Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Moving north, AT/MT tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving north, AT/MT tires?

I'm headed north so the truck will be doing a lot more driving in the snow. I'm moving to NYC but the truck is going to be kept at my aunt's place an hour outside the city in a SMALL town and plowing is minimal and she has a ton of land so I want to be able to get around and snow is going to be a pretty big priority. I have some experience in the snow but not much and my trusty REVOs only left me stuck once (driver error and I bottomed out). I am selling my TSLs and getting some new tires that are more road friendly. What do you guys think? I was wondering which way to jump.

Next is what tires... I was thinking of getting another set of REVOs b/c of their amazing on-road/snow traction, but I have been hearing good things about the NITTO Terra Grapplers too... Right now I have two sets of 15" wheels so if there are some good ATs that I have overlooked that sell 33s for a 15" wheel please let me know. I can't seem to find any so I'm looking for some Factory 5Star 16s which I don't mind getting but if I can save a few hundred I'd rather put that towards getting the truck ready for DD use. Anyway, thanks for the help!
Old 07-22-2008, 12:45 PM

I've also had REVO's and had excellent results with them. Very nice on and off road tires. And snow traction was great as well. I've heard the same about the Nitto's and back a couple of years ago, the prices on the Nitto TG's were MUCH better than the REVO's, so it would've made sense to give them a try back then. However, now, it looks like they're the same price as REVO's. Personally, I would like to try out the TG's, so I might go with them, but I will have a hard time not getting the REVO's again.

But definitely get A/T's if you're just going to be in light snow (meaning 1' or less). M/T's only do well aired way down in the deep stuff. I've been on A/T's going up canyons in a blizzard and my REVO A/T's did awesome.

The biggest thing that will affect winter driving is driver skills. I suggest you get PLENTY of practice in empty parking lots. Try to get a feel for how the truck slides and brakes. Use your transmission to slow yourself down when going down steep grades and leave plenty of room in front of you at a stoplight, just in case the dude behind you starts sliding. Mainly, just slow down and use common sense. Get some chains if you think you will be in a remote area with deep snow. Don't panic if the rear end starts coming around. I'm sure other snow state guys will chime in.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

The classic dilemma...tires.

For what you're needing them for it sounds like you can't beat the REVO's.
I have heard mixed and when I say mixed - I mean MIXED, reviews.

I've heard of them wearing really well and doing great and then I have heard of them wearing like Baja Claws.

X-AW would be the guy to talk to, he's practically a Nitto spokesperson.

Good to see you're still around man, I hadn't seen you post in a while.

I freaking love your M45!

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 07-22-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by cackalak han
I've also had REVO's and had excellent results with them. Very nice on and off road tires. And snow traction was great as well. I've heard the same about the Nitto's and back a couple of years ago, the prices on the Nitto TG's were MUCH better than the REVO's, so it would've made sense to give them a try back then. However, now, it looks like they're the same price as REVO's. Personally, I would like to try out the TG's, so I might go with them, but I will have a hard time not getting the REVO's again.

But definitely get A/T's if you're just going to be in light snow (meaning 1' or less). M/T's only do well aired way down in the deep stuff. I've been on A/T's going up canyons in a blizzard and my REVO A/T's did awesome.

The biggest thing that will affect winter driving is driver skills. I suggest you get PLENTY of practice in empty parking lots. Try to get a feel for how the truck slides and brakes. Use your transmission to slow yourself down when going down steep grades and leave plenty of room in front of you at a stoplight, just in case the dude behind you starts sliding. Mainly, just slow down and use common sense. Get some chains if you think you will be in a remote area with deep snow. Don't panic if the rear end starts coming around. I'm sure other snow state guys will chime in.
X2 on the Revo's - I wish I had some now. I totally agree with what C.Han said - we know a little bit about snow here in northern Utah. Good tires are a huge part of the equation. I always check to see how slick the snow is by a firm push on the brakes when no one is around. We've had 3" on the ground and no one can get up hills, or 12" that has great traction. If you're sketched out about the snow, pick up some cable-chains for on-road or actual chains (stronger) if you want to get in the deep stuff. I've always enjoyed driving in the snow - take it slow and you'll be fine.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just for a little devil's advocate and assuming the 4Runner is meant to be a primarily of-road vehicle, I'd say go for the Interco TrXuS M/T's. They have excellent snow and ice traction, and will offer far better off-road performance than a Revo. Since you already have a daily driver (the M45) I'd say don't bother getting some street-oriented all-terrians like the Revo's when you can get muds or an agressive all-terrain like the BFG's (or possibly Nitto's).

