3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Runs great... for 5 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runs great... for 5 seconds

I got my 3.4 into my 95 4Runner. The wiring seems pretty straight forward, but I've had a consistent problem with starting the engine and it runs for about 5 seconds, then it dies. OBD2 said bad TPS (I dropped the TB during assembly, so no surprise there) which was a cheap fix. Now I have good throttle readings, but then I was getting a bad camshaft sensor warning. Replaced that (it was indeed bad) and it is starting consistently now (as opposed to every 3-4 cranks) but it still fires up nice and strong, then dies. I've tried opening the throttle just a little bit while starting and it starts, revs, then dies. Checked spark and it's sparking, which makes sense since it runs for a few seconds. I checked the circuit opening relay and it's working as intended - you can hear it click off a few seconds after the engine stops.
So I'm not getting error codes anymore, but the engine still dies after just a few seconds. I assume if the ECU was killing the engine - either by disabling spark or the injectors - I would get a code. I'm not sure where that leaves me. Any thoughts?

Patrick
Old 09-17-2017, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news! The problem was my MAF. Even though I was able to read the intake temperature and the mass flow rate using my OBD2 scanner, the numbers must have been off enough to throw off the fuel load. It probably was under reading the flow and the engine leaned out until it stopped. The actual problem was a spider had built a web on the sensor elements. Cleaned it out with MAF cleaner, compressed air, and some very, very light scraping of the gunk. Now she starts up and runs!
Next problem is a P0340 code that I thought I had fixed with the new camshaft position sensor. Hey, at least it's progress.