Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Used winter Bridgestone Winter Duelers

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used winter Bridgestone Winter Duelers

I want to pick up some used Winter Duellers and the guy doesn't really know how old they are? He bought his truck off someone who threw in the tires (LT235/75R15) with the truck. I looked at the Bridgestone Web Site and it says that new the tread depth in 17/32". Where is this measured? The sides or the middle? I noticed that the depth of tread left was greater on the side then the middle of the tires? they were about 14 or 15/32" on the sides. What depth qualifies these tires as being not winter suitable? Anyone who has these tires could you give me your opinion? How many seasons have you got out of your Winter Duelers? What tread depth did you decide they would not do the job? Do you like these tires? Thanks alot for your input
Old 12-09-2004, 04:39 AM

i can only answer some of your questions: i've had my winter dualers for only one season. they still look pretty new, but i switched them out if the weather looked good for a while. i think they're great tires. i never had any problems going over the icy colorado mountain passes. i wouldn't worry about 14-15/32" tread depth. give them a try and if they dont work well, they still won't be much worse than normal street tires.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:06 PM

Well sounds ok to get but I am debating on getting Nordic WinterTrac's from Canadian Tire? How many seasons are you guys getting out of your Winter Dueler's? If they are lasting a long time for you guys I may talk him down to under 300 for the set. Bridgestone seem like a better choice then Nordic.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

I haven't heard anyone really using them. I just saw them for the first time on their website and wondered how they were. I don't get nearly enough snow to run them, sorry I couldn't be any more help but it seems that most just run ATs here.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:42 AM

Nordics appear to me to be a BF Goodrich winter tire with the Canadian tire name on the side. I run the Nordics's studded on my old GM half ton and get about three good winters out of em. I don't baby them either. We run Blizzak's(pretty much a Dueler)on our Runner now and they are a fantastic tire. Nordics are a good budget solution and are far better than all seasons but even studded are no Blizzak. I have had to get warranty on a couple of the Nordics as well and Canadian Tire while eventually accomodating can be a real pain. I don't have alot of faith in any kind of work done there including tire installation. I always have to exlain to them the right way to stud the tire and proper balancing methods. I used to work in a tire shop as a kid and have forgotten more than some of the kids working there will ever know. Oh yes an important note is that the Nordics on sale are a fraction of what the Bridgestones cost.

Last edited by StingRay; 12-10-2004 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:00 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
We've run two sets of Bridgestones in 235/75R15. The first set ran 3 seasons just fine, and she puts 40k a year on her rig, so that was probably 45,000 miles of use. We sold them, they still had usable tread. The second set only ran one winter and they still looked brand new. Then she traded to a car. We run Semperit winter tires for the car (205/50R17) - they don't have nearly as deep a tread as the Stones for the 4x4. It isn't the tread depth anyway that makes them a winter tire, it's the grippy compound that stays grippy when it's cold. Modern winter tires are amazing - they really do work well. The car goes fine when a lot of people are sliding around or stuck in their 4x4s... (Driving skill plays a part too of course.)
Old 12-10-2004, 07:12 PM

Thats what I thought about the Nordic Tires. I may just buy the used winter duelers off this guy if he still has them I just wanted to make sure they still have a couple seasons on them since some Nordic's will get 3 if I opt to buy them brand new. I just like the Winter Dueler's because they were a light truck rated tire and I drive alot of ugly roads up here. And I tow my snowmobile around also. Thanks for your input and I hope the new (old) tires last me a few years and don't send me off the side of the road......again....(sunfire with all seasons went bye bye a month ago)