Plus, the TrXuS M/T's are cheaper than Revo's: 285x75r16 TrXuS is $177.95 ea. at 4WheelParts, versus the Revo's are about $210 ea. at Discount Tire. It's a win-win IMO.

Last edited by mastacox; 07-22-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:14 PM

i run BFG AT's year round in VT. they're an amazing all around tire. i just paid $170 ea. for 31x10.5 R15's
Old 07-23-2008, 04:18 AM

Here in Iowa, we get our share of snow and ice, so I had this same issue when I bought tires a year ago. The biggest thing you want to look for is siping in the tread. Siping is the small "cuts" in the tread blocks that provide a lot of extra grip in winter driving conditions. Very few M/T's have siping, but most A/T's do.

Around here, I see a lot of BFG A/T's, Terra Grapplers and Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. Very few people run Revo's, most likely because of cost. Looks like you're on the right track...just look for siping.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by emptypockets
The biggest thing you want to look for is siping in the tread. Very few M/T's have siping, but most A/T's do.
TrXuS M/T's are siped, which is why they have good traction in snow and ice.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

My experience with BFG A/T's is they SUCK in wet weather.
Granted, I haven't had the T/A KO version...I had the old plain jane BFG A/T about 5 years ago - I'm sure they have come a long way.

My MTZ's are great in wet weather, I haven't done a lot of snow driving but the little bit I did last year with my 4Runner proved to me that the MTZ is one of he best all-around M/T's on the market today.

Good luck man,

Fink
Old 07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the advice guys!
I have been graduating and getting my life in line and figuring out what is next on my plate. I'm going to be moving to NYC in sept so sadly the M is up for sale. I REALLY don't want to sell it, but I don't want a car payment up in the big city. I'd rather put it towards a nicer apartment. Want it fink?? More pictures here

cox,
I wish i could keep them both but that would just be a waste of money and an M45. Parking would be as much as the payment and well, thats a no brainer. The 4Runner is getting DD duties again so thats why I'm leaning towards an AT. Plus the better snow traction. I have TSLs on the truck now and there is a set of LTBs for dirt cheap not too far away but I want something friendlier and more importantly lighter. Going from alloys with ATs are night and day difference from the TSLs on Steelies w street locks

Fink,
I have had the same experience with BFG ATs on other vehicles, when did the new version come out? Is it better than the last one? I have heard they have great wear ratings. I was leaning in that direction b/c I found out that they have a 33x10.5-15 which would be perfect for my stock wheels. Another plus is I have a Tirerack distribution center about an hour away so I can get them pretty cheap. Can you run 12.5" tire wit the stock wheels? I was hoping to sell my steelies with the TSLs...
Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by turboale
Want it fink?? More pictures here

Fink,
I have had the same experience with BFG ATs on other vehicles, when did the new version come out? Is it better than the last one? I have heard they have great wear ratings. I was leaning in that direction b/c I found out that they have a 33x10.5-15 which would be perfect for my stock wheels. Another plus is I have a Tirerack distribution center about an hour away so I can get them pretty cheap. Can you run 12.5" tire wit the stock wheels? I was hoping to sell my steelies with the TSLs...
How much are you selling the M for?
How many miles?

I freaking love those cars...those and the G series.

The new BFG A/T's came out a while ago...I'm honestly not sure what all they changed but the kind I had on my 2nd gen back when I first joined YT sucked big time.
There were several times I had to put it in 4WD to get up a wet hill. :banghead:

I wouldn't run a 12.5" tire on a stock wheel...but you might be able to run a 10.5"...

Fink
Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

Heya Austin. That sucks about the M, but good choice keeping the 4Runner

I personally have had great experiences with BFG A/T's, and was completely underwhelmed by the Bridgestone Revo's (they are hyped like crazy, so I expected better overall off-road traction). You're talking about running 15 inch rims, do you have the smaller braking package which allows you to do that? You might consider getting 16" rims to allow the possibility of a Tundra brake package upgrade later...

Taking my opinion for what it's worth, the Revo's are on the street side of an A/T, and the BFG's are on the off-road side of an A/T. Both have good wear characterisics (Revo's last a bit longer), and good traction in wet, ice, and snow. The BFG's are better in deep(er) snow due to deeper tread IMO. The BFG A/T KO's of course have siping, as do the Revo's.

