Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Outlander Sherpa II trailer

Old 03-06-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outlander Sherpa II trailer

All,

I am now able to proceed with my trailer project. I have been 'chomping at the bit' to start and now my wife has given me the green light (following paying off her '04 Sequioa). Mind you, she has always given me a green light to proceed with the various projects that I have had in the past...I dare not venture into the 'do-it-yourself' realm as some of you have admirably done, rather, my skill set lies in the realm of dentistry, and I realized early on that it's easier for me to deal with millimeters in the mouth rather than inches and square feet in the garage.

Anyway, I had a chance to look at the many offerings on various forums, and I want to congratulate and thank all of you for your contributions. There is a wide variety of trailers here that range from the elegant to utilitarian. Nonetheless, all have their strengths and weaknesses. My needs required a more 'modular' approach to a trailer. I felt that an RV or a dedicated camping trailer would only be a 'one dimensional' solution for my needs and wants. I intend to use this trailer throughout the year depending upon the season. It will be used for the following: 1) going into the woods and haul split logs for the winter. 2) have the ability to drag various big game from the field to my freezer (following processing of course). 3) have the ability to load up my ZTR or future ATV. 4) take the family camping in the great outdoors. 5) serve as a part of the TEOTWAWKI solution and help get my family out of the suburban jungle to the sticks...So, given all of these factors, I have decided to go with a custom built trailer by Outlander trailers. I have been in touch with Robert Shepard for over a year now, and we have bounced around various design ideas. My trailer will be a form of this type of trailer called the Sherpa II. The width will be a little wider since the modern ATVs require about 50" across.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  49.5 KB

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  54.7 KB

I just returned from Sheridan, Arkansas to see firsthand the Outlander trailer operation. I got a chance to spend about 2.5 hours discussing the trailer options available. Let me say that his knowledge, attention to detail, and insight are all exceptional. It was well worth the trip!

I purchased 3 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo in size LT265/75/r16 and mounted them onto my split spoke wheels that I had in the garage. Tire shop had a first generation Revo laying around and let me have it for $100 if I bought two of the second generation ones...turned out to cost $150 per tire...

The issue currently that I am wrestling with is what kind of tent system to purchase. I need to have a changing / privacy room off of the tent for my wife to approve...So, I was wondering if there are any other options available besides the Serengeti...

Name:  JVL_2824.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  99.1 KB

I have also seen the Eezi-awn Globetrotter system but I think that the room would be too small for this to work. The room 'below' would need to be able to fit a cot as well as a porta potty system.

Please feel free to add any and all insight! Thanks in advance!

Regards,

BWJ
Old 03-07-2010, 03:15 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Very nice setup.
Saw this posted over at Expo yesterweek.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Corey
Very nice setup.
Saw this posted over at Expo yesterweek.
Thank you, Sir! I must say the expression "it's the journey, not the destination..." has some merit when proceeding with a build as well...

Regards,

BWJ
Old 03-07-2010, 03:40 PM

Tent options...

I have been pondering this issue...What if I went with a Mombasa tent (Adventure II) and in lieu of an additional room, go with an Oztent RV-1 or an RV-2 with Deluxe peaked side panels? The ideal would be to snug the tent right up 'into' the awning portion and then fabricate an custom wall that would drape over the trailer tent opening. The outer rain fly of the tent would drape over the the entire awning of the RV-2...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  oztent037.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  oztent056.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  84.7 KB

I will call Oztent usa and get more information on this option...

Regards,

BWJ
Old 03-11-2010, 05:39 PM

Update...LED and Electrical systems

Got off the phone with Robert yesterday and decided on the electrical system as well as the LED light system...**Disclaimer - I am NOT an electrical guy by any stretch of the imagination so my knowledge regarding these specific systems are limited in scope.** If you have any questions, I will kindly deflect any and all questions to the professional (Robert Shepherd / Outlander Trailers / 501-681-4573).

Electrical system:

1) Battery: Deka AGM 9A34 ~ This is a sealed absorbed glass mat battery.

2) Charger: Guest 2608A ~ This is a fully automatic marine charger for a single battery bank. It has a maintenance function that will keep the batteries charged and desulfated during storage.

3) Battery Seperator: Sure Power 1314 ~ This separator disconnects the trailer battery bank from the vehicle when the vehicle is not running. It also controls the charge from the alternator to the trailer battery bank.

