Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Camping Gear Reviews, A Ton

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Camping Gear Reviews, A Ton

FYI, besides this and the cloned thread on three other forums I frequent, I recently made a camping gear review blog which goes into more detail on a few things.
It can be found here.

http://backcountry-camping-gear-reviews.blogspot.com/

I have been buying tons of new camping equipment this season as seen by this thread.

Most of the gear I have picked up from Cabela’s.
Most of my old camping gear was from my tent trailer days, and simply to big to transport in the FJ Cruiser.

Here are the reviews:

Pett toilet system

I like it, well half way
The privacy tent deploys and sets up in a minute.
No poles to attach, they are already sleeved into the tent fabric.
However taking down the tent is a major PITA.
And it is to small to use as a shower tent.
I will be looking at a much bigger double duty crapper/shower tent for my next outing, and leave this one at home.

Now to the crapper.
Very stable, unless you lean to the side to wipe, as it has three legs, and not four.
Standard size seat, so it is fairly comfortable
The bag system that Pett uses are pretty cool.
When done, simply zip up the bag (two used) and toss it into your garbage bag you have in camp, or toss the bag in a trash receptacle if one is close by.

One bad thing about the tent, the guylines they give you for extra hold down in a wind (the four corners also stake down) are slippery, and they slide on the plastic rope things that are suppose to keep the rope taut with the stake.
In other words, the guylines are useless.
You can replace them though.

I give it two thumbs up, the toilet that is, and not the tent

Pros:
* The shelter is very easy to setup.
* The toilet is comfortable to sit on.
* The Wagg Bags make it easy to get rid of your waste.

Cons:
* The shelter is a PITA to take down and put away.
It should become easier over time I would think.
To small to really shower in, will be looking for a much bigger one.

Cabela’s Picnic Table

One person can set the whole table up in just a few minutes.
It deploys very fast, and is just as easy to take down for packing.

It is amazing that such a small package expands to a dining table big enough to seat four.
A little cramped with four, but it can be done.
It is very stable too.
I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* The table is a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be.
* Takes up very little room in the rig when folded down.

Cons:
* Can not really think of any, as this little table rocks the woods.

Cabela’s Instant Cooking Station

Once setup you have three surfaces to use.
I used the middle one for the propane stove.
I am using one of the other sides for the wash basin, and the other side for the disk drying rack.

Below the middle shelf I have two of the Sterilite drawers stacked together.
The upper one holds my silverware and cooking utensils, and the bottom one holds the pots and pans and other miscellaneous stuff.

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* Kitchen takes up little space in the rig.
* Sets up extremely fast/

Cons:
* Can not think of anything.

Tech tip:
The paper towels were unraveling from the wind.
Take your last sheet and poke a hole in it, and stick it through the rod to keep it from doing that.

Sterilite 2101 Drawers for Cabela’s Kitchen

See above statements.

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* Stackable drawers does not get any easier than this.
They do the job, and are inexpensive.

Cons:
* Can not think of any.

Cutter Advanced Sport Insect Repellent

Mosquitoes and black flies love to dine on me when out in the woods.
I use to use 100% DEET, but that stuff is nasty for plastics and nylon.
Never again will I use that stuff.
I used it a lot in the 80s and 90s.

I read up on Cutter Advanced stuff, as they use no DEET in it, they use another ingredient called Picaridin.
The ARMY is even experimenting with the stuff as an alternative to DEET.

Once applied, it kept the mosquitoes away from me 100%.
however a few small black flies would still land on me, but not for to long.

Overall I was impressed with the stuff very much.
And it does not leave your skin greasy like DEET products do.

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* Very effective in keeping the nasty bugs at bay.
* Does not leave your skin greasy like DEET does, and will not harm plastics, nylon clothing, sleeping bags.

Cons:
* A few black flies landed on me and circled me for dinner, wish it would keep them away completely.

Coleman Lantern Stand

Another cool item.
I have owned a Firefly lantern stand (Google that item) since the early ‘90s.
It is a pain to setup.
The Coleman lantern stand however sets up very fast like a camera tripod.
It is adjustable up to around seven feet high, and has a flip out holder to hold your lantern.
It also comes with stakes to help hold it steady.

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* Sets up in seconds, much faster than my old Firefly stand.
* It looks cool, very cool.

Cons:
* Can not think of anything to report.

Cabela’s 12 LED Lantern with Remote

The remote is cool if you want to climb into bed then hit the remote to turn the lantern off.
However this really does not put out sufficient light to read with unless you have it right next to you.

But if you have to wake up in the middle of the night due to a full bladder and have to relieve yourself, it provides enough light to see to get out of your bedding/sleeping bag and exit your tent to find your bush or portapotty.

Can not really give this two thumbs up either, but it works OK in an enclosed area such as a tent.

Pros:
* Compact
* Remote control is very cool.
* Lit up the inside of my roof top tent pretty good.

Cons:
* Not enough light output to read by for this old mans eyes.

Sorry, I forgot to snag a picture of it up in the roof top tent.
Here is a picture I found with Google though.

Maggiolina AirLand Roof Top Tent (my penthouse)

This root top tent rocks!
I slept nine hours almost both night in it.
Way more sleep than I get at home.
The nice thing about the AirLand is it sets up much like a tent trailer does by inserting a crank to deploy the roof.

