All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

1GGTE Swap into Hilux

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1GGTE Swap into Hilux

Ok, so...I picked up a 1GGTE from a buddy of mine. Yes a 2.0L Twin Turbo. And since the 22R in my 86 4wd hilux has had a blown headgasket since i bought it, but hadnt quite given up until just recently, I am gonna swap that bad boy into the truck.

I am looking for anyone that has had experience in this swap due to transmission bellhousing issues. I am planning on keeping the W series 5speed in the truck, but I dont know if i have to swap the bell housing for that motor.

is it a w56 or w58 that would be in the truck? and is there a difference in the w58 truck tranny and the w58 celica supra tranny? ive been told if the 1ggte is going in a supra, i would need to source out a 2t or a 3t corolla bell housing to swap.

Since that is gonna be a little hard to come by, unless one of you all have one that you'd be willing to sell and ship to GA 31908, then any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

sorry if the post is a little disorganized, its late and im tired..

Thanks everyone!

-Dannyr
Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
You aren't going to find many/anyone who even knows what a 1GGTE is, considering its a fairly rare engine that was never imported to the US.

Start here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...29-information

Good luck in your searches!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

Not only are they rare but it is gonna be real hard to find parts

I hope you didn`t pay very much!!
Old 11-28-2011, 12:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I clicked just to find out what it was.... sounds interesting, can you post a pic of it?
Subscribed...
Old 11-28-2011, 02:35 AM

sounds cool, i wonder if it would be wise to save that motor for another project and use something a little less rare(expencive) unless your just aiming for the whole rare thing. using engnbldr, rebuilding your stock motor is cheap!, i think i came in around $650 on mine. unique is cool tho..............
Old 11-28-2011, 06:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyr
Ok, so...I picked up a 1GGTE from a buddy of mine. Yes a 2.0L Twin Turbo. And since the 22R in my 86 4wd hilux has had a blown headgasket since i bought it, but hadnt quite given up until just recently, I am gonna swap that bad boy into the truck.

I am looking for anyone that has had experience in this swap due to transmission bellhousing issues. I am planning on keeping the W series 5speed in the truck, but I dont know if i have to swap the bell housing for that motor.

is it a w56 or w58 that would be in the truck? and is there a difference in the w58 truck tranny and the w58 celica supra tranny? ive been told if the 1ggte is going in a supra, i would need to source out a 2t or a 3t corolla bell housing to swap.

Since that is gonna be a little hard to come by, unless one of you all have one that you'd be willing to sell and ship to GA 31908, then any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

sorry if the post is a little disorganized, its late and im tired..

Thanks everyone!

-Dannyr
a tiny bit of digging in wikipedia shows that engine has been mated to the w57, w58, and A340E. the 22RE has also been mated to those trannys. so first impression is it should bolt up. but if you do more research you may be able to confirm this before getting tools out. otherwise, you're just going to have to try bellhousings on like shoes, and see if they fit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_G_engine#1G-GTE

the differences in W trannys are listed on the wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_W_transmission

good luck!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:40 PM

Yeah, from my understanding, the 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder bell housings are different. I have no idea why. But I'm supposed to be able to take the 22r motor mounts and make them bolt right up to the 1ggte. As far as finding parts, several things from the 7M supra motors are supposed to work. maybe some parts for a 1j. But that's less likely. Mainly things like belts and pulleys. Of course with enough fabrication for brackets, anything could bolt up as far as accessories are concerned.

I thought about swapping it into my 85 supra but it is in such good condition already that I can't break away from stock on her. Engine rebuild on her 212k 5MGE is soon to come though.

I will definitely start taking some pics and I will try to keep this thread updated as much as possible. Times are hectic right now with this school semester ending and finals. I'm in my 3rd year of college right now doing a dual major and dual minor and working, so time is limited.

I will update as I can!
Thanks for the interest everyone!

-Dannyr