Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

1987 22RTE to 5.3L LM7 ("iron block ls1") Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrArmyAnt
Nick when you get a chance whats the model of that fan? The one I found that was 2in from spall only moves 1000 CFM. Also what MPG are you getting?
Actually mine is the 2.5 inch fan from SPAL that pulls 1600 CFM. I was mistaken. But I'm currently looking for a better fan setup because I get warm when I'm snow wheeling. With the 38's and driving it hard I get like 11 MPG. Not very good haha
Old 03-21-2013, 07:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You ok MrArmyAnt?

My tax refund is coming soon and Im doing this swap with a th350, manual valve body, and a 4.8L....

Also decided on a 1-1.5" body lift, IFS differential drop, and later when I have more money, a transfer case for the th350 to regain my 4wd.

May also massage the **** out of the firewall to garuntee that I have enough room for fans and such.

ps - anyone want to buy a set of Sea2Sky tuning cams for the 3vz-e? (weasy2k's cams?) Also have heads custom ported by Engine builder too if anyone is interested. Both have about 35,000 miles on them.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 03-21-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:41 PM

Uh oh....
Old 04-02-2013, 05:29 AM

Why the uh oh?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:25 AM

Because it has been over 4 months without any posts here at ALL for MrArmyAnt....makes me worry.

Kinda like how Weasy2k vanished...
Old 04-20-2013, 11:10 AM

I am still here!!! I moved to Dallas though. I graduated in December, have changed jobs 3 times since then (by choice, thank god). I have moved the truck to our construction shop with a lift and all. I also started a new job, and picked up sailing (to further my abilities in picking up women, sigh), and am still tremodeling my duplex in Oklahoma to sell. This summer things will slow down and shell be back to being a priority project!

And 11MPG??? That's worse than the heavy ass truck it came out of...?!?!

Last edited by MrArmyAnt; 04-20-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:17 AM

Well Im glad to see you are still on here. I have picked up my motor, tranny, and transfercase so now its time to start gathering all the little things. As far as your 11 mpg, do you know if your using all 4 of the O2 sensors or just 2? My buddy's harness only came with provisions for the front 2 sensors and his computer was tuned for all 4. He got pretty crappy gas milage until he got the rear O2's bleeped out of the computer.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:19 AM

Can you send any updated pictures if you manage to get over to your constuction shop? I have not pulled my 3vze yet but in measurements I am interested in how close your alternator is to the gear box and how far back you were able to push the engine before it hit the lump on the firewall on the passenger side.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 AM

The alternator is very close, I had to get a camaro alternator to replace my high amp truck alternator. and I massaged the firewall a tiny bit. I just fits. Next time there I will take photos.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:51 AM

Updates?

Life has been kicking my arse all over the place, so my swap is still on hold. (Happens when you have three kids under 4 and am a new divorcee...) But there is a great deal of light at the end of the tunnel thank God!!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 AM

Building an L33 runner myself, eventually anyways. I have the engine, hope to get started in the spring.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:29 PM

No updates. Busy trying to sell my house in Oklahoma while living in Dallas, finish up my CNC plasma table, work, and live somewhere in there. Sold my Porsche though so this might get more attention.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Updates?

Life has been kicking my arse all over the place, so my swap is still on hold. (Happens when you have three kids under 4 and am a new divorcee...) But there is a great deal of light at the end of the tunnel thank God!!
˟˟˟˟ man sorry to hear that! I started working on her again yesterday, ordered a bunch of parts. Again. It's a amazing how much you can save by spending more the first time you order something and making sure its the last.

I'm also in my actual shop now with a lift. How'd I ever live without one.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
No updates. Busy trying to sell my house in Oklahoma while living in Dallas, finish up my CNC plasma table, work, and live somewhere in there. Sold my Porsche though so this might get more attention.
I hope all of those circumstances were designed for desired... And if so, I'm anxious to see if you do get on it with a vengeance. Lol. I can't tell you how many people I told about this, and my brother who has a 99 ls1 Camaro Convertible... I know he's been stopping in and watching. Yes me the other day, what happened to this guy? I told him, hey bro, he's an army ant! He's very busy! Haha
Old 09-17-2013, 01:25 PM

Haha yeah its been hectic. Not all done by design, but not really by misfortune either.