Simply undo three latches on the roof, insert the crank handle, and crank it up.
The whole tent is setup in less than one minute.
After the roof is raised, you reach inside and pull out the adjustable aluminum ladder.
Set the ladder up against the tent with the hooks on the top, and you are all set to climb inside for a good nights sleep on the 3.1” mattress, or for a quick nap.

All the bedding is already setup if you packed it away that way.
I have the medium size AirLand, and it takes full sheets.
I am using fitted flannel sheets.
The down comforter is a twin size.
The brand I got is cut larger than most comforters, so even a twin is a little big, but it works out very well.
It came with three pillows too, and with the sheets and comforter setup, you would swear you were at home in your bed instead of out camping.
It is extremely comfortable.

Mine is mounted to four Yakima crossbars on my FJ Cruisers roof rack, and it is very stable.

Also since you are up in the air, you do not have to worry about tracking dirt or water into your tent.
Your sleeping quarters stay a lot cleaner than if in a tent on the ground.

These same tents are used around the world on expeditions, and they do very well in rain and windy situations.

While some campers next to me were cold when they got up, I was toasty.
I slept in my undies, and was not cold at all.
I did touch the comforter top a few times early in the morning, and it was very cold.
It gets cold early in the morning before the sun comes up at Mt. Rainier.
However, I was toasty under the covers.

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* Hard shell design with insulated roof.
* 12v light inside.
* Cranks up like a tent trailer, see a video I made setting it up at my home.
[youtube]rHd77e7PbIE[/youtube]
* Tent material is pretty much water proof from reading other reviews online.
* Very comfortable.
* Having all the bedding setup is so cool.
* If you like to gab a lot with other campers, surprise, you are in for showing many what the tent is all about.

Cons:
* The price may scare a few off, but like most fine things in life, you get what you pay for with this AutoHome tent.
* I was constantly bugged my whole trip by curious campers.
They would drive by my site, even walk by, and everyone just had to ask me what it was, and how did I like it.
Being the good camping ambassador that I am, I obliged and answered all of their questions, I even let some go up the ladder to take a peak inside.
Be prepared if you get one and are in a public campground, you will draw lots of attention.

Camping Lab Awning

Owner Fernando hand crafted me some custom mounts to mount the awning to my Yakima crossbars.
The awning is setup on the drivers side of my roof rack.
The awning is very easy to setup, and once deployed gives you a nice area to sit under to get out of the sun or the rain.

It sprinkled my first night up at Mt. Rainier, so I ducked under the awning for awhile in my camp chair.
I am glad I had the awning.

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* Fairly easy to setup by oneself.
* Seems stable in the wind when staked out with the included guylines and stakes.
* Offers a substantial amount of shade and relief from the sun at the elevation I encountered up at Mt. Rainier at the White River campground.

Cons:
* A little hard to take down with one person.
Take down is easier with two.

Zodi Hotman Extreme S/C Shower

Nothing like getting a warm/hot shower in camp when all you have nearby is a cold river/creek/stream to bathe in.
Been there done that many a time.

The water pressure is not great of course like a home shower, but it helps get the dirt off of you.
I have read that some replace the simple on/off head on it with a kitchen sprayer.
I may end up trying that.

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* Compact little unit.
* Easy to operate.

Cons:
* Could use more water pressure, but then I am use to being a water hog at home when taking a shower with the water pressure on at a good pace.

Battery powered water drinking pump from Jacks Toolshed

I saw this pump mentioned on Expedition Portals forum by member SOCALFJ.
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=15608

This pump fits into the water cooler bottles like you have at the office or at home.
I find it kind of a drag to fill up jugs at home from my Pur water faucet filter in the kitchen.
I do stock my ARB fridge with the 12 oz water bottles you buy at the grocery store, but those would go to quick when you want fresh water for cooking or just a cool quick drink of filtered water.

You can get the five or three gallon water bottles at some supermarkets, and also fill them there with filtered water.

Set a bottle on your picnic table, insert the pump, and you have fresh water for a weekend of camping at the touch of a button.

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* Easier than a hand pump that can be had for these bottles.
* Other campers are intrigued by it, and ask for more information.

Cons:
* Mine did not screw onto the five gallon water bottle like it should.
Perhaps the bottle is not threaded correctly, I do not know.
It still worked just fine though.

ARB Fridge/Freezer

Very cool, no pun intended.
I have taken this on outings to Greenwater and served up frozen ice cream bars to the group.
Nothing like having your food at the right temperature just like your home refrigerator.

Virtually silent this piece of fine workmanship is outback proven around the whole globe.
Once you use one of these things, you will wonder why you put up with the mess of using ice for years.

You can buy an add on for this called the “Two Zone” which replaces the lid on it with another compartment.
So you can use one for refrigeration, and one for a freezer.

I highly recommend one of these for your next camping/expedition trip.

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* No more soggy food!
* Room for plenty of food, and you do not have to shift the food around a block of ice.
* Can be used as a freezer too, but not at the same time when in refrigeration mode.
* Draws little power (extremely energy efficient) from the vehicles battery, as you can go close to five days on a healthy battery.
* Temp gauge included to keep an eye on the temperature.
* High tech to keep your perishable food fresh for days.

Cons:
* Temperature gauge is in Celsius, no option to set it to Fahrenheit.

Foxhill Oven

Not a new item for me, I have had this oven since 1991 or so.
Back before I was introduced to the Internet, I think I saw the ad for this hot little item in Trailer Life magazine or some camping magazine.
I put up a review on this several years ago on YotaTech.
It works as advertised.
Set it on top of your camping stove, and watch the temp gauge go up.
Level off your flame when you get to the desired temp setting, and cook away.

