First Aid / General Medicine Discussion pertaining to outdoor medicine, wilderness first aid kits, ect.

A Paramedics First Aid Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:29 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
http://www.1staidsupplies.com/store.php?crn=77 will help fink

http://www.semedicalsupply.com/pulse_oximeters.htm these little tricks are awesome. There is alot that the SPO2 will tell you and invaluible unless CO poisoning is suspected, that prices is awesome. But they're others out there I just pulled the first hit on my search.

A good thermometer is need to, especialy before antipyretics are given.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fink myself and a few friends split the cost of the meds. As I remember the boxes of about 100 packets or so ran about $10-$15. We split the cost and meds 3 ways.

Lamm
Old 10-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
Fink myself and a few friends split the cost of the meds. As I remember the boxes of about 100 packets or so ran about $10-$15. We split the cost and meds 3 ways.

Lamm
That's a good idea.
Those are the boxes I found too.

Thanks for the links muddpigg, I'll check those out.

Fink
Old 01-21-2010, 05:50 AM

As a medic myself (Army National Guard) I have read this thread with great interest. There are a number of things I couldn't imagine carrying personally, but a couple of good ideas found also. I would reiterate what muddpigg stated, that if you are a medic in the Army (and Marines, to my understanding) you are "Doc." At least if you are worth your salt. That is why my name is what it is here, it is a tag I wear with pride. I'm an assistant prosecuting attorney on the civilian side, but passed on the direct commission because I feel I am a good medic and good NCO. That said, being "doc" means not just handling traumas, but having "sniffle meds" at hand as well. Being willing and able to look at body parts most would prefer not to see. Because that is what it takes sometimes to earn and keep that trust, which is vital in keeping them confident in your abilities.

I typically carry a CLS bag, or sometimes my old M-17 aid bag when I go camping and four wheeling. I think one thing that would be a good idea, perhaps for another thread, is what are typical and expected injuries on a wheeling / camping trip, and what people should carry, in addition to training to be prepared for those sorts of things. Then perhaps be prepared for the "worst case scenarios" that the layman should be equipped to deal with, such as having a pocket mask on hand.

One thing I would suggest for anyone are the pre-filled syringes of sterile normal saline. They come individually wrapped, and are great for everything from eye washes to wound irrigation. I've winced when seeing someone start irrigating a wound with a half full bottle of eye wash that was opened who-know-how-long-ago. Just a thought.

Last edited by DocWard; 01-21-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DocWard
As a medic myself (Army National Guard) I have read this thread with great interest. There are a number of things I couldn't imagine carrying personally, but a couple of good ideas found also. I would reiterate what muddpigg stated, that if you are a medic in the Army (and Marines, to my understanding) you are "Doc." At least if you are worth your salt. That is why my name is what it is here, it is a tag I wear with pride. I'm an assistant prosecuting attorney on the civilian side, but passed on the direct commission because I feel I am a good medic and good NCO. That said, being "doc" means not just handling traumas, but having "sniffle meds" at hand as well. Being willing and able to look at body parts most would prefer not to see. Because that is what it takes sometimes to earn and keep that trust, which is vital in keeping them confident in your abilities.

I typically carry a CLS bag, or sometimes my old M-17 aid bag when I go camping and four wheeling. I think one thing that would be a good idea, perhaps for another thread, is what are typical and expected injuries on a wheeling / camping trip, and what people should carry, in addition to training to be prepared for those sorts of things. Then perhaps be prepared for the "worst case scenarios" that the layman should be equipped to deal with, such as having a pocket mask on hand.

One thing I would suggest for anyone are the pre-filled syringes of sterile normal saline. They come individually wrapped, and are great for everything from eye washes to wound irrigation. I've winced when seeing someone start irrigating a wound with a half full bottle of eye wash that was opened who-know-how-long-ago. Just a thought.
I agree with all that's been said here.
However, I have had a hard time finding the saline syringes for sale without a prescription.

I buy all of my med supplies from Emergency Medical Products (EMP).
Amazingly fast shipping, usually within 18-24hrs and arrives in just a couple days.

They require a prescription to be sent to them in .pdf format before you can purchase the saline syringes.
Do you know of another place online they can be purchased without one? I would definitely be interested in getting several.

Fink
Old 01-21-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
I buy all of my med supplies from Emergency Medical Products (EMP).
Amazingly fast shipping, usually within 18-24hrs and arrives in just a couple days.

