Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

265/75R16 - Treadwright "Warden" w/3rd Gen 4RNR - Rub??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
265/75R16 - Treadwright "Warden" w/3rd Gen 4RNR - Rub??

My question is geared to those of you with TREADWRIGHT "Warden" (BFG A/T Knockoffs) 265/75R16 on 3rd Gen 4RNR stock rims...

I have read on other vehicle sites that these tires are 'fuller' than OEM BFGs and caused rubbing. Prudently, I am trying to find out if these are going to rub on my stock '97 SR5 4wd or not.

Personal experiences?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read this before you buy the Treadwrights. I was all for them until I read this and now, there is no way I would buy them. Saving a couple of hundred dollars can't replace a life.

Oh, and that sized tire will fit fine.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:42 PM

nothing wrong with treadwrights my friend got them a a 2500 cummins and hes on his 3rd set not a problem alot of my friends in college are running them
Old 09-09-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by CTRJ
Read this before you buy the Treadwrights. I was all for them until I read this and now, there is no way I would buy them. Saving a couple of hundred dollars can't replace a life.

Oh, and that sized tire will fit fine.
Not to sound ugly in any way whatsoever; your reply does raise some thoughts:

1. I am not here to debate the Go/No-Go of "Treadwright" - that's been beaten to death on the slew of forums and seems evident people are set in their ways no matter the findings. I do not want to open a can-of-worms and sway from the information I am looking for...just looking for factual data from people running these specific tires on my specific wheels. Make sense?

2. I looked for it but, did not see ANYWHERE, "Treadwright" was mentioned in that link you provided; hence, link=worthless, IMHO. If I missed something, let me know but, upfront, it will fall upon closed ears (see 1.). I would not be pursuing Treadwrights without doing due-diligence. In addition to what I found on-line (search yourself), I have multiple friends who have been buying these for years and running them on different vehicles, both on-off road. Treadwright is also approved and being used extensively in the military, etc., etc., etc.

3. Not sure what drew you away from the company Treadwright from reading what you read in that link???

4. Since you are against Treadwrights, I can only assume you are not running them; hence, you cannot provide pertinent feedback I am searching for. I realize 265/75R16's work (I am already running them of another brand). I have heard the diameter of Treadwrights vs. OEM BFG A/T is a bit larger...and after talking w/Treadwright today, turns out they use both a 31.75" or 32.0 mold for this tire size (you can specify which you want).

5. Lastly, your comment of "saving a couple hundred dollars can't replace a life"...well, (even though it's more like $400 diff), "nothing" can replace a life but, depending on whose that life is, that $400-saved could be well worth it!
Old 09-09-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by wolf28
nothing wrong with treadwrights my friend got them a a 2500 cummins and hes on his 3rd set not a problem alot of my friends in college are running them

...so...do you know the answer to my original question?? If not, not sure the pertinence here. lol

Just trying to keep this on-track is all.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:50 PM

The Land Cruiser in the link was sold with 10k mile Treadwright Wardens on it. They failed where the cap meets the sidewall. I'm not going to preach at you. Just wanted to point it out as food for thought. I know some people who won't buy anything else.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:00 AM

The Land Cruiser in the link was sold with 10k mile Treadwright Wardens on it. They failed where the cap meets the sidewall. I'm not going to preach at you. Just wanted to point it out as food for thought. I know some people who won't buy anything else.
Hi, I read through the 6 pages of that link (lots of conditional factors in there) and found referenced on last page...my apologizes for what I said earlier about it not being in there. As everyone knows, every company has failures...if stopped doing something to avoid a potential, I wouldn't be driving, flying, skydiving, scuba, eating sashimi, etc.etc.

From what I found, Treadwright's success rate exceeds standards, tons of people/companies running 'em without probs, and gets praised for support after-the-sale. I drive 30-40k/yr and trying to stretch my dollar (what I save will go towards suspension). Paying an extra $350 for BFG seems inappropriate. Treadwrights provide many benefits of those tires without all the cost. Everything in life is a gamble.

If I choose to purchase New v. Treadwrights, it may be for Yoko Geolander AT/S.

I also am hoping to avoid buying Treadwrights THEN find I need to contend w/rubbing...I do not want to alter vehicle just to fit tires. The search continues...
Old 09-10-2011, 09:22 AM

In that 30k-40k miles a year, how much of that is in dirt? It might be worth looking at a set of Michelin LTX MS/2. They are super quiet and nice on the street and people report getting 80k-100k out of them.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:26 PM

In that 30k-40k miles a year, how much of that is in dirt? It might be worth looking at a set of Michelin LTX MS/2. They are super quiet and nice on the street and people report getting 80k-100k out of them.
No dirt yet but, hope to find myself on the TN/NC trails at some point so want to stick with A/Ts, even though so far I would've been better-suited with H/Ws.

Side-note, today's my 2yr 4RNR anniversary...my first 4RNR...still glad I drove 3 states for this 5sp gem. Had 82K when I bought it...luvin' it!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:14 PM

Anyone happen to have an extra Michelin A/T LT 265/75 R16? Not the newer a/t 2. I have 3 just needing one.