Anything you can cook at home in an oven you can cook in the Foxhill oven, within reason.
It contains a non stick baking pan, so the volume of what you can cram into it will be limited.

They also now offer a dual pan oven, so that offers you twice the baking capacity of the one I have.

I use mine to cook up my Morningstar sausage, and Boca chicken patties for dinner.
You can also use it to heat up French bread.
I am sure you will find this oven very handy around the campsite on your next outing.

Pros:
* You can bake, warm up leftovers, and do much more with this oven.
* Has a built in temp gauge on the front so you can time how long to cook your grub.

Cons:
* I can not think of any.
I have had this oven since the early 90s, and have been very happy with it.

I hope these reviews can be of help to you if you are thinking if getting new camping/expedition gear soon.

My vacation where I reviewed the above gear:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f100...ark-wa-151692/
Old 08-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had friends over for dinner last night and showed them your setup. They're backpackers, but got all giddy after seeing your rig and gear. They're going FJ and equipment shopping today.

Several calendar worthy pics there for sure, and I think you're about to lighten my wallet after seeing several pieces of kit that are now at the top of my "must have" list.

You da (FJ) Man!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BT17R
Several calendar worthy pics there for sure, and I think you're about to lighten my wallet after seeing several pieces of kit that are now at the top of my "must have" list.

You da (FJ) Man!
You got that right. Try living close to Corey. I don't think my wife likes him too much. I keep showing her all his toys and she just rolls her eyes and walks off.

Great write up Corey!!!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by BT17R
I had friends over for dinner last night and showed them your setup. They're backpackers, but got all giddy after seeing your rig and gear. They're going FJ and equipment shopping today.

You da (FJ) Man!
Thanks Bob, I will have to go through some of the pics, as it is getting near calendar time.
We will have a thread up hopefully this month.

So they may get an FJ, cool.
I use to really be into backpacking back in the early 80s.
I packed all over Rainier into their back country camps.
Afraid I am not in good enough shape for that now, and I enjoy just hanging out at camp and the fresh air.
That is what it is all about, getting outside and seeing nature.
Originally Posted by Toddski
You got that right. Try living close to Corey. I don't think my wife likes him too much. I keep showing her all his toys and she just rolls her eyes and walks off.

Great write up Corey!!!
Thanks Todd.
He he he, you gotta take her up to that campground Todd, beautiful place.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

Someday i will have a rig like yours.
This is our way of camping right now
Old 08-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Cabela's Deluxe Roll-top Table

Originally Posted by Toddski
Someday i will have a rig like yours.
This is our way of camping right now
And you camp in style too Todd, very nice setup.

OK, this is a non field test since I am not camping at the moment.
My table came on Thursday of this week.

Cabela's Deluxe Roll-Top Tables

I just set this up in my home, and it was pretty straight forward.
I would rather be out camping, but I have other commitments this holiday weekend.

Picture one below shows the nice carrying bag it comes in.
The inside has two compartments.
One for the leg and pole system, the other for the table top.

Picture two below shows the contents.
Not shown is the two piece poles that slide into each other.
These are the braces that go along the length of the table to brace it, and they also snap into the top of the leg system to make the top rigid.
The poles are inside the mess of the leg system.

Picture three below shows the bottom side of the table top with the support bracing poles in place.
Notice the hole in the upper right of the picture on the pole.
This hole snaps into the top of the leg system to prevent the table top from shifting back and forth.

Picture four below shows the leg system.
It is not to stable until you put the table top onto it.

Picture five below shows the end result.
The legs extend around 6" give or take allowing you to either raise it up higher if needed, or to level it out on uneven ground.

I would say you could set this up in a matter of a few minutes with practice.
There are no instructions included, so it took me a few extra moments to conclude what the holes in the support braces were for, as I had not noticed the nubs on top of the leg support system until I was ready to set the table on top.

I will be using this table mostly for camping at "unimproved sites" that are not in a normal campground.
Places such as Greenwater where I go 4wheeling and also have camped there since the mid 80s is a prime example.
Tons of beautiful spots up there by creeks and rivers to camp in, just no picnic tables to set your gear on.

I will still dine with the Cabela's picnic table, but this rolltop table would be used to hold my five gallon water bottle and other stuff.

It seems to be very stable though, and I picked it up and carried it off to the spare bedroom with no problems of it wanting to fall apart.
I think this is going to work out very well for me for self contained camping.

If I get time, I will try and setup my Cabelas' shower tent this weekend and shoot some pictures of it.

This coming Tuesday my Kelty Shadehouse 12 will arrive.
Not sure when I will get a chance to set it up.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Kelty Shadehouse 12

Another non field test.

I have had a picnic table shelter for years that I bought back around '82 or so.
It consists of a large green tarp with five holes in it via grommets.
You use a pole at each end, and a center pole to go on top of the picnic table.

Each pole then must have two guylines on it and staked out at each corner.
Needless to say, it was a royal PITA to setup.
I did it myself for years, then the kids helped me when they were older.

I did not want to use it again after getting back into camping this season, as it takes maybe thirty minutes or so for one person to setup.

Hence my quest to find an easier shelter to setup, and I saw this one online on the Cabela's site.