They require a prescription to be sent to them in .pdf format before you can purchase the saline syringes.
Do you know of another place online they can be purchased without one? I would definitely be interested in getting several.

Fink
I will have to see what I can find. I have always been able to obtain them through the military. Never thought about needing a scrip for them, since they are just saline. Perhaps the fact that they are used as IV flush is the problem. I will let you know what I find out.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

I will have to see what I can find. I have always been able to obtain them through the military. Never thought about needing a scrip for them, since they are just saline. Perhaps the fact that they are used as IV flush is the problem. I will let you know what I find out.
I'll be interested to see what you can find, like I said I will definitely be interested in purchasing at least 3 or 4 saline syringes - right now I'm just relying on filtered water.

Fink
Old 01-21-2010, 02:44 PM

I Googled "pre-filled saline syringe" and found all sorts of hits, including amazon.com. I didn't try to purchase, since I am currently stocked, but it is a thought. The next time I get over to the local medical supply store I will ask them as well.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

I have to admit...I hadn't even tried to Google it yet.
I will do some looking and see what I can find at a decent price.

Thanks for the help!

Fink
Old 01-21-2010, 03:10 PM

Not a problem, let me know how it works out for you.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:03 PM

4x4Fink - i will pm you

Good thread fellas; I apologize if i missed it (a little tired) but i saw the glucogon and oral glucose, but i did not see the glucometer, for the amature they could at least carry the simple one from wal-mart, an excellent diagnostic tool (i know the strips are pricey but sometime you can catch a lifescan with a trial 10 pack) i personally carry 1 amp of D50 (Dextrose 50% solution - an intravenous sugar) while this would be out of the league of most guys i want to reiterate the importance of at least the oral glucose you mentioned. Was there an Epi-pen listed? Again maybe a little high on the scope scale but if you know someone with say, peanut allergies they can hook you up, or try asking you vet for one for your dog, tell him he had a bad reaction after getting stung by a bee the last time you took him camping and you getting ready to go again, hey worth a shot. Just remember they expire.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SupraRunner
4x4Fink - i will pm you

Good thread fellas; I apologize if i missed it (a little tired) but i saw the glucogon and oral glucose, but i did not see the glucometer, for the amature they could at least carry the simple one from wal-mart, an excellent diagnostic tool (i know the strips are pricey but sometime you can catch a lifescan with a trial 10 pack) i personally carry 1 amp of D50 (Dextrose 50% solution - an intravenous sugar) while this would be out of the league of most guys i want to reiterate the importance of at least the oral glucose you mentioned. Was there an Epi-pen listed? Again maybe a little high on the scope scale but if you know someone with say, peanut allergies they can hook you up, or try asking you vet for one for your dog, tell him he had a bad reaction after getting stung by a bee the last time you took him camping and you getting ready to go again, hey worth a shot. Just remember they expire.
You're right, a Glucometer is a good thing to have...I need to get another one.
My last one met it's match against our 3.5 ton Rescue truck when it was left on the ground by someone.

As far as Epi goes...you have to have a prescription for it or it's considered illegal and you could lose your license.
Not sure how somebody could get a script for it without actually needing it - I doubt a doctor would sign one just for carrying it in your POV.

Fink
Old 01-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Giving Epi can be a very dangerous thing too... it can kill the person if they did not really need it. It is skin absorbed so it can hurt you too if you get a leak on you. I remember from my air medic pilot training we were trained to always wear gloves when handling it and then use full bio hazard glove off techniques afterwards just in case.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Epi-pens are great, and anyone with allergies should carry one. OTC Bynadryl is about the best second choice I know of that won't cause any major legality issues, then add the right pedal to the mix for proper medical attention.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Epi-pens are great, and anyone with allergies should carry one. OTC Bynadryl is about the best second choice I know of that won't cause any major legality issues, then add the right pedal to the mix for proper medical attention.
Yup, I carry a small OTC bottle of Benadryl in my kit.
I also carry a small bottle of 10mg Loratadine (Claritin).

I still need to post up my kit and what I carry...one of these days...

Fink
Old 07-04-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraRunner
4x4Fink - i will pm you

Good point, really unless you know a persons med history, you can get in big trouble with bloodsugars and head injuries. Increase can in ICP and decrease can can cause problems permanent damage. This brings up a kinda funny story....

