Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

BFG Rugged trails

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG Rugged trails

They're not Scottish, THEY'RE CRAP! These are without doubt, the worst tire I've ever had on a 4X4. We got about 3 in. of the white stuff today, I was all over the road in 4HI. (I'm a pretty careful driver....) Now, I'll admit, the snow was a little wet and heavy, but these things "filled up" and stayed that way. There is just no way for the tread to clear itself.
I stopped at the local MR. TIRE in this slop. I pulled up right infront of the window and walked inside..... before I said a word, the manager looks out the window and says "Nice truck. The Rugged trails arent doing it, are they?" :pat: Now I need new tires.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Yeh, these aren't that great unless they're driving on dry pavement.

Mine are almost to the point of being replaced so I can't wait to switch them out with something else and some new wheels as well.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:09 PM

I wouldn't expect them to work well on anything but dry pavement. Look at the tread...they are street tires.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

I suppose parts of the 5 and 405 freeways could be considered rugged trails. And yes the pattern is that of a street tire but with a name like rugged trail it oght to be worth something offroad!

It's a crappy stock tire, at least on the TRD Tacomas, is all. I cna't wait for mine to wear out.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Darx
I suppose parts of the 5 and 405 freeways could be considered rugged trails. And yes the pattern is that of a street tire but with a name like rugged trail it oght to be worth something offroad!

It's a crappy stock tire, at least on the TRD Tacomas, is all. I cna't wait for mine to wear out.
Ditto.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 85runner
I wouldn't expect them to work well on anything but dry pavement. Look at the tread...they are street tires.
What he said.

Get some AT's for snow. I was always happy with them.

My new MT's are doing surprisingly well in the wet slushy stuff (and everything else for that matter)
Old 12-16-2003, 05:36 PM

When I take the plunge on the tires I'll probably want a MT. I wonder how pricey the Bridgestone MT's are. Cebby, did you go w/ the Goodyears?
Old 12-16-2003, 06:06 PM

I did alot of research on the subject. Most of the wheeling I do is sloppy mud and lots of slippery hills. I was very close to going MT/R's, but they are not a mud tire. They are great for rocks and desert wheeling and probably lots of other terrain. They don't clear mud well though. Add to that they are hard to keep in balance.

I went with BFG MT's. Alot of good feedback. Supposed to wear like iron, not too noisy on the road and dig like no tomorrow.

Plus, the 33's I got were $20 per tire less than MT/R's of the same size.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

I just ditched my rugged trails after using them for about 30k. There actually did pretty well for my on hard pack and rocks, but sucked bad in soft stuff.
I replace them with General Grabber M/T's and am super happy. I got all 4 mounted, balanced for $350. out the door.

Anyone want to buy some rugged trails??

Last edited by Marc P; 12-16-2003 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:08 PM

Toyota should be ashamed to put those POS Rugged Trails on their TRD Tacomas. They should be called "Pavement Trails" as they are the only things they're good for (if one dares say as they only last a mere 40k miles). I know its a sotck brand tire but considering the All-Terrains a few bucks more Toyota should have made those stock on the TRDs. The Rugged Trails are a joke.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Cebby
They (MT/R's) don't clear mud well though.
They more than hold their own in the mud as myself and many others have attested.

Last edited by Darren; 12-16-2003 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SpdRcr
(if one dares say as they only last a mere 40k miles).
My Rugged Trails are at 70k with rotations every 5k and still have a decent amount of tread left on them. I would say this is their saving grace. However they just aren't something you should put on a TRD labelled vehicle.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by Darren
They more than hold their own in the mud as myself and many others have attested.
I read plenty of negatives about them in the mud too. That 4Wheel article is the first where I've seen them ranked above the BFG. I noticed you didn't make mention of the balancing issue...
Old 12-17-2003, 07:03 AM

BFG "Mall-terrain" ?? Sorry. Couldnt help it. Yes fellas, these tires blow chunks. Nothing says "off-road ready" like having to shift into 4HI IN THE YARD!! Big 'ole TRD stickers on the box side, and I'm stuck in the yard....... If I had a winch, I coulda hooked to the maple.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

Have you put a few sand sausages in the back yet? That will help some, but those tires leave a lot to be desired for sure. A friend bought some at Sam's club this summer and after one little trip through a hard packed arroyo bottom, he took 'em back and got the A/T KO's.

When I was up in Houghton, I ran those stud-less Snow King tires in the winter (235/75/15) on a set of junkyard wheels, and ran my 33" A/T's in the the summer. That was on a older F-150 4x4, and I usually had about 350 lbs of weight in the back, also, I ran at 30 psi. Moving up to da UP took just a little bit of adjusting, as I've been in the SW most of my life
Old 12-17-2003, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Cebby
What he said.

Get some AT's for snow. I was always happy with them.

My new MT's are doing surprisingly well in the wet slushy stuff (and everything else for that matter)
Have you had it on ice yet? That's where my old Bridgestone Dueler M/T's had poor traction.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:09 AM

Thankfully, no ice storm.......... yet. (wait til April ) I dunno SLC. I'd probably be inclined to leave the truck and walk in ice. Hell, it's only about 1.5 mi. to work. How many times can a guy fall and bust a hip?
Old 12-17-2003, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by SLC Punk
Have you had it on ice yet? That's where my old Bridgestone Dueler M/T's had poor traction.
I hit a few patches of ice the other day, but I'm pretty careful when the weather is crappy and didn't get out of shape. I have not hit a sheet of ice yet with them. Without studs, don't most tires slide like crazy on sheets of ice? I've never had any of the other tires I've owned do anything but be useless on sheets of ice, so I'd expect the same of the MT's
Old 12-17-2003, 04:05 PM

Cebby, the only thing I've ever heard about good tires for icy conditions is: "the higher the contact patch, the better." You did it the right way, choose whats best for the conditions you spend the most time driving in.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:31 PM

Different view...

I am not sure myself, but some folks expound upon the virtues of a tire that fills its middle with snow and leavs shoulder lugs open. The idea is that the packed snow, contacting other portions of snow will cause coheision (like a big snowball rolling down a hill) and if needed the shoulder lugs will bite for extra umph. According to my dad who works for Goodyear, tire compound is just as important as design. A good winter tire will actually have sand in it albeit very fine sand. Just some food for thought.

Quick Reply: BFG Rugged trails