4) Battery master switch: Guest or Perko ~ This will shut down the entire system while in storage to prevent accidental discharge.

5) Shore receptacle: Marinco ~ This all weather marine receptacle utilizes a standard 110VAC extension cord to power the battery charger.

6) 12VDC receptacles: SeaDog ~ Three receptacles protected by inline fuses.

Name:  Electrical.jpg
Views: 3309
Size:  59.9 KB

* Electrical system will not be located in a tongue box but rather in the front cargo box *

Led Lighting

1) Two PM LED flood lights mounted on awning. Switched at distribution panel.

Name:  Awning003.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  97.2 KB

2) Three SolTek LED compartment lights. Switched individually at light and switched as a group at distribution panel.

Name:  616080.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  7.3 KB

3) One Sound Off Signal LED strip light mounted in roof top tent. Switched at light and switched at distribution panel.

Name:  ETULT12W_01.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  11.6 KB

4) One 12VDC receptacle pod mounted on floor of roof top tent. Pod contains three receptacles. Switched with tent light at distribution panel.

Slowly but surely, the dream is being realized...

Regards,

BWJ
Old 03-13-2010, 07:44 AM

Update...Powder coating

Now is the time for powder coating...The price for the Sherpa includes powder coating of the trailer as well as the cargo / fender boxes. The frame of the trailer will be PC'd with a black hammertone finish with some gloss...

Name:  finish1.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  43.2 KB

The cargo / fender boxes are presenting a different conundrum. I am looking at options regarding what color scheme to go with. The powder coating company that Robert uses has access to all the 'Tiger Drylac' colors. Several options are currently posted. I really did like aggie's 'old' trailer color scheme:

Name:  CIMG1246.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  45.3 KB

However, one of the drawbacks to the black color is that they get hotter during the day (Robert says approximately 20-25 degrees hotter) as compared to other color offerings...Therefore making the fridge work harder througout the day ~ Not good...
Thus, I am contemplating other colors schemes. Initially I was thinking of a clear coat on raw metal:

Name:  clearbig.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  12.1 KB

My rationale for this is option is to avoid chipping from traveling gravel roads. I would eventually get all of the surfaces facing the front of the trailer coated with the Ameraguard coating...but I'm not too sure about leaving the boxes as is...

Name:  DSC03657.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  82.3 KB

Another option would be a straight silver 'ish' PC color to hide the 'dings' from fabrication...

Name:  silverbig.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  7.2 KB

Thus transforming this:

Name:  CIMG1257.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  37.0 KB

to this:

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  54.7 KB

I have always been a guy that doesn't like to be be apart of the masses. Yeah, I have a quirky side to me. That's always the way that I have been ~ somewhat of a 'gadget guy' ...Anyways, the quirky side of me wants to consider a more unique PC vein / hammered / antique color for the boxes...

Name:  copperveinbig.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  18.5 KB

Name:  finish4.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  73.0 KB

I must admit that the copper vein is growing on me. The awning as well as the tent cover will be earth tones...I figure one option is to go with the copper vein and use a tan type of lettering similar to Aggie's old trailer...
Here is a sample of the copper vein finish on a truck...Closest pic I could find.

Name:  CopperVien1_l.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  50.6 KB

Don't know as of yet...Still thinking...Off to find someone with mad photoshop skills...More later!

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited by bigwapitijohnny; 03-13-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
*subscribes*
Old 03-13-2010, 08:13 AM

excellent "work"--dang, you put as much or more thought in this than i did in my gettin' hitched 34 years ago--guess i just got lucky--can't wait to see the final project--
Old 03-14-2010, 12:14 PM

Update...Powder coating continued

I am not sure if this copper vein look would look too trendy with the whole metallic 'earthy' feel...Not feeling the copper vein look in the 'photochopped' version...

Name:  coppervien2copy.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  74.6 KB

another option I found was this copper vein in a matte finish that reminds me of wood almost...

Name:  powder_-_copper_vein_matte.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  23.2 KB

*Update: got the first 'photochopped' version back...Not feeling the wood look with the matted copper vein...

Name:  Wood.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  72.0 KB

More photoshop versions to follow with superimposed texture and color...I will post up more of these as I get them.
Back to the vein finishes. I am leaning toward getting the silver vein powder coating done. By the way, the frame will have a two layer coat of powder over a POR primer ~ that should keep the rust away for some time, and free us up to use this trailer as much as possible. Here are some samples of the silver vein finish from various distances...

