Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium & Boulder 100 Watt Solar Panel

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 03:07 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium & Boulder 100 Watt Solar Panel

This is posted in my buildup thread, but I am posting it here too in case no one saw it yet.

I use to run the ArkPak battery generator when camping to power up my string of old school Goal Zero 3 watt LED lanterns I hung on the Campinglab awning, and also to charge back up flashlight and camera batteries.
The Ark weighs in around close to 100 lbs, so I am retiring it to home duty for power outages.

I picked up the new Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium generator to take over for the ArkPak since the Yeti tops out at 17 lbs, a lot lighter for me.
To charge it back up I got the new Boulder 100 watt Briefcase solar panel.
The Yeti will power all of the LED lanterns, and charge up all of my batteries for my Fenix headlamp and 2,000 lumen flashlight.

The only thing I do not like about the Boulder solar panel is the flimsy canvas case Goal Zero provides with it, but as you can see in my video from Sunday, the Renogy case fits it fine.

I am still using the Renogy 100 watt solar panel, as its primary duty is to keep the aux. battery topped off while camping as it powers the National Luna Weekender 50 Twin freezer/fridge.

I ran a test yesterday with the solar panel hooked to the Yeti, but it was very overcast, and I was only pulling in 4 to 7 watts into the Yeti.
It will be much better in direct sunlight.

I have an email into Renogy to see if I can buy just the case so I can better protect my Goal Zero solar panel when in transit.

I really like the new Yeti, so light weight, and it should work out fine for camping.