Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Another SFA/IFS wheel question (not about spacers)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another SFA/IFS wheel question (not about spacers)

Okay, so I've done my homework (several hours worth) and know that I would need to run spacers to clear the steering linkage if I wanted to put IFS wheels on my 1985 SFA truck. However, that's not my question or issue.

I've got a set of what I believe are IFS SR5 wheels (see pic below) and went to test fit one of them on my truck and wouldn't you know it...they don't fit over the hubs...??? WTF? First of all, they get caught on the conical washers (there are several that stick out beyond the diameter of the hub) and beyond that the center bore of the wheel is not even close to fitting over the hub.

Now, all the info I can find on the magical internet says that the center bore on all yotas from 80-95 is 106mm. So, what's the deal? Did the internet lie (no...it wouldn't do that...) So, I went out and did some very basic measuring (string pulled tight around circumference of hub) and some simple math (r=c/(6.28) and d=2r) and I believe that the hubs on my truck are actually 108mm.

The kicker of it all is that the wheels fit on the rear hubs just fine...?? And I thought that these were supposed to be hubcentric as they utilize a flat (flanged) lugnut!!???? SO, WTF!!???? How can a hubcentric wheel fit on the rear but not the front????????

So, what the heck is going on? Can anyone help? I'd love to get these wheels on the truck, but it looks like I'm being conspired against.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
My stock hubs are about 111mm (4-3/8") ID and the hubs are indeed 108mm (4-1/4") OD:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_TechI...l#Wheels/Tires

You don't have any hubs in back, at least in stock form, so the wheels have nothing to fit over and thus fit fine. Sounds like those may be 3rd gen wheels, I think those were when they changed to hub centric. Maybe you could find a local machine or wheel shop that can open up the center hole 1/8" or so for you.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 AM

So, I've got more info and I think I figured it out. My hub OD is probably actually 106mm. I say that after some more measuring. The aftermarket wheels that fit the hub have a center bore of exactly 108mm. The stock toyota wheels have a center bore of 106mm. When the aftermarket wheels sit on the hub there is a 2mm gap between the ID of the center bore and the OD of the hub. The reason the aftermarket wheels fit and the stock ones do not are the conical washers.

If you look at a stock toyota wheel (pics below) you see that there are actually spaces removed from the center bore to allow the wheel to fit past the conical washer, but still remain tight on the hub. And, they use acorn lugnuts so one would assume that the wheels are both hub and lug-centric.

However, the wheels I have were probably made for a truck with auto-locking hubs henceforth no need for the spaces. So, I have several options.

1. I can get my wheels machined and remove either a) 1mm all the way around or b) machine out slots for the conical washers

2. Find Toyota wheels with the slots in them already.

3. Just keep the wheels I have.

The issue I have with 1a is that the SR5 wheels appear to be hub centric so machining them all the way around may not be the best idea. The issue with 1b is that it's probably way more expensive than 1a to set up a jig for that then to just take 1mm off all the way around.

The issue with 2 is I'm impatient and what's the chance of finding those SR5 wheels with spaces machined in them.

The issue with three is I want new wheels.

What to do....
Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 AM

Boy I feel smart....

So, I'm trying to get a 4 spoke SR5 rim on my 85 and after seeing many photos of that wheel on manual locking hubs I knew I had to be doing something wrong. It just did not make sense to me why the wheels were not going on my truck.

So, I went and had another look. And, when I initially said the cone washers (the ones that hold the freewheel on) it was actually the spring washers (in between the cone washer and the nut) that was sticking out past the diameter of the hub. After loosening the nut I was able to slide the spring washer in closer to the hub and voila....my wheels now fit.

Now, I do take responsibility for my actions, and want to point out that while most of the time I think Toyota does a marvelous job with their engineering, this is an instance I need to say WTF Toyota! You designed a washer that interferes with placing a wheel on the truck and your workaround was to machine slots in the center bores of your wheels!!??????