Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

cummins diesel swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my buddy actually did it in the same year pickup and all. he put the radiator and other stuff in the back of his truck and threw a topper on it.... actually looks sick and ran great. not sure if he still has it. if so i'll get some picks up here for ya...
Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They smoke because they are getting excess fuel or are under high loads.
My cousins f350 smoked like a bitch, then he got a bigger turbo, now it barely smokes cause his injectors arent big enough to make it smoke.
But really, smoke = power, unless you are running nitrous or propane (which will get rid of the smoke)...
Old 09-26-2007, 09:03 AM

There's a guy on ToyotaNation who has an old '81 (I believe) with a swapped Cummins 4 cylinder out of I want to say a bread truck. Anyways, his username is Geius Manical, he goes by "Cam." I believe he is a member of this board as well... Might try getting a hold of him.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
But really, smoke = power,
uhhhh NO.

Smoke=unburned fuel, which means no, it's not optimum and not making the power it should.

That's why when your buddy upgraded his turbo, it threw more air into the motor and made a better air/fuel ratio that wasn't so rich, and stopped smoking.

You're more than welcome to confirm my info, too.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jcfb
There's a guy on ToyotaNation who has an old '81 (I believe) with a swapped Cummins 4 cylinder out of I want to say a bread truck. Anyways, his username is Geius Manical, he goes by "Cam." I believe he is a member of this board as well... Might try getting a hold of him.
yes, that would be a cummins 4bt motor. Still very heavy, very tall, and big.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah smoke - wrong air fuel ratio.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:45 PM

Diesel's run on fuel not air like gas engines do, so there is going to be smoke, i don't care, if you have your manifolds going straight out from the engine with no filter or anything, and are pushing the engine you are seeing all the burnt diesel, its just like Greg said, smoke equals power, its how they are. (unless its filtered, then obviously there will be less to no smoke)
Old 09-26-2007, 07:50 PM

Wierd

Right

Last edited by Taco Time; 07-18-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swansen is Correct that is the reason for the new particle filters on the new cars and truck. with out them they would still smoke. smoke is just the particulates.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
there is a place called proffits cruizers...that does cummins 4bt swaps into fj cruizers...and lots of them....and they rock crawl...tow...and mud with them...a stock 4bt has about 105 hp...and around 270lb ft of torque....but...with a few twists of a few select screws...over 160 hp..and over 400 LB FT OF TORQUE can be made out of these little motors....and they come in long block..and short blocks....turbo charged....and proffits cruizers replaces the transmission and transfercase as well.....not sure on price for all that...but one reason why i am considering it is because of the mileage...with tires larger than about 33's mileage is about 20 to 23....smaller than 33's..mileage jumps up to about 27 to 29...WOW...that much hp with that much mileage.....might just buy a scrap 4bt and do it myself...i will definately do a build up thread if my dad and i decide to do it
Old 09-27-2007, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Swansen
Diesel's run on fuel not air like gas engines do, so there is going to be smoke, i don't care, if you have your manifolds going straight out from the engine with no filter or anything, and are pushing the engine you are seeing all the burnt diesel, its just like Greg said, smoke equals power, its how they are. (unless its filtered, then obviously there will be less to no smoke)
this is garbage. You're essentially saying "diesels don't need air". And you know that's bulls***. EVERY SINGLE COMBUSTION MOTOR RUNS BEST ON A STOICHIOMETRIC AIR/FUEL MIXTURE. Throwing tons of fuel into diesels is bad. It creates high EGT's, excessive smoke, and wasted economy because of all the unburned fuel.

http://www.bankspower.com/Tech_bigdensity.cfm

Adding additional fuel to a diesel engine without adding additional air has two dramatically negative effects. First, by dumping fuel into a diesel without the appropriate amount of air to go along with it, a considerable portion of the fuel does not completely combust. This uncombusted fuel is often seen coming out of a diesel?s tailpipe as black, sooty smoke. It?s wasted fuel. What I like to call, ?horsepower you can see, but can?t use.? All this smoke contaminates the engine?s oil at a much faster rate than normal. Here?s what happens: Modern engine oils typically contain a chemical which gives the oil its extreme pressure capability. You might call this an ?anti-wear agent.? When a massive amount of smoke is present, soot invariably gets past the rings and into the oil, where it binds with the chemical, disabling it. When oil loses its anti-wear agent, internal engine parts wear faster.

Stop arguing with me and educate yourselves. Smoke DOES NOT EQUAL POWER.

Last edited by chimmike; 09-27-2007 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:52 AM

^ I was about to find something from Banks too... those guys know their stuff
Old 09-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CanTheWhales
^ I was about to find something from Banks too... those guys know their stuff
yup

When I get my hands on a diesel truck (i'm thinkin duramax or cummins) I'll go straight to banks for a couple small things
Old 09-27-2007, 06:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chimmike is correct.