Kelty Shadehouse 12

This item comes in two sizes.
Shadehouse 10
center height 80"
floor size 10-ft. x 10-ft.
Weight 8 lbs. 3 oz.

Shadehouse 12
center height 85"
floor size 12-ft. x 12-ft.
weight 8 lbs. 14 oz.

I went with the bigger model, the 12' one for additional space.
It comes packed in a nice nylon bag that is not much bigger than some backpacking tents.
This will store very nicely in my rig right behind my drivers seat on top of the Hi-Lift Handle-All unit I have stored there.

Here are some pictures I took today on setting it up.

Here is the bag after you take it out of the shipping box the way Cabela's ships it out.

Contents of bag:
Inner nylon bag for the two aluminum DAC poles.
A word on the poles, DAC poles are much stronger and lighter than fiberglass poles.
This is the first product I have own that uses these type of poles, and I like them much better over the fiberglass style.

The shelter itself.

Small nylon bag for the tent stakes and the tie down guylines.

Instruction sheet (which I scanned in)

A few pictures showing it setup.
Setup was very easy.
1. Unfold the poles, they are all shock corded, and after assembling one, I laid it on the ground and repeated for the other pole.

2. Spread open the shelter, and start inserting a pole in.
After it is all the way through, use the end pins and lock the poles in in that way so the pole will not move, and also use the plastic clips at each end (one clip per end) to secure the end of the fabric to the pole.

3. Repeat with the other pole.
Inserting the second pole takes a little more time, as the structure starts to raise up in the air, and you have to fight a little resistance in getting the second pole all the way to the end of its sleeve.

4. Once the second pole is all locked in, you can then go to the center of the structure and raise it up manually.
Once positioned, it will stay that way.
After it is where you want it, then you can stake down the four corners and also use the included guylines to keep it stable in the wind.

My neighbors Jeep could probably drive right in underneath the unit and fit.
I am about 5'10", and there was about 6" or so to spare above my head when walking underneath of it.
This should cover the average picnic table encountered in most campgrounds, which is the main reason I bought this for.

Here are the instructions from Kelty that I scanned in.

I would say it took me about 10 minutes or so this first time in setting it up.
I am sure it will go much faster the second time, it normally does once you acquaint yourself with setting it up prior to a trip.

Yeah, I know, I still have to setup the Cabela's shower enclosure too.
Maybe this week...
Old 09-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for writing these up. I will be outfitting our camping expeditions soon and these are neat finds. I have a wife and 3 boys and we will likely be buying a large multi room tent. Thanks Again!

Kris
Old 09-15-2008, 05:38 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

You are welcome Kris.

A guy on another forum thought that I had bought this for shade, and he thought it was to big for campgrounds.

All the places I have camped at including spots just off of forest service roads, this should fit just fine.

But I did not buy it for shade, it is to keep the picnic table, kitchen/stove setup, and other gear dry in case it rains.
Here in WA. state even when the forecasters say sunny and clear, we take it with a grain of salt.
More than likely it will rain.

Good luck on your search for a nice big tent.
With tents, you get what you pay for.
I have read many a horror story where people have tired to save money when it comes to buying a tent, and they end up with something that has a river running through it in the first rain storm.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

An update to the battery powered pump for a 5 gallon water cooler bottle.
As seen above in the review and the same picture below, you can see that the pump is not secured to the bottle in the first picture.
It never did tighten, and I found out why earlier in the week.

We have a water delivery guy at work and I was talking to him about it, and he asked me if my bottle had the screw on cap for when you want to secure the contents when transporting it.
I said it did, and he said the bottles they use with his company use a press on cap, not a screw on cap.

I asked where I might obtain a water bottle like he has on his truck, and he smiled and he gave me one

Took it home and sure enough, the battery water pump works perfect with it.
You insert it all the way on the bottle, then tighten up the collar that presses onto the bottle.

Now I will have no more loose water pump going back and forth om me.
You can see in the first picture how the pump is at an angle because it is not secured to the bottle.
Although it worked perfectly well that way, it is nice to now have the pump secure and not move around.

Guess I will have to see if I have another big ARB sticker handy to put on the new bottle, or I will just drop by ARB after work and pick up some more stickers

Old bottle with the pump leaning to the side.

New bottle with the pump secured, and the old bottle next to it on the right showing the threads on the neck.
This is not the type of bottle that works with the pump.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Best American Duffel bag #4

Best American Duffel
Best American Duffel bag #4

First off let me say if you do not have a subscription to Overland Journal, you should if you are into exploring the great outdoors.
The OJ is written by a staff that camps, overlands, and goes on expeditions, so they test a wide variety of gear.
The 2009 Gear issue came out a short time back, and I saw an article in it by executive editor Jonathan Hanson.
The article was on duffel bags.
There were quite a few tested, but one I really liked was made by BadBags, or Best American Duffel.
Turns out they are made in American in Seattle, WA. a short distance from me.
Jonathan Hanson mentioned in Overland Journal that owner Malcolm Vetterlein would more than likely answer the phone if you call, and sure enough he did.
By telling him what duffel I currently owned and how long I might stay out, he recommended the #4 duffel.

I ordered up the #4 size which is 25”x16”x13”, and equates out to 4200 cu in.
A little smaller than a Cabelas Ripcord duffel I bought last year, but this one is way more durable.

It has a carry strap on the side, two full zip external pockets on each side, two internal zipped pockets that float away free from the bag inside, and a horseshoe shaped zipper on top to load/unload your contents.
It also has two compression straps that use the Fastex buckles, and you can cinch the bag tight to make it smaller after you stuff it.

