Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Off-road/Trail tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off-road/Trail tire

I am not looking for opinions on a good all around tire. that has been beaten to death.
I have a set of fj80 wheels on their way to me and I am going to use them as a second set of wheelin' wheels (haha that sounds funny)

I was thinking about a swamper, Not bias but....
This is my problem. I do not want anything ridiculous (thornbird, bogger)
I have no problem switching wheels out, but I am looking for something that will be OK to drive to and from the trail (maybe even a few hundred miles to get to the trail)

Let er rip..
I have been looking at the Goodyear MT/R as a DD and only keep one set of wheels, but other than that tire I am lost.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:36 AM

I really liked my Interco TruXus but since I used them for my DD they wore quickly. I would have them as a trail tire anyday and they are comfortable to get to the trail. They don't clean thick clay mud like a SSR, LTB or Bogger but all other terrains they rock on.
Just my $.02
Old 05-16-2005, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

I have about 35k miles of on and off road use on my BFG M/T's. I have been looking at the Goodyear MT/R's for the replacement when it comes time. If it's any consolation, though, the BFG's have been good to me and I still have 30% tread on them. They were balanced really well and aren't cupping much since I've rotated them alot. They have been great all-around tires for me and have a long wear-life in my opinion. The ride is good and isn't "that" noisy but you can hear the tread. Anyway, the BFG's will do what you are looking for.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation take a look at these

This is what I have on my wheelin wheels, I dont use them too often but for the price they are GREAT tires and they have held up really really really well under all situations, not sure if this is what you are looking for or not though.. http://www.kumhotireusa.com/Products...tion=PtnDetail
Old 05-16-2005, 08:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. make sure to consider sidewall toughness and not just tread depth/design.

2. get 305/70's and NOT 285/75's. you'll thank me for that later.

3. my 305 MT/R's spun less than the boggers on the runner in front of me last saturday. to be honest, i think i had more gripshun than anyone on the moderate stuff. they only broke loose twice on the entire trail ride.

4. you can always put the 305 MT/R's on the 80 wheels and still keep your revo's for the street, but that's major $$$...
Old 05-16-2005, 11:07 AM

I second the 305/70/16 not just because I have them. But the old adage "wider is better." Ive actaully had fair sucess with thoes cheap ground hawgs, they are decent on the trail, and good on the street. Just look for somthing with deep lugs spaced decently apart, and if its gonna be muddy go with somthing directional.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:52 AM

look at something more aggressive than just an MT tire if you want a good trail tire you can put to good hard use especially if you have a set of tire/wheels for on-road.
I am in the same boat as you for my trail truck. I drive it fairly long distances to some trails and plan on doing some Colorado and NM trips in it as well...right now I have 35" X-terrains and i have to say they have worn extremely well on the road and off road they've been great especially in the desert terrain, however they are getting low on tread and I'm lookin at my other options. Some tires I am considering include:
Irok Radials, Maxxis Creepy Crawlers, X-terrains or maybe even SSR's (SSR's have many sizes offered including lots of smaller sizes as the Maxxis/Iroks come in 35"+ only)
Old 05-16-2005, 12:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
don't get SSRs. they're heavy and not as strong as a bias swamper. people seem to really get over dramatic with bias tires -- they're really not that bad on the road. sure, they'll ride a little rougher, sometimes flat spot and won't last as long, but if it's going to be mainly a trail tire, you want as tough as you can get.

i'd suggest something like a TSL/SX.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Just got the tracking numbers, the wheels will be here Wednesday. I am going to price some Swampers, Truxus....

I kind of like the idea of MT/R's on the 80 wheels and keep the Revos on the AR wheels. I might just sell the AR wheels. I don't even know if there would be any interest, but I have always loved the 80 wheels so not sure if I will take them off...
Old 05-16-2005, 04:43 PM

irok radials....thats what im gettin when i get my new old runner.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
Just got the tracking numbers, the wheels will be here Wednesday.
Where did you end up finding the -80 wheels?
Old 05-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bighead
wonderful e-bay. This is my second set. I sold the first. I have 5 rims w/ center caps on their way.