I have taken a step back and looked at the project again and realized a lot of my frustrations were just stupid. I'll be selling my turbo digital cluster, desided to use a digital gauge that reads OBDII info (and sense I'm doing DBW, that's pretty much everything). Costs 70 bucks and reads every engine and ECM item, including speed. Spending the proper money on a custom radiator, ordered the sensors... so on and so forth. Hopefully in a few weeks she'll start.

Amazon also carries a lot more now. The nice thing about them is free return shipping. Seeing as how it's all frankenstiened together I ordered several sets of headers to see what fits better I still need to find a right angle to fit in the steering box return line to clear the alternator or go without PS, which sounds odd, but the steering isn't all that bad compared to my Cayman, or the Deuce and a Half that was my last project. Seasons are changing so I think I bought myself some time on figuring out the AC.

A rat died. or bird. something small due to something slightly larger. Bastard. Had to throw out carpet, getting vinyl. Made Aluminum Diamond Plate bedsides for interior, doing same thing for doors and possibly half doors.

Thanks to my lift I was able to check full droop on the rear, the manual drive shaft length works great (I'm super short).

I'll take some photos tomorrow. I almost pulled the motor to put in a 914 and scrap the project the other day... Car gods had someone else buy the thing though and with our hunting property coming into season this makes more sense. Well as much as it can anyway.

http://howeracing.com/ is doing the radiator. Looks like it should be done for 400-500. Seeing as how I have now purchased 3 radiators, none of which work, and I've pretty much destroyed trying to get to work, I would have saved a lot in the beginning had I just done it right the first time. Motor, tranny, and harness are cheap, sensors arent bad, and I'll the same as motor and tranny in an off the shelf header and custom radiator. Never makes much sense. I found some cast headers that looked like they'd work well but hate the weight, so trying some long tubes first.

So the cluster will be diamond plate with this ultimate gauge on the left, a basic fuel gauge in the middle, and GPS on the right. So much for looking stock.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That 914 would have been a lot of fun. I feel your pain on the alternator clearance issue. Mine was the pump wheel and the only answer was to chop one leg off a 90deg. fitting then weld that fitting to the end cap. It works good. Can't wait to see shots of the radiator set up. Keep it coming!
Old 09-22-2013, 07:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A rat died. or bird. something small due to something slightly larger. Bastard. Had to throw out carpet, getting vinyl.
Note to Self: Clean out those crumbs and french fries from under the seats...
Old 10-01-2013, 05:49 PM

I am interested to know what headers you end up going with, perhaps you will save me a lot of time and trouble. I am sorry to hear your having radiator woes. I think I have found one that might work here- http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...tual-tech.html If you scroll down and zoom in he is using a griffin 26241 which I found on summit for $165. The weather is cooling down and I am trying to get any bills paid off so I can start mine.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:37 AM

Thanks man! And looks like I'm using the hooker block huggers. I still need to drill and tap them for o2 after I do some research that they done have to be some sort of minimum distance from a collector. They give an incredible amount of clearance and if I had them machined some would give a ton more.

Went with a custom radiator (sending in credit card today) for a dual pass for 329. Great price.

Originally Posted by Krazy Ken
I am interested to know what headers you end up going with, perhaps you will save me a lot of time and trouble. I am sorry to hear your having radiator woes. I think I have found one that might work here- http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...tual-tech.html If you scroll down and zoom in he is using a griffin 26241 which I found on summit for $165. The weather is cooling down and I am trying to get any bills paid off so I can start mine.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:02 AM

http://www.holley.com/HolleyNews/article.asp?ID=104 Are these the headers your talking about? I was worried they would point straight down and dump directly into the front differential seeing as how I'm keeping the stock IFS. Do you happen to have any pictures of the headers installed? Or any pictures would be great of the progress, I love Toyota eye candy!

Quick Reply: 1987 22RTE to 5.3L LM7 ("iron block ls1") Swap