3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Will this damage anything?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will this damage anything?

I have a 6 mile drive to the exhaust shop. If I drive it there with just straight headers that dump out both sides of the bellhousing think it will do any damage? I swear I've heard about possible engine damage driving with just straight headers and nothing more on other vehicles in the past. Any thoughts?

(My exhaust doesn't use the crossover tube, I have straight open headers and need to have an exhaust shop build something to connect them to my exhaust system basically)

You can see the exhaust flange for the tubing going back to the muffler and to the top left of it you can see the drvr side header exit.

Sooooooo, any harm besides ringing ears driving it about 6 miles like this???
Old 01-05-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No Problem

I drove mine 12 miles with open headers to the exhaust shop no problem. Just take it easy on her and you'll be fine.

The "theory" on this is that if you run it without an exhaust you can burn out an exhaust valve. I think it is BS personally and have never heard of this happening, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any merit to the theory.

Story goes that when you release the throttle cold air is sucked up the header via backpressure directly into the chamber and this cold air hitting the valve could cause a burnt valve.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:35 AM

Yep, that's EXACTLY what I'd heard too... That letting up on the gas will suck in cold air and damage valves. Just wasn't totally sure. I definately won't be hot rodding it to the exhaust shop, it's going to be loud enough as is!!! LOL Well unless I happen to hit a red light and a lowered import car pulls up next to me. I might have to blip the throttle once or twice cause I'm pretty sure it's mandatory at that point even though the import car would probably still smoke me!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sirhk100
Yep, that's EXACTLY what I'd heard too... That letting up on the gas will suck in cold air and damage valves. Just wasn't totally sure. I definately won't be hot rodding it to the exhaust shop, it's going to be loud enough as is!!! LOL Well unless I happen to hit a red light and a lowered import car pulls up next to me. I might have to blip the throttle once or twice cause I'm pretty sure it's mandatory at that point even though the import car would probably still smoke me!
I think that I would have a hard time driving with open headers from not pounding the throttle just to hear it roar.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
It will be LOUD! Did that with a 22RE. I can't imagine a V6 with dual straight pipes.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 AM

I've had it in my garage at idle and it's LOUD... Then blip the throttle up to like 2K a couple times and it's just that much LOUDER!!! LOL I have headsets with microphones that I use in the truck when offroading with an audio input and I doubt those will even be enough to drown out the exhaust. LOL

Considering the truck is caged bumper to bumper and flat black it will at least be intimidating for those 6 miles! LOL
Old 01-05-2011, 10:40 AM

hell if you think thats loud ya dont wanna listen to a BBC fire up... heh.. only thing id be worried about is where is the 02 sensor? i dont guess it will hurt that bad to get it to the shop.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:52 AM

Yeah but a BBC at least has that badass sound that we all probably wish our 3.4's made!!! LOL

O2 sensor not being in the mix didn't even cross my mind. It's in the exhaust pipe that goes nowhere and is plugged in too. LOL I guess I won't stress if it runs a little crappy until I get the exhaust plumbed up since the O2 won't really be reading anything correct.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
if it's only like you say about 10 minutes driving etc etc, you should be fine. Although it will run rich without the 02 sensor. Not sure if this will help but it wouldn't hurt to unplug the actual o2 sensor (front one if you have 2). You don't want that plugged in when the engine is running and not measuring anything. With it unplugged the ECU will run the motor slightly rich to help "save" the engine.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 01-05-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the O2, I'll unplug that tonight. And yes, mapquest shows it 6.3 from my door to the exhaust shop I'm going to have do the work for me.

"I swear officer, I'm on my way to the exhaust shop right now to get it fixed!!!" Think they'll believe me even if it's the truth? LOL
Old 01-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by theMonch
I drove mine 12 miles with open headers to the exhaust shop no problem. Just take it easy on her and you'll be fine.

The "theory" on this is that if you run it without an exhaust you can burn out an exhaust valve. I think it is BS personally and have never heard of this happening, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any merit to the theory.

Story goes that when you release the throttle cold air is sucked up the header via backpressure directly into the chamber and this cold air hitting the valve could cause a burnt valve.
Ask engine builders and high performance race car guys if that is a "BS" theory
Old 01-05-2011, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will not have ANY problems other than it will be louder than earmuffs. Drive it like you stole it!

James

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 01-05-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Language
Old 01-05-2011, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just drilled a tiny hole into one of the headers and safety wired the o2 to the end. It actually registered and went into closed loop.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:10 PM

BBC with only headers is LOUD! But it sounds badass lol. So are there any engine builders on here that can say that running with just open headers is bad?

Last edited by DeathCougar; 01-05-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Staff

Alright, not sure why this thread brings out all the swearing, but lets knock it off.

No more cussing, implied cussing, censored cussing, etc etc.

Lets try "Its very loud" instead of "its loud as *insert letters and cussing here*"

Next person gets a vacation, Kthx
Old 01-05-2011, 06:16 PM

i had my exhaust off because the weld broke on my 94 dodge ram with the 5.9 gas v8
and it sounded like a damn monster truck hahaha. But i had to drive it like that until i got it fixed and was too hot to weld (115ish degrees) so i just drove it and nothing bad happened. As long as you have headers on and not just running literally nothing you'll be good.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Alright, not sure why this thread brings out all the swearing, but lets knock it off.

No more cussing, implied cussing, censored cussing, etc etc.

Lets try "Its very loud" instead of "its loud as *insert letters and cussing here*"

Next person gets a vacation, Kthx
lol .. is there a thread we can do this in orrr no ..
Old 01-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by RMA
lol .. is there a thread we can do this in orrr no ..
Nope, per teh rules everyone agreed to
Old 01-06-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by theMonch
I did this as well no problems at all. I had the O2 sensors zip tied under the hood.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We had to do this once with my friends S-10 4.3 it's LOUD!! lol but the truck was fine.

Quick Reply: Will this damage anything?