So there I was up to my knees in handgrenade pins and popsicle stick when....(been looking for a chance to say that.) Really this story is about some really well educated people who focus way too much on fancy meds... So one day in sunny Iraq on my way to Crossfit, I swing by the ED to see if the oncall is rolling. As we are talking and he's deciding on what to do with a head injury "stowe and go" or "stay and play" (TC3 instructor quote). This is a noncombat injury, a 15ft fall on to large gravel. The RN come over and proudly states "As we started to CT pt started vomiting so I went ahead a push ondonstron ( Zofran - very good anti nausea/vomiting drug) and he seems better now. I held my breath (remember I'm just a medic/nurse)as the on call Dr yells "WTF did you do that for. Call in for a STAT bird." As the verbally abused RN runs away to start things in motion. We agree our workout will be placed on hold for about an hour. So I head over to the ICU to inform the flight nurse to get ready. Well once again a very well educated and trained RN as she dons her flight gear and decides on the drugs she'll carry "asks what should she push if the pt starts crumping." My jaw about hit the floor. So I asked what wonderful drug can you push in a helicopter that will save this increased ICP pt in the air that we can't push and save him in the CSH with full OR capabilities?" She really didn't know and gets pissed at me. But honestly the only thing she could do was ask the pilot to fly the blackhawk faster. Sometimes there is no magic medication or splint or technique, but sometimes this is what we focus on. Here is two prime examples both from two highly trained and highly educated persons that worked hand in hand with Dr's and surgeon's who freely shared their knowledge and expereince. Sometimes we lose sight of the fact that there is nothing we can do but "apply deisel" (quote from my first EMT instructor) get the pateint to a higher level of care.

We run such a sticky fine line by treating strangers on our own time. Even if we stick to our local proticals. Example to Junkers: As a CLS your units PA made the desicion that you could administer morphine sololy because he had access to the medical records of every Joe in your unit and if there was any allergies to morphine and could weigh the benefit of pain management to the risk of anaphalaxis. But at the level of CLS you may not know these things just severe pain = morphine. Now, years later, you do what you were taught but now with no oversight and you get a painful injury turning into managing shock by yourself in the worse of situations, grim situation at best.

Fink still haven't put together another "aide bag" but will before I go out. Been collecting peices though.

Last edited by muddpigg; 07-04-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:54 PM

great thread and write up.. ill be lookin in to gettin somethin like this set up for myself, been wantin a good trauma kit to carry around, not quite as fancy though as some of that stuffs not in my scope, but still very neat..
Old 02-06-2011, 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good thread, but it seems like some of these kits and knowledge bases are a little much to useful/ safely used by the average Joe. Granted I would love to have one of you guys who is a paramedic or army medic on my trips.

For wilderness/ back country trips I think taking a Wilderness First Responder class is one of the most useful things you can do to prepare and a lot more applicable to backcountry situations than EMT training. The WFR classes focus more on how to deal with situations with limited resources and how to improvise - packing knowledge rather than supplies. Most situations can be handled with a minimalist kit, if they can't you will need to evacuate anyway. My kit generally has some "sniffel" meds like Ibuprofen and Excedrin, wound closure strips, tufa gauze pads for covering wounds and blister control, some tweezers, trauma scissors, and and most importantly athletic tape. I also have a clotting bandage and an eppi pen with benadryl. That is pretty much it.

On the issue of getting an epi pen - try just asking your doc after you have a little training so they feel you have a good reason to want it and also know when to use it (or when not too). After I took my WFR course I just asked my doc, told him why I wanted it and he game me a scrip for it.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:28 AM

Exclamation A couple extra items

I must say that is the most extensive first aid kit iv ever seen and many times I wish I had some of it to use when I was in need but a couple things I would like to ad to that list that every outdoor/4x4 fanatic should have are saleen soulution for rapid rehydration during emergancy situations,and some form of contact device other than a cell phone weather it be on star,life aleart or any other direct contact device causei know from experience that they will save your life when out of cell range I could of helped someone in the new hampshire wight mountains but could not get cell service so he lyed on the ground having a heart atack untill I found a vehicle with on star who finally got in contact with emergany services to come help I had asked 25 people before I found this guy help every person had no cell service the only thing that saved him was a nurse and a doctor were there to administer cpr for 20 mins and keeping him alive I wont travel any more without something to contact help imediatly if necessasary and I advise everyone that sees this to consider getting something as well I dont want I to happen to anyone or experience a situation like that again!!!!
Old 08-23-2023, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!