Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Hanging off vehicles is dangerous - DON'T DO IT!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:54 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hanging off vehicles is dangerous - DON'T DO IT!

During the TTORA Moab event in October 2006, one of the members of the CO chapter jumped onto a rig's slider to act as a couterbalance on the lower section of Moab Rim (just below Devil's Crack). He slipped off, received SERIOUS head trauma and was run over across the torso.

Fortunately, the rig was a relatively light truggy on 42's, so the unit pressure was quite low - probably the only reason he survived.

In these situations, the first activity should ALWAYS be to evaluate the situation, and see if the wheel is going to come down as the vehicle progresses.

If not, there are MANY options:
- back up, get out of the roll danger, reevaluate the line
- stack rocks
- attach a strap to another vehicle
- attach a strap/spotter rope and have people (generally more than one) on the end
- use a jack to lift the compressing side

As always, keep in mind that relatively minor injuries can become major and even fatal due to how remote we often are when these things happen. The guy above was VERY lucky that it was on THAT specific location of THAT specific trail (which actually has cell coverage and is not too far out of town)

Remember, rolled/endo'd rigs are replaceable - lives are not.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good reminder. i think some of us tend to do some things to help out without really thinking about it first. being around something so heavy that is moving can be very dangerous.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:55 PM

this is the first i've read about the guy at moab.. sorry to hear that
Old 05-29-2007, 07:40 PM
tc
Contributing Member

He was in the hospital for a day or so, then his parents came and picked him up - last I heard he was doing OK. We saw him a few days after, and he looked, well, like he'd been hit by a truck! He was still kinda out of it too, but that may have been the pain meds.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:44 PM
tc
Contributing Member

BTW - spotter rope:
http://www.4x4winch.com/item.cfm?itemid=21462

or even:
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...i=10380&aID=1G
Old 05-29-2007, 08:10 PM

Thats too bad, but didn't I recently see a post by a certain group of guys with like three guys hanging off the rear bumper as the truck almost endoed??
Old 05-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have thought of a spotter rope to carry for emergencies such as this, and I have a thread somewhere, maybe even this section on the one from www.winchline.com
Old 05-30-2007, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are calling Levi's truck light?

I cannot abide by a completely hands off approach. There is a difference between taking a known risk and being stupid. Just being on the trail is a risk.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Banned

Ive seen this happen before, if you have a large group, like others have said sometimes its nearly too late, but if you can get the guys to balance the rig, (driver doesnt make a move at all) then get someone to run and get a tow strap and just tie it off, get the other guys too balance the rig with the strap in time for the guys hanging, to get off themselves, and then you have enough people to keep the balance for the truck to neither endo, roll, flip, flop whatever and all is done well
Old 05-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by neliconcept
Ive seen this happen before, if you have a large group, like others have said sometimes its nearly too late, but if you can get the guys to balance the rig, (driver doesnt make a move at all) then get someone to run and get a tow strap and just tie it off, get the other guys too balance the rig with the strap in time for the guys hanging, to get off themselves, and then you have enough people to keep the balance for the truck to neither endo, roll, flip, flop whatever and all is done well
This is exactly what we did here with Rich's truck on Devil's crack.

We put weight on the back until we could get a strap on him.... THEN let the driver finish the line. So I do think that jumping on for stabilization can be ok. But it TRULY depends on the situation. In this picture the guys could easily hop off if the truck moved at ALL. The driver did not attempt to finish the line with them on it. We only stabilized the truck till we could get a strap on it. As a constant spotter - esp in Moab I often have my ARB strap with me for this reason (Like I carry it while walking the trail).

*HINT HINT... My birthday is coming up. I need a spotter rope troy*

The other problem though with pictures like this (And the recent one with the 3 guys) is that if you weren't there you may not know what the intent of the people were. The picture can easily be taken out of context and seen as irresponsible. Or the act itself was IN FACT irresponsible.

Last edited by Lysmachia; 05-30-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ric
i think they tried to keep it hush hush, but the whole story was online for bit. i could be wrong (again,lol)
It wasn't hush hush... It was a TTORA event and so it was discussed more there. And there was some tension between the driver and the acidenter that got really difficult.

At any rate Jason is fine but he had severe bruising and some staples. I think Both Jason and Levi would admit they both made mistakes that allowed the accident to happen....
Old 06-02-2007, 08:07 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Video showing the proper technique:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...26594663174545

[GVIDEO]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7073826594663174545[/GVIDEO]
Old 06-02-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
cool video. Anyone have a link to the thread on TTORA discussing the accident with the truggy on 4D2s?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

It's buried somewhere under the TTORA Moab Takeover 2006 (October) thread. Sorry don't feel like searching. But if you look at posts made by pimptoy (the guy who got run over) you might be able to find something. Like I said it was not discussed much because it kind of ruined a friendship between him and the driver.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
altho this is dangerous i have been thankful that people have done this for me before to keep my truck from going over which it was close to but yea i can see where the common sence to jump off the truck has to play a part to
Old 06-14-2009, 10:31 AM

always good to read this stuff. sometimes im quick to jump on a bumper without thought or stick my arm out a window when im driving...all the things im not supposed to do but reminders like this provide a good slap thats needed often. thanks for the post!
Old 06-15-2009, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Finally an old thread revival that is always relavant.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

You know we had to have a guy jump on a rig just a few weeks ago in Moab.... and it could have been seen as similar, but it wasn't. There was more communication between what was going on, and we stabilized so he could then go forward.... I am not here to say people should not Jump on a rig, just not jump on while it is moving without communication with the driver and spotter ya know???

Doing the Golden Crack Backwards, June 2009 - CoTTORA and CO YotaTech Crew:

And then got him going the right way!

We did the Golden Crack Backwards because we went in backwards via Gemini Bridges, did Rusty Nail (AWESOME! _ and then hit the crack, and did Gold Bar Rim on our way out!

Man I need to get the videos done!