Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

help... really need new tires now.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help... really need new tires now.

Hey every one, Apparently my truck wont pass inspection because of my tires being rotted and cracked. Right now i'm using BFG KO's at 265/70/16 and i really like them.

I'd like to get something that appears more aggressive and that looks nice on dark colored 4runners. I've seen some nice tires on other people's rides. I was just browsing around and came across to dick cepek mud country tires. I really like the appearance of those. Unfortunately they dont make 265/70/16. I dont have a lift and i'm wondering, would the 265/75/16 fit? From what i understand, i would loose alot of my turning ability?

Perhaps you might have a suggestion that i might would like? I really like aggressive appearance along with big lugs. However, i dont do a lot of off roading as i'd like to. So, i'd like to keep it in mind that i want something that would last quite a while. My bfg ko's lasted for ever! lol

Thanks !

PS: i have a 98 4runner limited. completely stock. most likely next year i'll put in a small lift. If you want pics of what it looks like right now, just ask for it

Last edited by bvet4dog; 09-09-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
My BFG AT/Ko's lasted around 100k! I'd like an MT spare set, but, while I drive quite a bit off road throughout the year when on trips.... MOST of my driving is city/highway... so I just went and got another set of 31x10.50 BFG AT/KO's.... LOVE EM, ..handle great, quiet, last forever and they do just fine for mild-medium off road needs.

Honestly? You'll probably get around 10 differing opinions on this one, so be prepared for having an even harder time making up your mind than when you started this, hahaha.

Best wishes,

Mark
Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 AM

i do alot of off roading during hunting / camping seasons. Other than that i'm mostly on the road. You're right about the ko's, they are so great that i dont really want to go with something different. What about the km2's? But then again i want to find something that has a great appearance and would look good on my ride.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 PM

I'm having a hard time to choose. I rly like km2's and cooper Discoverer STT. i wanna give those a try.

For some reason i cant find a nice tire+rim package. I'd really really like to find a black rim that would look nice with those tires on my dark brown/charcoal 4runner. I've tried browsing google, couldnt find any rim/tire package with black rims. Any one know any links where i could order some nice set of black rims/tire package?

Last edited by bvet4dog; 09-09-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:13 AM

www.4wheelparts.com ?????
Old 09-10-2010, 07:45 AM

i ment, wheel/tire package. Found some decent black rims that would be nice but the total cost of tires/rims came out to 1500 easily lol
Old 09-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Goodyear Duratracs.
I've driven on a few set of BFGs and these tires are much better on a daily driver since their street manners are so much better especially in the rain but off road the BFGs would have a slight durability edge but I had issues with their low margin of error when it came to hydroplaning and the Duratracs give a much better warning and their threshold was almost 10mph higher in my experiences.

The downside is that these tires are still pretty new so the jury is still out on the wear but I'm guessing at least 45k miles which is fine if you range only about a thousand a month on your truck which will give 4 years on them. BFGs will wear better but I noticed after about 5 years the BFGs become hard as rocks no matter how many miles are on them and I personally wouldn't keep a set of tires on my truck longer than 7 years anyway. BFGs are a great off road all terrain tire but as a whole they are a bit over rated and pricey.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Goodyear Duratracs.
I've driven on a few set of BFGs and these tires are much better on a daily driver since their street manners are so much better especially in the rain but off road the BFGs would have a slight durability edge but I had issues with their low margin of error when it came to hydroplaning and the Duratracs give a much better warning and their threshold was almost 10mph higher in my experiences.

The downside is that these tires are still pretty new so the jury is still out on the wear but I'm guessing at least 45k miles which is fine if you range only about a thousand a month on your truck which will give 4 years on them. BFGs will wear better but I noticed after about 5 years the BFGs become hard as rocks no matter how many miles are on them and I personally wouldn't keep a set of tires on my truck longer than 7 years anyway. BFGs are a great off road all terrain tire but as a whole they are a bit over rated and pricey.

X2 on these. i've put quite a few of these on customer vehicles, and they seem to be very happy. I've done these tires in sizes ranging from 205/60R15's on a minivan (Why?) up too 315/75R17's on a lifted superduty. They also balance out really nice compared to the BFG's...
Old 09-10-2010, 11:02 AM

Sounds like the last couple of guys have done/read research on the hydroplane factor. Interesting..... I'll definitely read up on that. I've never had a problem with that with my BFG AT's... and I've had Coopers, Generals, couple others on various trucks... seemed negligible to me, ....but then I drive fairly carefully in the rain, so maybe I just didn't notice, haha. However, I've driven up through the Sequoia Canyons in Kern, etc., during the Winter.... never had an 'incident' of sliding out, even when ''reallyyyyyyyy trying to get up there after work on a Friday in the rain" type driving, lol. Also, I have the same tires in my garage after 100K, still have a lil tread, and they still grabbed pretty good around town. Then again, I'm not working in a 4x4 Center, seeing many comparisons like 2500000 Yota, etc...

So, there ya go... you're getting the input you were looking for.....

And, as far as the last comment you made, about the Rim and Tire package.... I KNOW you can get some Summit Soft 8's for 40$ a piece and then tires from 4wheelparts, or wherever, for around 700$, give or take a hundy, shipped. Just have the rims and tires delivered to whomever you want to slap em on the rims, ...then 'GO GO GO', hahaha.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:59 AM

Another popular tire we do here, though quite pricy, is the Toyo Opencountry M/T. Very good off road tread, but i dont know about the on road. How long they last seems to differ from car to car. I did a superduty that is used by a local fire department, and that set only lasted them 10k. I have another customer with a 2006 Supercharged tacoma, that's had his set on the truck for over 30k.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:30 PM

yeah i'm really liking the prices on the soft 8's. I can def do that along with km2's. Would i need spacers for that setup?

I think i only can get the 265/75/16 km2's and get lil bit of rubbing on full turn.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:43 PM

omg.... Foshays wont pass my truck's inspection with 265/75/16 tires. I havnt ordered em yet, really wanted to do 265/75/16's...... Apparently he said that it wont pass inspection because of the abs break system or something like that.

Any input on this? Thanks.

Ps: i have 98 limited 4runner.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
id take the duratrac's couldn't pay me to use bfg a/t's
Old 09-16-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by bvet4dog
omg.... Foshays wont pass my truck's inspection with 265/75/16 tires. I havnt ordered em yet, really wanted to do 265/75/16's...... Apparently he said that it wont pass inspection because of the abs break system or something like that.

Any input on this? Thanks.

Ps: i have 98 limited 4runner.
Yeah, my first suggestion is REIGN IN THAT BUREAUCRACY! I'm in CA.....I doubt it's any better(Might be worse, lol).

Maybe get a hold of toyoholics.com? He just build a BEAST of a 2000, and I'm not sure, but PRETTY sure it's fully ok for driving around town.... I cant understand why a tire that's NOT that big or aggressive would cause you not to pass!?!?!?!

Maybe get a second opinion? That just seems out there, 'dog'. Did he show you where this 'CODE' is???