM

Put the Wranglers on my 94 4runner and LOVE these tires. Fantastic street and Offroad performance. Running 265/75 16's.

Jungle_Jordan
Old 06-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

A little over 5k miles on mine and zero complaints and they've done well in the rain and snow this past winter and today they handled some abuse off road.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:08 PM

My cousin just bought a 94 runner and he went in to get a quote on some of these today after he saw mine. I guess the price went up because they wanted over $900 for some 31x10.5. He had them look up my account and since he is the second person I have had buy these same tires from them, they are doing it for $700, which is what I paid (I got some rebates for signing up for the credit card). I am going on a year with mine and I have barely noticed any wear at all, I love these tires. When I have to buy new tires I'll probably go with the Duratracs again, but in some 32s or 33s.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

I have the load range C and I don't have any unstableness at high speeds and most of my hwy driving is 70 to a tad over 80mph and they feel like my D load range Nittos did.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:39 PM

I've got a set of 315/75R-17's on my F350 and I love them. They look mean and they still wear, roll and grip decently on the road. In the dirt, I've had no problems either. Granted, the F350 isn't light or small, but they've yet to let me down. Much better in the dirt than my old BFG AT's. In Vegas there isn't much mud, but the side lugs look like they'd be okay as long as it's not too gooey.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:01 PM

if i buy these tires again it will be E range

i've gotten use to the way they handle now, but if i am real tired i have trouble keeping it in the lanes sometimes
Old 07-06-2010, 12:59 PM

I had these for about a week earlier this year. They were so bad I had to get rid of them. It felt like I was driving on a water bed on the highway, and on simple, semi-muddy forest roads, it was like being drunk and driving a boat. All over the place. Almost flipped at 15 miles per hour. Tires got caught in a rut and jerked the wheel out of my hand. NEVER experienced such poor performance. Can't imagine how they would handle on an actual trail. Tried different pressures, to no avail. The absolute trash Rugged Trails that came on my FJ wheels were better than these. Of all the tires I've had (Open Country, BFG R/T, M/T and A/T, Michelin, Bridgestone) these were far and away the worse I've ever encountered. I felt unsafe driving with them.

Luckily, Discount Tire was very cool and let me swap them out for KM2's, which I have been delighted with. Better than the KM's and night and day compared to the Goodyears. I will never buy a Goodyear tire ever again.

Of note, the guy who swapped these for the KM2's mentioned how thin and flimsy the Duratrac sidewalls were compared to the BFGs. I would say that these are mall crawler, Barbie tires, but they're so terrible on the street that even that would be an overstatement.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i, on the other hand love these tires. have about 6k on them and haven't noticed any wear on them at all. yes, they seemed to be a bit squishy of a tire, especially on a 6000# 100 series Land Cruiser, so i upped the pressure to 42psi (E-rated tire, says it goes to 80psi) and now they perform excellent even in tight switchbacks. next time i'll make sure the dealer knows what tire pressure i want before the tech goes and sets them at 32psi again. i actually gained 1mpg by upping the pressure, which was awesome!

i only have two complaints regarding these tires. one is that i feel the tread pattern for the side lugs could have been designed slightly better - i would have filled in the larger triangles a bit more, which i think would stiffen up the sidewalls a tad. second thing is that GY didn't use the Kevlar technology in this tire even though they already had it out in their Wrangler MT/R and Silent Armor tires. other than that, i think they're pretty up there on the list of the best all-terrain tires and i'd definitely recommend them.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Midget96
I had these for about a week earlier this year. They were so bad I had to get rid of them. It felt like I was driving on a water bed on the highway, and on simple, semi-muddy forest roads, it was like being drunk and driving a boat. All over the place. Almost flipped at 15 miles per hour. Tires got caught in a rut and jerked the wheel out of my hand. NEVER experienced such poor performance. Can't imagine how they would handle on an actual trail. Tried different pressures, to no avail. The absolute trash Rugged Trails that came on my FJ wheels were better than these. Of all the tires I've had (Open Country, BFG R/T, M/T and A/T, Michelin, Bridgestone) these were far and away the worse I've ever encountered. I felt unsafe driving with them.