On an aesthetic note, the BFG's look a lot better (read- more agressive) than the Revo's, and perform far better off-road IMO; so whatever that's worth to ya. The BFG's are also usually slightly cheaper.

Good luck selling the car, hope you find some good tires for the 4Runner.

Last edited by mastacox; 07-23-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:28 PM

I think for his DD duties, the REVO would be better than the BFG's, because of the better on-road characteristics and better wet traction. And if he's going to be in deep snow, even BFG A/T's won't be much better--just get some chains/cables for that. Don't forget the tow strap!
Old 07-24-2008, 06:30 PM

Where are you going to keep the runner that you have to worry about this much snow?
i'm 1h east of what's left of manhattan(i'm there all the time) we have not had much snow here to think of... not like the old days...
When you get settled.. gimme a shout... you might get more women with the M... but i think you made the wise choice too.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Contributing Member

Nitto Terra Grapplers (3rd gen) worked wonders through a couple CO blizzards and iced roads. They also "hugged" freeway's with raining downpours and did great on moderate trails.
I love pushing the limits with most vehicles that I drive or own -I'm always 'testing' while keeping it safe. I constantly take 2 things into account: tires and suspension.

The TG's are really nice.

I had BFG at's (2nd gen) before and in both weather conditions mentioned above, they either flat out sucked or were scary and unpredictable. The two different 4runners played no factor in observing or testing of the tires.

Nitto TG's are high on my recommenced list -all around a very good tire in ALL conditions.
I will never buy BFG AT's again...the only thing they score good with is rock, loose dirt, wet snow, and DRY pavement....anything else can be horrific.

My opinion about Revo's: Great for street, icy, and dry conditions only. They are a high quality tire but can severely suffer in snow (any type), mud, and off-road traction.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:41 AM

when i went up to north carolina this past winter i was wearing the TG's and found that it did GREAT in the snow, granted i was in AWD and driving like a granny, but it felt like 99% of the time i had good grip, the other 1% i slid off the road... but that was my first time driving in snow.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:37 AM

My Toyo ATs have been amazing in tread life and cutting through the snow. I am on 30k miles right now and they look new.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by rocket
My opinion about Revo's: Great for street, icy, and dry conditions only. They are a high quality tire but can severely suffer in snow (any type), mud, and off-road traction.
Respectfully disagree. My REVO's did very well in the wet (heavy downpour, which is really rare here, but does happen, and when it does, there are puddles on the road everywhere). Also, we get our fair share of snow here and they did very well. I didn't get to test them in the deep stuff, but did a lot of on-road "tests" anywhere from 2" to 12" of snow. (Up the canyon, around the city, also in Wyoming). Never got stuck and they bit down pretty well.

As far as mud, I don't think any A/T will get good traction in mud. I do agree that they were lacking a tiny bit in off-road traction. But they were solid tires and would buy them again.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by rocket

I just don't think that's true. I bought my Revos in Portland, OR during the wet season (September-May) and I couldn't believe how much better my traction was instantly. I couldn't break the rear end loose on a wet street, much less by accident. When we moved to Idaho we went Christmas tree shopping in the mountains on treacherous snow-covered roads, and I pulled out several 4x4 rigs using open diffs and the Revos. Everyone, including myself, was shocked when I pulled out full-sized chevy's and even a T-100. All the credit went to the tires. If I had to choose any AT tire for only snow and wet conditions, it would be the Revos. I know it's not the only good winter/rain tire, but I have seen it work wonders. Plus, they're quiet and mine wore like iron (although some have had different experience with wear).
Old 07-29-2008, 02:58 PM

when i had my taco I ran 31" kumho M/T's and found them to be good and snow and bad in ice. I think unless you stud an MT they wil almost always be outperformed on ICE by an AT.

I live about 200 miles north of NYC (and some more east). I ski alot and drive my truck into the upper elevations frequently. I now have a 94 pickup and run BFG ATs (32") and my honest opinion is that I need the added traction my tires give me over an all season (or needed the traction afforded by the MT's on my taco) 4 times per year. The rest of the time I intentially drive in inclimate weather just to throw it sideways and have fun.

Living in NYC you will likely not need anything more than the tires you have on it. Maybe once a year you will need to go the the store and not be able to but it really doesn't snow much down there

Quick Reply: Moving north, AT/MT tires?