Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Best Mosquito Trap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best Mosquito Trap?

The dang skeeters are getting attrocious now so I need to do something about it soon.
So which traps are you guys using and what is the most effective?
Old 06-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
traps? tiki torches well its not a trap but seems to work.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

i think these are the best.....my father has one here in SC and he lives right on a big man made pond....with out it you cant even sit outside in the summer, i'm talking even in the blazing heat they will still bite and right through your clothes...its crazy...

with it on you can sit outside at night with no clothes on (if for some reason you had a need to do that) and not get a single bite...
Old 06-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.mosquitomagnetdepot.com/?source=overture oops...i forgot the link...hehe sorry
Old 06-02-2005, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

I bought a Coleman Mosquito Deleto last year. It runs constantly on porpane and has a sticky trap inside, blaa blaa blaa

I am not convionced it traps them. I haven't really seen a lot on the trap. I t emits some smell that is supposed to repel them, but...

I am little skeptical, but I will use it this season and see how it works...
Old 06-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

our family uses THIS at our coast house beginning in spring through fall...

we turn it on the second we get there and whithin a few hours a HUGE portion of the mosquitos are gone.. the rest can be taken care of by the 3 tiki torches we keep in the backyard...

the backyard is on a marshy swamp of stagnant 2"-5" water with lots of folige for nesting.. without this thing our backyard would be unbareable...
Old 06-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CynicX
http://www.mosquitomagnetdepot.com/?source=overture oops...i forgot the link...hehe sorry
I am ordering this thing!
Old 06-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a half-dozen Swallow-specific birdhouses made. The Audubon guy said they had to be a certain size and shape, the hole must be just so, etc. So far, nada. I might have screwed up by coating them all with spar urethane on the outside and they don't like it? There are still Swallows around in the forest, not as many around the house as I'd hoped. They're supposed to eat their weight in mosquitos daily, or so the yarn goes...

Old 06-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

We also have one of the propane powered types, got it at Sam's a few years back. It never has a ton in the little bin they are supposed to end up in, but I can tell the difference when it's runnning. Maybe they get burned up when they pass by the little flame?
Old 06-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 96LtdYota
our family uses THIS at our coast house beginning in spring through fall...

we turn it on the second we get there and whithin a few hours a HUGE portion of the mosquitos are gone.. the rest can be taken care of by the 3 tiki torches we keep in the backyard...

the backyard is on a marshy swamp of stagnant 2"-5" water with lots of folige for nesting.. without this thing our backyard would be unbareable...
That sounds alot like my backyard.....we have a forest right up against the back of the yard and our property seems to catch water from my neighbors properties since ours appears to be lower than the rest. I was told not to use a mosquito trap because it would draw them from farther away but that seemed to be flawed logic so I wanted to give it a try and see if the situation improves.

From the tests, it seems like this unit was the best but it is quite expensive and I doubt I could even find one up here in Canada (we have mosquito magnet and skeetervacs for the most part).

There were quite a few tests:
http://www.megacatch.com/testresults.html

Looks like the mosquito magnet Liberty was a good second choice:
http://www.megacatch.com/testresults_JPSmith_ultra.html

I wonder if you could build your own even cheaper since the best ones don't use propane, they use commercial CO2 cylinders which can be filled very cheaply and produce more CO2......just a thought.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Well I finally got the SkeeterVac SV-35 which supposedly does 1.2 Acres.
I'll post back once I have tried it for a week or two.

Seems to have pretty decent reviews:
http://www.epinions.com/Patio_Furnit...nion_list#list

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 06-05-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CynicX

There is the commercial version where I work, and the net bag fills up in like 3 days.

Be careful when taking the bag out, since some of them blood suckers are still alive.
Maybe run it under hot water or a shot of bug spray.

You must replace the little scent packs too, works waaaay better.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:43 AM

For the mosquitos around here the best thing I have found is a Thermacell. They are about $20 at walmart, and they work! Just turn it on and wait five minutes for it to warm up and they wont bother you.

http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/
Old 04-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We've got lots of bats over here, lots of spiders, and a bug zapper, and tiki torches, and even with all these things, sometimes bug spray isn't enough. I can't imagine the mosquitos without all of these. But lucky for me, it's a dry year this year, so there isn't a whole lot of em, and the frost last weekend killed most of them too. We also have these damn "Lake Bugs" anyone who's ever been to Lake County, CA in the spring/summer knows what I'm talking about. They're little gnats, but there's like a billion kazillion of em. They don't bite, but they don't taste too good either.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

The best thing to do with those traps is put them at the neighbors house a few houses away. Before they kill the skeeters, they have to attact them, you are more likely to get bit when you have a high concentration of them in your yard.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:00 PM

This IS the best mosquito Trap - rugged enough to take anywhere

I've spent years in the bush working for the Australian Army mapping corps and oil exploration companies, and have been bitten by some of the world's worst bloodsuckers. So I am truly amazed by the world's best mosquito trap invented by of all persons - my brother Andrew Coventry. Its called the mosquito-slayer and it bloody works mate! It can use carbon dioxide but the base electric 12 volt model is the one I take with me when I go out bush. Its the first thing I set up when I make camp. My day job is talking to people from around the world who are suffering from mosquito (and no-seeums, blackfly problems etc) issues. Bantix.com.au is our main site, and we now send these traps out to over 70 countries. Yes you can get them in the USA too. The best thing about the traps is you can use them at home and they only kill the female mosquitoes etc. so after a while, you don't even see a mossie. Makes even staying at home enjoyable. The picture shows a single night's catch - hundreds of female mosquitoes. You can see how at this rate the mossie population around you can be all-but wiped out. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Best Mosquito Trap?-singlenightcatch.jpg  
Old 03-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Pretty impressive.
I will have to check out the site.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

I have you all beat.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:01 PM

Best Mosquito Trap

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
The dang skeeters are getting attrocious now so I need to do something about it soon.
So which traps are you guys using and what is the most effective?
I just purchased a ComboTrap on e-bay and it works GREAT! Under $100 and no propane to use!!!! Cought tons of mosquitoes and other annoying flying bugs... Check it out!!! The guy also sells the Octenol Lures and lots of other mosquito trap related products!