While this is a little smaller than my Ripcord duffel, it is still plenty big, big enough for this packrat to take along a weeks worth of clothing and other gear such as flashlights, bathroom kit, and much more as you will see in the pictures below of all the stuff unloaded.

As you can see the duffel can hold a lot of clothing for an extended stay somewhere.
Mine will be used exclusively for camping/overlanding.
Long long ago I use to use the soft sided suitcases to take car/tent trailer camping, but then I found a duffel that is around fifty years old or so that was my parents.
I used that a lot when my kids were growing up on camping trips, but it is a little too small to hold a good weeks worth of clothing and gear.
This new BadBags #4 duffel will fit the need quite nicely.

Here is a picture from Best American Duffels website.

Here are a few pictures of my bag loaded and and the last one showing all what was stuffed into it.
The socks were put into one of the internal zipped side bags, and the undies where put into the other internal pocket.

I did not have to use the compression straps in the second picture, but I did just to show how they work.
There was still plenty of room left over for more clothing inside.
I did not even use one of the external pockets, so there was plenty of room left for more gear.

Here is what I stuffed into the bag minus my undies which I put back into my drawer

Top row left to right
six pairs of socks
nylon pullover
Boeing sweatshirt
five shirts
extra pair of shoes (they include a stuff sack for shoes or whatever you want to place in it)

Bottom row left to right
Jansport toiletries case
hooded FJ Cruiser pullover
two pairs of pants

Rest of the items in the bottom row were in an outside pocket
eyeglass case
Black Diamond LED headlamp
Gerber Covert FAST tactical knife (to defend against killer chipmunks)
Gerber mulititool (Recoil model, discontinued, best one they ever made IMO)
earplugs
Garmin GPS

What I forgot to pack for this test was a few pairs of shorts.
But there was still plenty of room left over inside to pack them in on top of the pants below the shoes or the toiletries case.

The bag is very high quality and also comes with a shoulder strap to carry the bag that way.
I am looking forward to many years of service from this duffel, and I can not wait to test it out on my next camping trip.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:09 AM

I've been looking for a hand-pump for one of the five gallon bottles, now I may have to go with the battery operated version instead. What size batteries does it take and how long do they last?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:39 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

They take D cells I think.
I would think they would last a real long time.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Maggiolina bone dry inside after a very wet winter

I am happy to report the Maggiolina AirLand roof top tent was perfectly bone dry when I opened it up awhile ago to take out the down comforter and shake it out, and to wash the flannel sheets.
Today was the first time it has been opened up since last August.

We had a lot of snow, ice, and rain since winter, and I mean a lot.
With all of that up there it drips over the shell halves where the gaskets are in place, but not one drop got inside.
I was more concerned with winds driving rain up in there while on the freeway, but the gasket/seal did their thing with perfection.

The only thing I had were some small spiders living on the stainless steel ridge where the canvas connects to the lower half.
That was to be expected as there is slight room for them to crawl there.
But they were not up on the bedding at all.

I will be installing a 12v heating bunk pad later this morning, but I am not sure if I have enough cord or not to make it to the 12v outlets in the rear of my rig.
That will come in useful for some future winter camping or summer camping if the temps drop incredibly low.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

New season, just got back from my 2009 vacation.
I will get trip pictures up later, to tired now to work on them right now.

Xpress Lounger Arm Chair

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* This chair takes up about as much room as a laptop case.
* Chair expands to almost the size of a regular folding camp chair.
* Comfortable, can stretch your legs out, slump down, and still catch some zzzz's.

Cons:
* The top strap you carry it with only snaps to one side of the chair, thus making the handle bunch up.
I hear the next gen will have snaps on both sides, thus fixing this.

Engel Wireless Thermometer

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* Mount the receiver anywhere you like, as well as it is within the specified 80' range.
* Can read temps in both Fahrenheit and Celsius.
Besides reading the fridge/freezer temperature, it also displays the temperature where you place the receiver.

Cons:
* Can not think of any.

I really like this gizmo, as when camping in hot weather like I just got back from, I may not check the fridge all the time, and this being outside can alert me to rising temps.

PowerFilm F15-3600 60 watt Solar Panel
Please see my installation article too.

I give it two thumbs up, this is a great way to keep your battery or batteries fully charged without having to fire up your rig when base camping.

Pros:
* Keeps the battery/batteries charged when you have a load on them.
* Stop worrying that you may not have enough juice to start your rig after several days of running a fridge/freezer and other items.

Cons:
* You need sun for it to work.
* Can work with it partially cloudy out, but full power will be utilized when the sun can hit the panel.
* Expensive still at this time.
Accessories such as cables and charge controllers are competitively priced, but the panels themselves are a high dollar item.

Adventure Trailers solar page
PowerFilm Solar
F15-3600 60 watt model, also comes with female 12v (cigarette lighter) adapter that plugs into the solar panel, and you plug your 12v devices to it to charge them
Brunton Solar Controller 12-Volt Battery Charge Monitor
Bought Brunton Solar Controller at Amazon

You can see the voltage dipped down to 16.66 v in one of the pictures, that was in partial sunlight.
Still pretty good, but direct sunlight shoots it up to 18+ volts.
The solar panel kept my batteries charged during my recent trip in hot weather.

