Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Tires for Northwest Driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires for Northwest Driving

I'm hoping rather than another thread specific to a particular tire, this would hopefully cover tire suggestions for a region (hey we all drive in the same stuff). I realize others have specific needs but hopefully more people can get something out the post this way.

Anyways, I'm looking for suggestions for tires for my 97 Limited. I presently use 265/70/16 Toyo Open Country TA's. I have got about 80K kilometres out of them and although there is some tread left, I'm not too confident with winter driving in them. Most of the driving here is in rain with usually a week or two of snow and some black ice thrown in for good measure. I do plan on heading up skiing for a 10-15 times so will be in the snow some for that as well. I had planned on getting a dedicated winter tire and then throwing my wearing Toyo's back on in the summer, but perhaps someone can suggest a good all season I can make it through with as well. I found the Toyo's wear well but not good in the wet weather.

For winter I've considered Blizzak's or the Michelin X-ICe. All seasons, perhaps the michelin LTX M/S. I would appreciate any other suggestions.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best tire i've ran across are BFG A/T KO's. Good traction across the board, pavement, gravel, dirt, rain, etc. And are severe weather rated.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm in the nothwest rain forest as well and have been using Nitto Terragrapplers for the last 2 years. Great in the rain, and good enough in the little snow we get at sea level but if I was going up mountains I would want some real snow tires.

The BFG A/T KO are snow rated but I don't find they're very good in heavy rain.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well after much searching, I finally decided to scrap the cost of swapping snowies on and off and look for some good all-seasons. I decided on the new Nokian WR-G2 tires which are rated as "all-weather" and do have the snowflake symbol. Everything I have read on Nokians points to well-made tires and these G2's are rated highly.

The kicker comes that in Canada, only one company is authorized for distribution and they aren't selling any of the new models until old inventory is cleared. I sure envy you guys down south that have so many options. So now I sit and wait and hope the snow does not start falling.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by VR23
Well after much searching, I finally decided to scrap the cost of swapping snowies on and off and look for some good all-seasons. I decided on the new Nokian WR-G2 tires which are rated as "all-weather" and do have the snowflake symbol. Everything I have read on Nokians points to well-made tires and these G2's are rated highly.

The kicker comes that in Canada, only one company is authorized for distribution and they aren't selling any of the new models until old inventory is cleared. I sure envy you guys down south that have so many options. So now I sit and wait and hope the snow does not start falling.
Take a trip south, the tires would probably cheaper across the line anyway