I don't know what the hell I am doing with two sets of wheels, but we'll see.
If i wanted 1 DD tire I would go with MT/R, if I keep 2 sets of wheels, I am leaning towards the TRXUS radial.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bighead
FWIW there is a guy on ih8mud selling a rolled 80. It is a rolling chasis and the wheels are for sale. Don't know how much or conditon. he is in ATL
Old 05-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

what sizes are you looking at? If you're looking for 33s on 15s MTRs are kinda out of the question unless someone has them in stock local as Goodyear is out and isnt starting to produce them again until June 4 or so
Old 05-17-2005, 02:18 AM

Thoes new Icors seem to be the way everyone is going. Esspcially since they make thoes new rim accomidating sizes. Im personally looking into the Truxus MT and a couple of other designs. But my rig is ore 99.9 street and .1 trail. Im doing it for the look
Old 05-17-2005, 02:37 AM

check these out these are the grownd hawgs:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/image...awg-bias_b.jpg
They look pretty damn agressive and supposedly can handle mild street driving

These are the more mild version of that tire:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/image...awg-bias_b.jpg

Prices arnt that bad in my opinion for a fairly serious off roader range from $125 to $500 depends on size
Old 05-17-2005, 02:55 AM

I vote for the Truxxs muds. I have them, and while they might wear a bit quicker than the MT/R's, think about the price. I got my 33x12.50 Truxxs for $130 a tire, and the MT/Rs were like $225. So I can get almost 2 full sets of the Truxxs before I would pay for one set of the MT/Rs. Plus the 2 sets would outlast the one set.

Just my .02.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

I got the regular tsl's. ride like hell on the hard road but if you want something to dig in and you can air these boys down to 10psi and still run em because of the bias ply. but if you want a little more sidewall traction i would go with the tsl/sx. trxus's are good streetable tires and work good in sand and snow. I shopped around for months before I got the tsl's...but overall they clean exceptionally well since the lug design is offset pretty good.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

I was talking to local tire shop. The same one that SAS a green 4runner in Richmond. The owner drives a massive excursion on 38s or something. Granted his truck is huge and heavy, he reccommended the MT Baja Radial Claw.

I don't hear too much about them. He has a set w/ about 15k miles and loves them.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well heres my 2 cents.... if you're using the new ones only for offroad and want a soft tire, then don't read the rest of this.

If you're lookin for a little harder tire that wears better, and is comparable to the MT/R's then look at the Firestone Destination MT's. I've had a set on mine for 18000 miles so far, and during my 18000 miles, i've had it in sand, mud, snow, rocks, street, ice and every concievable combination of them. I absolutely love them. Tread wear is awesome, i have around 17 to 18 32nds of an inch left on them, but i regularly rotate them cause of the locker. In snow they do great, they dig grab and go. I had to get down a hill to help some buddies get out, drove down there and then pulled them up the hill in around 8" of snow.... They do as well as any ordinary tire on ice, slippery, but livable.

Rocks and mud are where they shine... The hard compound is great for less wearing on rocks, doesn't get ate up as fast as others.. Went playin on the rocks last weekend with a buddy who runs tsl's. after all the abuse, my tires where in way better shape than his, cause of the harder compound. Even though they are harder, they still manage to bite and get ya through... I managed to go places he couldn't, but I think that was more due to the truck than anything else. In the mud they do good, my only complaint is I can't spin them fast enough to clean them out when im in some clay/soupy mud. Besides that they do a decent job of cleaning themselves out.

I've had no balancing issues whatsoever, between all 5. I'f had 1 hole, due to a nail, but that happens. As far as sidewalls, on the rocks, mine only had scuffs, no cuts etc... while the tsl's had visible cuts. Sidewalls are 3ply polyester while the tread is 5 ply, 2 polyester, 2 steel, and 1 nylon. I believe the MTR's and BFG's are all 2 sidewall and 4 tread plys.

Pricewise is what turned me onto them in the first place, I found them cheaper than the BFGs or MTRs, and am super glad I did. For a driver vehicle that needs some great traction tires that won't wear out in 15k to 20k miles, these are them.

My only complaint, i can't get them in 35's.

Quick Reply: Off-road/Trail tire