Cabela's Chaise Loungers - Black (other colors available)

I give it two thumbs up, very comfortable.

Pros:
* Huge chair, can get very comfortable in it.
* You can sleep in it, as it lays back almost flat.
* Chair locks into any position you pick.

Cons:
* Big chair, even when folded and using the available case for it.
Takes up a lot of room in my rig.
So much in fact I was not able to use my rear window at all, I drove only with my two side mirrors.
If you have an RV or Adventure type trailer to store it, it will not take up valuable room in your rig.

Gerber F.A.S.T. Covert Knife (full size and small)

I give it two thumbs up, very nice knife, and badass looking

Pros:
* Opens with a flick of your thumb placed on the thumb stud, or by grasping both sides with your thumb and two fingers, and flipping it down.
* Both regular blade and serrated edge.
* Sharp from the factory.
* Positive reviews too at Cabelas.

Cons:
* Can not think of any, I like it.

Gerber LMF II Knife

I give it two thumbs up, very nice military knife

Pros:
* Big knife, well balanced.
* Both regular blade and serrated edge.
* Handle end can be used to break a vehicles window if needed.
* You can also use the end to drive in tent stakes or use as a hammer.

Cons:
* Can not think of any, another well made knife from Gerber.

Bad Bags Duffels

I give it two thumbs up, the model Duffel #4 SP I bought holds more than a weeks worth of clothing and gear

Pros:
* Huge, nice zippers, carry strap for shoulder, regular strap handle, compression straps to make duffel smaller.
* Very heavy duty bag, this one replaces a Cabelas bag I bought last year.
The Cabelas one is good, but this one is top of the line in my book, read about it in Overland Journal.
* Should last a very long time.
* Owner is local to me should I need a replacement for any reason, or to order more in different sizes.

Cons:
* Can not think of any, I like it.

Link to the model #4 SP I bought

Food Saver vacuum sealer

I give it two thumbs up, I bought model V3835 which is not listed, as it was built to be distributed via Fred Meyer retail stores
It is the same as model # V3840 listed at the time of this review on Food Savers homepage.

Pros:
* Makes food preparation before a trip easy.
* Less preparation of food while in camp.
* Food last longer thus staying fresh longer while camped.
* Can also seal up non food items such as clothing, batteries, and more.

Cons:
* Sometimes wet food may require more than one seal from liquid getting pulled up to the seal line interfering with the heat/seal process.

Some of the food I took on my trip sealed.

Surefire Nitrolon LED Flashlight

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* 80 lumens in a compact light is pretty bright.
* Puts out more light than a four D cell Maglite I have that I converted over to LED.
* Push button on the On/Off rotating base cap lets you signal with the light or just turn it on momentarily without having to turn the base On/Off..

Cons:
* Uses two 3-volt lithium batteries instead of readily available AA batteries.

Very bright light, I had fun shining it in the pitch dark up at tall trees in the spot I camped at.
Picture below on my down comforter in my roof top tent.

Outback Porta-Privy

I give it two thumbs up
I like this one much better than the one that came with my PETT toilet system.
It sets up much easier, and it a little bigger inside, and also has a removable floor.

Pros:
* Takes up very little space in a rig.
* Sets up like those tents you throw up in the air, sort of.
It is spring loaded, and once expanded, you only have to open it by hand.
* Comes with a removable floor held in with Velcro.
* Sky light opening in the roof.
If you are tall, you can stick your noggin' out the top to keep an eye on your campsite while showering.
If you hear banjo music, grab your rifle or run.
* Towel holder on the outside.

Cons:
* Break down can be a little confusing, I would suggest practicing at home first until you have it down good.
insert pics here
* The two way zipper on one side kept coming open as you would zip it down for privacy.
I think this was due to the tautness of having it staked at four corners, I do not know.

It came in handy also for showering with my Zodi Extreme Series Water Heater/Shower.
I retrofitted a a kitchen faucet sprayer on it several month back, and it makes showering a lot easier with it since you do not have to keep turning off the tank to stop the flow.
Just release the sprayer button to save on water when soaping up.

[YOUTUBE]XzI-sXNrIFA[/YOUTUBE]

Kelty Shadehouse 12 (This links to a newer version than the one I bought last year)

I took it along, but I did not set it up.
The site I choose was not really big enough to open it up, and the weather was in the 80s with zero rain.

Cabela's Deluxe Roll-Top Tables (Mine is the bigger one)

Another item I took but did not set it up.
To be honest with you, I may not have a need for it.
The Cabelas folding picnic table holds a lot, I simply did not see the need to set it up, even with my brother camping with me.
I will leave this at home on single trips, and perhaps only bring it along if there is going to be a lot of us that could utilize the storage space it can provide.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:44 PM

Corey
Can i borrow your Cabela's credit card? haha
Man you gear looks killer and the write ups are great!
I have the camping lab roof top tent and awning they are the best things for camping i have ever got . Even better when you look over at your buddy and he is sleeping in the back of his Runner.
But how do you pack all of this stuff into your rig?? And do you pack in your own fire wood? If so where does it fit?

My runner gets cramped but i have to leave a spot for the dog to lay and a couple of surfboards on top of everything.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Scott, the reviews are fun, and I will have more this season after my first time out.

It takes a mighty big shoehorn to cram all the stuff in there.
Actually this season I am getting new containers that stack better to consolidate my gear in, and take less than I have in the past, as in stuff that might not get used.