Luckily, Discount Tire was very cool and let me swap them out for KM2's, which I have been delighted with. Better than the KM's and night and day compared to the Goodyears. I will never buy a Goodyear tire ever again.

Of note, the guy who swapped these for the KM2's mentioned how thin and flimsy the Duratrac sidewalls were compared to the BFGs. I would say that these are mall crawler, Barbie tires, but they're so terrible on the street that even that would be an overstatement.
what sidewall did you have?
Old 09-21-2010, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Midget96

I think someone needs to lay off the sauce while driving or get his steering issues fixed
Old 09-21-2010, 03:56 PM
ESQ

Originally Posted by y2kltdsport
I think someone needs to lay off the sauce while driving or get his steering issues fixed
x2

I have a year and a half on my duratracs now. Holding up great and have never had such great traction. I leave other vehicles behind in the snow
Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ESQ
x2

I have a year and a half on my duratracs now. Holding up great and have never had such great traction. I leave other vehicles behind in the snow
After a year and a half, how are they wearing? km? What do anticipate their lifespan to be?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:36 PM
ESQ

I'll have to actually gauge them, but I'd say around 80+%.
~20,000 km give or take.
Mostly highway/fsr driving.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:53 AM

I'm currrently running the wally world version of these. Wrangler authority A/T's 31X10.50 load C's you can only buy them at walmart some sort of deal with Wrangler but they are very very similar to those tires kind of a crossbread A/T-M/T. Anyways so far I have nothing but positive things to say about them and at $612 mounted and balanced it's a pretty good deal.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:34 PM

Figured I'd throw my observations with these tires up in here

First off, anyone who thinks these tires have audible "road hum" or a mudder-type vibratory feel to them should re-evaluate their experience, despite looking like they kinda should have these tendencies. They simply have neither. Very quiet.

Second, I've read the posts describing the feeling of driving on basketballs or on a waterbed. In the first couple hundred miles I can attest to that, though while driving I was thinking it felt like combating heavy and erratic side-winds, like the truck was being blown all around. But there was no wind. This was solved entirely by upping the air pressure to 40 psi. Interestingly, while still at 32 psi, the truck'd eventually hold a corner, but you'd hafta concentrate hard to do it. It was like there was an initial understeer followed by oversteer, all in the same corner. Nothing I've ever felt in any tire, ever, new or used. Not necessarily good either. Also, the truck would deflect on the straights, like it just could not go in a straight direction. I've read of people postulating that the tire needs a break-in period, this might hold true. After ~300 mi and at 40 psi, the truck no longer wanders, rather holds a steady route. Finally pleased.

MPGs have been unaffected. From Reno, where I got em installed, to South Lake Tahoe, where I live, I noticed 18.6 mpg...normal. Then 2wd high-elevation undulating dirt road exploration and 85 miles into a 215-mile trek to San Francisco bred 17.5 mpg. 70 miles of driving around in SF got me 13 mpg...also normal considering A) the steep ass hills, B) the drag-racing stop & go nature of driving in the city, and C) driving a manual, where 4-5000 rpms is common before shifting. The highway driving to and fro was pleasant at 70 mph at the stated 40psi, though at 32 (what the shop put em at) could verifiably be frightening. Heading back to SLT got me 16 mpg, also fair since there's a vast amount more elevation gained going from SF to SLT than the other way.

Have also done some 4low rock & decomposed granite inclines here (though at 32 psi, before I upped it for the highway). Tires grabbed and held on great. Then it snowed. So far all the grip I could ask for.

Stats: 800 mi on 31x10.5x15, load range C. I had BFG A/Ts in the same size previously, definitely a different animal, I'm sure the 3-ply nature of the BFGs played a role. Prior to that, 32x11.5x15 BFG M/Ts. These Duratracs seem to have the grip of a composite of the two aforementioned tires, just with 2-ply sidewalls. Which means they're not for high-intensity off-road punishment, but that's widely understood, right?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the input Ertified!! One of the best descriptions I have ever seen put into words. Let us know how they wear, please!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wrangler duratrac