The reason diesels produce particulates is because they fuel is not atomized sufficiently. The droplets do not always burn all the way through thus leaving behind soot particles.

Air is the working fluid in all of our ICE's and more of it means more power. Spark ignition engines are limited by detonation. Diesels are not and so the more air you heat up with a given amount of fuel the more power and efficiency you get. Spewing unburned fuel out the tail pipe is not the answer.

A bit of diesel factoid. Older diesels like those in the old benz 300d's had about 3000 psi in their injectors. The newer common rails have upwards of 30,000 psi which does a much better job of atomizing fuel. The Vdubs hardly smoke (and haven't for years) because of this. You have to really lean on them to get them to puff at all. Future diesels are attempting to reach 60,000 psi rail pressures which will atomize the fuel to the point of that which a normal gasoline engine enjoys and will eliminate smoke accordingly.

Frank
Old 09-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

I think some folks may be getting the idea that smoke=power from a few commercials on "Powerblock" and an old episode of Trucks in which Stacy installed one of those 6-gun systems [i think it was] and then took it on the road to test... when he dialed it up to the "maximum power" setting he was able to smoke the tires and get some wild acceleration at the expence of a cloud of BLACK smoke.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by elripster
Chimmike is correct.

The reason diesels produce particulates is because they fuel is not atomized sufficiently. The droplets do not always burn all the way through thus leaving behind soot particles.

Air is the working fluid in all of our ICE's and more of it means more power. Spark ignition engines are limited by detonation. Diesels are not and so the more air you heat up with a given amount of fuel the more power and efficiency you get. Spewing unburned fuel out the tail pipe is not the answer.

A bit of diesel factoid. Older diesels like those in the old benz 300d's had about 3000 psi in their injectors. The newer common rails have upwards of 30,000 psi which does a much better job of atomizing fuel. The Vdubs hardly smoke (and haven't for years) because of this. You have to really lean on them to get them to puff at all. Future diesels are attempting to reach 60,000 psi rail pressures which will atomize the fuel to the point of that which a normal gasoline engine enjoys and will eliminate smoke accordingly.

Frank
yeah my dads 06 Cummins hardly smokes, usually only at abrupt power changes, and never under full throttle... thou the new ones also run much hotter than previous diesels... with a bone stock truck and towing on the interstate 1400* comes too quick to use cruise in the hills....
Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by elripster
Future diesels are attempting to reach 60,000 psi rail pressures which will atomize the fuel to the point of that which a normal gasoline engine enjoys and will eliminate smoke accordingly.

Frank
Um, Diesel engines have way higher compression than gas engines, therefore requiring a lot more injection pressure than gasoline engines.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:15 AM

you know in the new petersons 4x4 they shortend a dodge 3/4 ton frame with the cummins put a 5 speed in it and put the new jeep unlimited wrangler body on it. if you could do something like that then it would be possible
Old 10-13-2007, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Swansen
Um, Diesel engines have way higher compression than gas engines, therefore requiring a lot more injection pressure than gasoline engines.
They have a higher compression ratio because thats what how the fuel ignights, from the heat created from the pressure... however compression ratio is diesels is slowly dropping... I want to say that the cummins is my dads truck is down around 16:1, where his old 6.2 IIRC was at 19:1 or 20:1... So the fuel has to be in a mist to ignite.. white smoke usually means improper combustion from a cold engine, or a dripping injector. The higher the psi on the injector the more the fuel is atomized, thus quicker and better ignition allowing more fuel, thus more hp.. the drawback is higher EGT's, especially on newer trucks with modified cam timing to improve emissions, but it costs power, mpg, and safer EGT's.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
They have a higher compression ratio because thats what how the fuel ignights, from the heat created from the pressure... however compression ratio is diesels is slowly dropping... I want to say that the cummins is my dads truck is down around 16:1, where his old 6.2 IIRC was at 19:1 or 20:1... So the fuel has to be in a mist to ignite.. white smoke usually means improper combustion from a cold engine, or a dripping injector. The higher the psi on the injector the more the fuel is atomized, thus quicker and better ignition allowing more fuel, thus more hp.. the drawback is higher EGT's, especially on newer trucks with modified cam timing to improve emissions, but it costs power, mpg, and safer EGT's.
Yeah the cummins is down about to 16.5:1. They are all dropping compression not only becuase injector pressure have gotten so that it doesn't need the extra compression, but becuase of the increased boost over older trucks. just like a gas engine, a blown diesel with more boost would need a little less compression to deal with the increased boost and keep the EGT's down

Quick Reply: cummins diesel swap?