Yes, it is a cool feeling being up off the ground out of the dirt/mud when camping, good advantage to roof top tents.

The new spring issue of Overland Journal coming out soon does a test on around seven awnings, and the Campinglab is one of them.
Great bang for the buck the Campinglab awning is.

Firewood, when I was at Rainier in 2008, a truck drives around selling nice dry wood.
Last year I had a small bundle with me.
Hence why I need to consolidate my gear down for a bit more room for wood.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

New items I picked up for the 2010 camping season.

Byer TriLite Wash Station From REI
Byer TriLite Wash Station From Campmor

I wanted to try out a new product that I saw in a thread on Expedition Portal or IH8MUD's camping sub forum.
I am always game for trying out new gear to see if it will make my life easier when out camping.

I have always used a wash basin tub and traditional dish drying rack for taking care of the after meal dish washing chore.
This new item is a standalone gizmo that has pockets in it for washing, rinsing, and drying your dishes.
It folds to a compact size too to store in your gear box or wherever your store your stuff.

I just got back from a trip at the White River campground at Mt. Rainier, and quite a few campers up there liked it compared to lugging the usual wash basins and drying rack.

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* One piece of gear instead of a separate wash basin and drying rack.
* Compact size when folded down, takes up a lot less space than using the above.

Cons:
* The legs could be longer in my opinion, as they are kind of short if setting this on the ground.
Stooping over at my age is not good.
Did I just say I am getting old???

Camp Chef Denali 3 Burner Grill & Stove Combo

I like it much better than my old propane stove I have had for years.
The burners on this get a lot hotter, a plus when I was wanting to have coffee on this trip.

The grille in the middle is genius, no need for a fry pan or a separate grille/griddle.
It made cooking breakfast and dinner meats much easier with the grille in the middle while you cooked other stuff in pots on the other burners.

I am having an issue with the far right burner not lighting up all the way in a circular pattern, but it is fixed by turning it off and relighting it again with the built in piezo starter.
Will have to keep an eye on this to see if it is an issue over time.

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* The two outside burners can crank out some serous BTUs.
* Having a grille in the middle is one less item I have to carry.

Cons:
* Having an issue with the far right burner as stated above.

BajaRacks MG Edition
Ordered and bought via Mike at Autohome

Last year on fjcruiserforums site in a thread on racks for the FJs I had asked Sergio at BajaRacks if they could design a rack for the FJ Cruiser to specifically work for the AutoHome Maggiolina style roof top tents.
I had my roof top tent on the stock rack from March of 2008 until April of 2010, and to be honest with you, it was way to high.
It affected the way the rig handled in a high wind on the freeway commuting.
Since my rig is a daily driver also I needed to have the tent lowered.

The new rack lowered the tent I would say by 7", much better handling now.
Still get shaken around a bit with a very high wind at 55+ MPH, but not like before.

The rack is not listed in BajaRacks site yet, so you would have to call them or Mike at AutoHome to get setup with one.
I am sure this model can also be made for other vehicles too such as the 4Runner and other brands of vehicles that BajaRacks already makes them for.

It is a good flat design and fits the tent perfectly, and sure gets a lot of attention from those who are in the know as to what its main purpose is for.

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* Much lower to the roof now than the stock rack and Yakima crossbar setup I used for two years.
* Better handling in windy conditions and a slight increase in gas mileage.
* The price, other rack companies can not even come close to the price on this.
* Powder coating it top notch, and the airdam in front of the rack looks pretty cool.

Cons:
* There are none at this time.

Lodge Cast Iron Cookware
8" skillet
8" 2 qt Dutch Oven
Lodge Logic Pro Grid/Iron Griddle
Lodge Camp 8-Inch Dutch Oven Tote Bag

I was reading on Expedition Portals forum about cooking with cast iron.
I had a really cheap set from Fingerhut my X wife bought back in the 80s, and that soured me on cooking with cast iron.
I decided to try cast iron again, so I went with perhaps the best out there Lodge.
Lodge now has a complete line of pre-seasoned cookware, so you no longer have to bake them in the oven and season them yourself before the first use.
I first bought a grill/griddle combo that is around 20"x10", and I tried it at home on my new Camp Chef Denali stove cooking pancakes.
No sticking, and they turned out great.

Later I bought a 10" skillet and a 10" Dutch Oven for home use, and they worked great as well.
I ended up buying an 8" skillet and an 8" Dutch Oven for camping, as the 10" ones for the home are a little to big for the camp stove.
Even though these com pre-seasoned, it is recommended to put some kind of oil on them.
I spray some of that canned vegetable oil onto a paper towel and wipe it all over the pans inner surface.
It is a good idea to do this too after cleaning them each time.
To clean them, I use a soft brush with hot water only, then paper towel dry, then re-oil.
Do not use soap on cast iron, it is said to take off any of the seasoning that is from the factory or that you have put on.

Cooked two jumbo fried eggs in the 8" skillet on my camping trip I just returned from, and it is pretty cool to just tilt the pan and let the eggs slide out onto you plate with no sticking.
Cleanup was a cinch with a wipe from a paper towel.

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* Virtually non stick if you keep them seasoned correctly.
* Food seems to taste better in them.
* Will last a very long time, and not wear out like non stick cookware does.
Plus the cast iron surface is better for you than the non stick cooking surfaces are made from.

Cons:
* Heavy, very heavy compared to other cookware.
* Must take good care of them and wipe them out or wash with water only to not take off the seasoned coating you are trying to build up.