Name:  charcoal-silver20vein3_l.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  Chevy_mid80_tight4_l.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  117.5 KB

Name:  silver_vane2.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  72.8 KB

Name:  finish4.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  73.0 KB

As you continue to step away from the pattern, it seems to lighten up a bit. I think that this color will make the boxes 'pop'.

Good problems to have that is for sure! Have a blessed day!
Regards,
BWJ

Last edited by bigwapitijohnny; 03-14-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by sotb3
excellent "work"--dang, you put as much or more thought in this than i did in my gettin' hitched 34 years ago--guess i just got lucky--can't wait to see the final project--
Thanks for the kind words. By the way, CONGRATS on 34 years of being hitched...you don't do too many things in life for 34 years in a row...

Regards,

BWJ
Old 03-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Amazing trailer, really like the tent variations that work with the trailer.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

You could always colour match to your truck... or go with OD green...
just saying...
white on black frame would be very utilitarian/commercial looking and you could go for some dental themed stickers... make the framing look like braces or something and promote yourself...
ie... "Does your smile look like this trailer? Call xxx-xxx-xxxx I can fix that."

as regards the tent I think Corey's hard top model has an sideroom option...
the only thing I don't like about the ones you currently have is the cooking/dining awning is on the other side from the tent entry and in the rain you'd get soaked going back and forth.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:08 PM

Update...Powder coating continued.

Got some of the other 'photochopped' images back today. I'm going to get some samples from the powder coater in a week or so. I have narrowed it down to either the metallic silver, dark metallic silver, silver vein, or black...

Name:  Jon_Kim_Mobile_Unit_BlackCromecopy.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  Jon_Kim_Mobile_Unit_Silvercopy.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  Jon_Kim_Mobile_Unit_Blackcopy.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  61.2 KB

Here is a pic of wet black as compared to silver vein...

Name:  Wet_Black_Silver_Vien_w-Glass_Clear.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  39.0 KB

Again, my vision is to coat the 'fore' surfaces with an Ameraguard coating that will protect those sides from road debris... Ameraguard is similar to that of Rhino and Line-X, but it is more UV resistant. Both Rhino and Line-X are Aromatic Urethanes and will eventually crack, peel and fade despite the addition of UV stabilizers, it is chemically impossible to prevent this from happening. However, the Ameraguard product is an Aliphatic Urethane and is said to be more chemically stable and will not crack, peel and fade under UV conditions as fast. I am not a chemist by any means, however, I can tell you that this stuff coated on my rockers and sliders look as good as the day it was first applied...

Name:  IMG_1272.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2854.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  67.9 KB

The journey continues...
Regards,
BWJ
Old 03-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Nice!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 03:54 PM

Update...Fridge and Onboard water

Pulled the trigger on a freezer/ fridge today. It is the Engel 45 purchased at Cabelas. I had earned a pretty nice chunk of Cabelas cash from my business credit card (Doing my part to stimulate the economy as well as stamping out dental disease) so 'cost' was minimal to say the least I chose the Engel 45 over a Yamaha generator for now. Based on what I have read on the forums, Engel's reputation for quality, efficiency, and durability is exceptional. Easy choice in my book. Pretty good deal for working hard...Now gettin' ready to play hard as well...

Name:  MT45.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  30.6 KB

This will be housed in the front cargo area of the trailer box. Fridge will be mounted on a custom slide system.

Name:  Sims015.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  62.2 KB

Also getting the 15 gallon water tank with the 12 DC pump and faucet...Layout will be different than the picture above.

Onward...

Regards,

BWJ
Old 03-26-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

The Engel is just like my old school ARB fridge.
Very reliable, and great to have camping.

Once you fridge, you will never want to go back to ice coolers.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:44 PM

First fridge ever...Looking forward to it. I was going to go with Galaxy coolers at first, but by the time I crunched the numbers, it was cheaper to go with the fridge (Cabelas cash is GREAT!)...Cannot wait to break it in...
Old 03-27-2010, 05:50 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

If you need to change the way the lid opens on it, here is how to do it.
https://www.yotatech.com/50930889-post276.html

Also these baskets come in handy for it.
https://www.yotatech.com/50950936-post277.html

Very nice trailer setup you have there.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:00 AM

Thanks!

Two zone baskets, transit bag and hinge lock are on their way...

How many hinge locks do I need? One or Two?

Regards,

BWJ

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Outlander Sherpa II trailer