Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 05:55 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG all terrain ko

ok, when i go to tirerack.com and search for tires w/out specifying my runner:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

i love these tires and want them. when i enter my truck, they dont come up. these will fit, right??

theyre 265/70/16s, so they should fit fine, it seems??

i did try searching to no avail. thanks.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:01 AM

yeah they will fit fine, you can actually go up to 265/75/16 with minimal rubbing if any at all!
Old 10-08-2004, 06:14 AM
lee
Contributing Member

awesome. thank you!
Old 10-08-2004, 06:15 AM
lee
Contributing Member

god, look how awesome these tires are!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...omCompare1=yes
Old 10-08-2004, 06:26 AM

Good luck with yours, I hope you don't have the problems I have had with my 32's
Old 10-08-2004, 06:37 AM
lee
Contributing Member

can you expand?

which tires did you get? can you show them to me?
Old 10-08-2004, 06:49 AM

Well so far in having them for two months I have had one tire replaced because it was out of round (thank you tirerack) and had all 5 tires rebalanced 6 times. The wheel weights never stay on the factory OEM Toyota alloy wheels, one huge weight even came off the inside front tire and ripped open my CV boot. Sears reimbursed me to have the boot replaced(thank you Sears). I have had them balanced at Sears 4 times on a regular wheel balancer and twice on a Hunter Road Force machine. They still vibrate right between 50-60 mph. Everything else has been checked on my truck, wheels true. etc. I have driven them in the sand, which is my most common off road terrain, and they are no more impressive than the Dunlops I had on before. They hold onto rocks forever, I have driven an hour at freeway speeds and they will still have rocks flying out of the tread when I pull into my driveway. At this point I have an appointment on Monday with a shop that will be the last attempt to get them balanced properly, Haweka adapter on a Hunter RF machine with a tech that has worked on other 4Runners so he is supposed to know what he is doing. And I am waiting for some snow to test them in, but at this point I am wishing I had gone with Bridgestone Duelers, Revos, or Yoko' Geolander ATII's. My results are not typical based on other opinions I have heard, but such is my life...
Old 10-08-2004, 06:55 AM
lee
Contributing Member

what were specs on your tires?

were they the a/t ko's?

what exact size?

thanks for the opinion, everything is valuable.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by lee

which tires did you get? can you show them to me?
You can see a picture of my 4Runner with the tires on 4x4Wire Reader's Rides right here:

http://www.4x4wire.com/cgi-bin/galle...a.jpg&img=&tt=

I have not gotten around to posting a picture on Yotatech - Check out my Truck, yet. I will soon. They are the 32x11.50R15. Let me know if you want another picture.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:02 AM

I've had about 6 sets of BFG AT KO's over my lifetime and never had any problems with them. I had 3 sets on my old 1991 jeep wrangler, 2 sets on my 2001 Tacoma, 1 set on my 2003 Tundra, and I'm now running them on my 1995 T-100. They've always balanced for me, they wear great, good on road performance, and were always good for the moderate off-roading I've done. As far as snow, they dig pretty hard. I hate to hear that someone is having problems with their BFG's. I've driven down plenty of gravel/rocky roads and the tires have always shed any stuck rocks within 1 mile of pavement.
I'm currently running Bridgestone REVO's on my 4Runner, since it's the travelling vehicle right now. They do awesome in the snow, rain, and handle great. If you don't off-road your rig, you might want to look into them.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

I really like the BFGs but they are priced alot higher than the Yokohama Geos I went with and a bit higher than the Revos and don't have a mileage warranty which was a big deal to me since mine is still truly a daily driver.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:32 AM
lee
Contributing Member

whats the mileage warranty on the revos?

i know this is lame, but i really want to go letters-out and the revo's letters are butt ugly!

revos look like great tires though.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:32 AM
lee
Contributing Member

also, thanks zebra for ocnfirming what i've been hearing -- that bfg's create loyal customers.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:37 AM

lee, you won't be disappointed with either tire. i've had experience with both. however, if your truck is stock, the 265/75/16 WILL rub. i do a lot of 'onroading' and my 75s rub in a turn when the tire is jammed into the wheelwell (i.e: turning into an inclined driveway, etc). there's no way i'd expect to take it wheeling as it is.
best regards.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:46 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I've had many sets of BFGs and never had a single problem. I've had some ATs and I found they were great on sand, solid dirt and gravel type stuff, but obviously not mud. They rode well and were pretty quiet, had great tread life, but were awful in the rain, the water can't get out of that interlocking tread and they hydroplane something fierce! I finally sold off a perfectly good half used set just for this reason, and won't go back to them. (We get lots of rain in the PNW, and I like to play on muddy trails too..) The AT tread pattern was designed a long long time ago - newer designs do work much better.

As for Revos - nice street tire, but don't let their sales fluffery fool you into believing they are anything but a car tire. If all you do offroad is drive down some gravel roads you will probably love them, though.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:50 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i dont have much rain to worry about -- i need tires that can handle the snow and mud at worst.

i do some light mud driving on my friend's land for fun, nothing serious anyway.

thanks for the tip on rubbing, ill probably stick with the 70s.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:52 AM

I will be purchasing a set of the BFG's in the next month or so. I have the Radial Long Trail now and loved them. They are not the best in the snow, so that is why I am switching to the AT. I communted for two years to school, so the long trails served me well for that, but not for the weather. They do look like a great set of tires and those who have them, say nothing but good things about them. Goodluck Lee.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:04 AM
lee
Contributing Member

thanks man, you too.

seperate question: ive had these dunlops for about 15K now -- good treads still on 'em. they are actually quite capable, im just looking for a more aggressive tire (obviously).

do you think they'd actually sell with about 80% tread still on there? could actually be more...
Old 10-08-2004, 09:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got a set of 235 75 r 15 A/T ko's. (PreRecall) LR C

I love em! They get much better traction than conventional street tires in the sand, on rocks, and in the sloppy mud.... Definately not a mud tire but still probably THE best A/T tire other than the General Grabber i've come across.

I have never used the revo, but I just dont see how that thing can do anything in the sloppy mud other than to slick up....

There are several drawbacks to the ATko.... They are noisey. Those of you with them, go driving late at night in town. Roll down your driver's window only and drive about 45mph next to a curb or barier. You will hear just how loud they are....

They have an irritating vibration at certain speeds....could be the numbnuts at Sam's not balencing correctly too....

They lost me about 2mpg.

They hydroplane a good bit....not as bad as my old set of BFG trail TA's which had a similar tread design but a rounded profile and a MUCH harder rubber compound.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:49 AM

I liked my TA KOs the only downsides were; hard to keep balanced, heavy, wern't the best in the rain. But the TA KOs kick @$$, they grip/ climb like crazy in the light off roading I did, but it was always dry. Formerly I had Yokohama AVS tires, and thoes performed like a champ in rain. If they could fix the balancing issues for the tire, I think they would qualify for some of the best tires on the market. Like BFGs "they come stock on H2s," there must be a reason why....

Quick Reply: BFG all terrain ko