Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

3vze to 2lt(he)(ii)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze to 2lt(he)(ii)

I'm thinking about swapping my 3vze for a 2lt variant engine in the nearish future.
I've got a 94 hilux/pickup, r150f manual, 4x4 locking hubs, and an extra cab.
I've got a few questions about it first though...
Can a 2lt variant be swapped in without altering the driveline length?
Can a 2lt variant bellhousing be attached to the r150f manual transmission?
Will the 2lt fit on 22re mounts? It would be easier to have 22re mounts put in my truck than to have 2lt munts custom fabbed.
Will 2lt ii heads fit a 2lt i block?
What did the 2lthe have over a 2lt? Was it only ceramic lined cylinder heads and walls?

And lastly, does anyone know where to get one, or what they can go for?
I was hoping to complete the swap in 750-1000 dollars, but I'm not sure if that's feasible.
In the above case, the swap would pay for itself in gas and maintenance in about two years. I was hoping to keep it so that it would pay for itself in about 4 years or less.

Last edited by Shinhoto; 04-20-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I'm just making noise in my echo chamber, but oh well...

I've done some more research, and it seems the 2lt will fit my r150f transmission, although I will likely need a different bellhousing. No word on if the driveline needs to be altered, but probably not if it fits.
It will fit on 22re engine mounts, so I wont have to have any custom fabbed.
The 2lthe has ceramic lined pre cups that are supposed to increase fuel efficiency by a large margin from what little I have read.

I'm wondering if I can slap a 2lthe head on a 2lte block to create a 2lthe, or if there is more to it than that.

I've found only a couple of engine auction/import sites that offer this engine, consistently around the 2,500 dollars range.

Conversely I could build the engine from the ground up, but the cheapest block and head I have found so far are 500 and 200 without shipping, and the only 2lthe head is about 1,800. Yeouch

I'm sure someone will wonder "why in the hell is this fool bothering with a gutless, head blowing, overheating, rat bastard engine like the 2lt". Well, first off, I chose the 2l series because it was the only toyota truck diesel sold in the u.s. or Canada, and has at least a limited availability of parts here. Replacements for a 3l or 1kzte would probably have to be imported.
The head blowing, it seems, can be fixed or mitigated by running waterless coolant, installing a 3l/2ltii/2lthe head, or by using a 2lt II engine to begin with.
Torque is greater than the 22re, but less then the 3vze. Maybe I can get some more performance out of it, probably not. I'm just happy to think about running diesel, bio, or possibly wvo.
My 3vze also get around 18-20 mpg on the freeway, and it seems I'm one of the lucky ones. I've read folks with the 2lte can inch close to 30, that sounds phenomenal.

So mainly, I'm hoping to satisfy my botanical urges to run bio/wvo, and to get ~50% better gas mileage over my 3vze.