Did not get a picture of them in use camping this time.

Cabela's Alaskan Outfitter™ All-Weather Lighter

I have had my eye on this lighter for a few years now, and finally ordered one.
To be honest with you, I do not like the disposable lighters.
I like being able to refill this when it is empty, one less thing to go into our landfills.
Plus it will not break as easily as the disposable ones either.
I got this mainly for starting the campfire, the Zodi Hotman Extreme shower, ect.
My lantern and stove have the piezo starters on them, no need to light them.

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* Nice compact lighter with an adjustable flame.
* No need to throw this away when empty since it is refillable.
That was the whole idea behind buying this.

Cons:
* Can not think of any, the lighter does what it was designed to do.
I have read they have trouble above 8,000', but where I go camping, I am rarely over 5,000'.

GCI Outdoors Top-Shelf Camp Table

I had bought the GSI Xpress Lounger chair last year from Sierra last season, and I saw that Wil was now carrying a matching table for the chair.
I decided to order one for the 2010 camping season to try out.
Like the chair, it takes up little space in my rig.

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* Compact, very easy to stuff away in an already over stuff rig.
* Nice little table that is the right height for the GSI Xpress Lounger chair I bought from Wil at Sierra Expeditions last year.

Cons:
* Can not think of any, it is a very nice compact unit.

Shown with other stuff to give you an idea how small the case for the table is.

ECS Composites Cases
Loadmaster Military Footlocker Cases

I have used the Rubbermaid Action Packer cases for the past two years to hold my camping gear in the rig.
While they are low in price, they are very slippery if you need to double stack them, and they are not waterproof if you leave your cases outside after your campsite is setup like I do.

I saw an ad for Zarges aluminum cases in every issue of Overland Journal and that got me interested in getting new ones.
I also checked into Pelican and the Storm cases that are made by them and of a little higher quality, but I was not satisfied with any size for my needs.
Zarges did not even have the size that would work best in my rig.
As nice as the Zarges cases look, they will dent easily, and the one thing that really turned me off was the high price tag (as if these ECS ones were cheap ) and the fact that there is about a ten week turnaround once you place your order.

In a thread of mine I started on Expedition Portals forum a guy mentioned the ECS cases to me and right away I liked what I saw.
They stack like Legos!
Any size case will be able to stack with another.

I looked at the cases and had one picked out, then that size was discontinued.
Then I took a look at the military footlockers they make, and two of them would be a perfect fit stacked on top of each other to the right of my ARB fridge/freezer.
Two of these footlockers are about the equivalent of four of the 8 gallon Action Packers I had been using.
Some of the long gear that I had to lay (OK, I pile it if you have seen all the gear I take, I am working on that...) in the rig loose will now fit into the footlockers.
Also each footlocker has two removable trays that sit on top that can hold smaller items to keep them organized.

They worked out great for my trip I just took.
Also the big Cabelas lounger chair I bought last year was strapped to the cases with ratchet straps, made the chair very secure running the straps through the indentations for the cases to stack.

I give them two thumbs up

Pros:
* Cases are totally water/weather proof.
* Cases have a purge valve to equalize the pressure should you need to.
* Very tough material, looks like it will last a very long time.
* Military tough, this company sells a lot of the cases they make to the military and government.
* Made in the USA in Oregon.

Cons:
* $$$ as in expensive.
But you get what you pay for, and I have a feeling I will be passing these along to my son's when I am much older.

Here is a YouTube video from their site.
They have quite a few videos at their site in a pull down menu if you are interested in looking at more of their products.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkmZb...layer_embedded

Another video showing some features of their cases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwJJ9...layer_embedded

By the way, I lined the trays that sit at the top of the footlockers with Griots Deluxe Drawer Liner.
I use this is all of my toolboxes at home, my cargobox in the FJ Cruiser, and also in the top glovebox on the dash in the Cruiser.
It keeps anything from sliding around.
Same type of stuff that boaters/RVer's use on their dashes to keep a cup or glass from sliding around.
I highly recommend this stuff for use in any drawers where you want your gear to not slide around.
I even have a piece cut to go under the Camp Chef Denali stove to keep it from sliding.

TRIDENT RUBBER
LP Gas Fiberglass Tank

Also sold under the Ragasco name

I have been wanting a 10 lb tank to replace my very old 5 lb tank I have had for years.
They simply drain to fast.
I saw a thread on IH8MUD's and Expedition Portals forum by a woman that goes by Ash there.
She had just purchased the 11 lb tank from West Marine and liked it, so I called them up and bought one.
I paid for two day shipping and was surprised to get it the very next day.
Talk about service!

The two main advantages to a fiberglass tank is they are much lighter than a steel one of the same size, and you can see how much fuel you have in there.
No more guess work or running out since you can physically see how much is left in the bottle.

I give it two thumbs up

Pros:
* Light weight compared to a steel one of the same size.
* Since it made of fiberglass, you can see how much propane is left in the tank.
* Less chance of running out since you know how much fuel is left.

Cons:
* More expensive than their steel counterparts.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:31 PM

Buddy...you have A LOT of very nice kit there. You look like a very organized person and going camping with you must be a 'hoot'. I really like those new military foot lockers. Excellent thread!
Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Michael, been building up new gear over the past few years along with using older gear I have had for eons.

The foot lockers worked out very good for me.

Quick Reply: Camping Gear Reviews, A Ton