Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Moving north, AT/MT tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live just north of Edmonton Alberta Canada, and I ran some muds on my old ranger. They were awesome in the snow but crap on the ice.
I used to drive out onto the lake to load my sled up. snow was maybe 2 feet deep. Muds did awesome in that.

Anything to aggressive is crap on ice. Need something with lots of sipes for the ice. Big lugs suck

Last edited by EricBirk; 07-29-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:56 PM

I suggest checking out Firestone Destination ATs. I've had mine for about 10,000 miles and have been pleased so far. Very good in the wet and dry. I haven't had them in the snow, yet, but the reviews suggest they will do well. Plenty of siping. Definitely better than BFG ATs in the wet. I can't compare them to Revos as I have no experience with Revos.

You will likely find that you will be doing quite a bit of winter time driving on damp or plowed streets, or even dry highways. For that reason, I'm going to suggest that a M/T is not a good way to go. If it was straight up snow, the M/T recommendation may be OK, but you'll need tires for a variety of conditions.

Probably the best is to have a set of dedicated snow tires and then a set of wheels that you swap on in the spring.

MadCityRich
Old 07-30-2008, 07:59 AM

I am surprised that so many people have negative comments about the BFG AT KO's. I have been very happy with mine in the snow and have not experienced problems in the rain that were any major issue. I have only had Michelin LTX and BFG AT's on the 4runner. The BFG's are much better than the rock hard Michelins in everything but tread wear. That being said, the Michelins did the job in a foot of snow without a problem. I spent a lot of time in Northern NY, VT and NH last winter skiing and ice climbing and the AT's were excellent. No problems and very good traction even at speed. I was highly impressed. One thing to consider is that the BFG's (in certain load ratings) are considered winter snow tires as they meet the severe snow service requirements. This isn't an issue in southern NY but if you spend time up where it's really cold then it could be an additional benefit.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:37 AM

My opinion - don't rule out the Trxus M/T's. They do quite well in snow (lots of siping) and are quite quiet on the road. They do very well off road, much better than any A/T, and aren't all that expensive.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:53 PM

Newbie with years of experience driving box trucks and large trucks. I live in PA and have learned that traction is not what you have to worry about. Stopping is #1 and distance between you and others is the safest thing you can do for yourself and others. I'm hearing alot about tires and such. Neutral(clutch in) not low gears. If by chance you have a auto, put in N and it takes all power from drive train and gives you stopping ability. No tire is good on ice without studs. If your running steep gears in low that is enough going down hills to make you slide off the road. Clutch in and wamo total control.In Pgh PA (lots of hills) clutch in , roll nicely, no hard steering by any means. and stop very gradually. Remenber trucks have better traction but are the same in stopping as cars. Hope this may help some that are not comfortable with snow and ice. Also widder tires are not better in snow and slush. Thanks guys !
Old 07-28-2010, 10:17 AM

I have heard good about the Bf Goodrich All terrains are good on snow, and road.It doesnt snow here but i have them and they do very well on road. Might look into them.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure he already made up his mind, since he posted this thread 2 YEARS AGO!!!