3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Comprehensive Tool Check List

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 05:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Comprehensive Tool Check List

Can someone who has completed this swap, List any and all tools that were required in the process, or some tools you wish you would have had to make it easier to do the 3.0/3.4 swap.

sizes of sockets, extensions, special tools, engine hoist/stand, jack stands ect?

I am going to be doing this job on my own, and I have some really big craftsman tools that I don't need anymore from my old job that I am going to sell, and then start loading up on all the tools I will be required to use to do this swap with as much ease as possible

Thanks for the input everyone!!
Matt
Old 08-20-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Tool acquisition is a lifelong endeavour, you never know what you'll need.

There will always be some tool that you don't have, or a slightly different wrench or socket that would make things easier.

It's often handy to have odd wrenches and sockets that you can bend, cut. grind, and modify to suit whatever job is at hand.

I would never sell my 'big' tools. I use my 3/4" and 1" drive sockets all the time to press or drive seals and such.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 swap tools

Depending on how much of this you'll tackle yourself, there really aren't too many 'specialty' tools you really need. You mentioned some of the big stuff, engine hoist and such, besides that you'll need metric sockets & wrenches, deep wells will come in handy at times, a few extensions, and that's all pretty standard stuff. If you're going to attack the wiring yourself, a set of connector picks may come in handy, but you could make do with a small screwdriver and a push pin. A decent soldering iron will most likely be needed too. Depending on how much searching for parts you need to do or if you fabricate brackets and that crossover pipe yourself, you may need a welder and other metalworking tools. Its not that bad really, and the results are well worth it.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:46 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Trick Question for sure

I have 6 26" bottom and Top boxes plus assorted other tool storage .

I have been buying tools for 45 years don`t recall ever selling any. There are still things I need .

No doubt one of the few that has a Tack and Dweel meter

One thing for your 3.4 swap is a scanner to read real time data or at least a code reader as you work your way through the random codes that pop up

I would not touch a 3.4 swap without the hard copies of both vehicles electrical wiring diagrams
Old 09-17-2017, 04:40 PM

Very cool
Old 09-21-2017, 09:08 PM

Breaker bars, if you don't already have them. I used them almost as much as my ratchets. Once a bolt has sat for 20 years, you need a lot of torque to break it loose. Speaking of which, I've used bolt extractors several times on my swap. They're not expensive and oh-so-handy when removing frozen and/or rusted nuts and bolts. Now is also a good time to invest in an air compressor and some air tools from Harbor Freight (or Sears if you're made of money). Other than that, it's pretty standard stuff - metric sockets, both 12-point and deep wall, metric box end wrenches, and an assortment of pliers and adjustable wrenches. As others have said, this is a good opportunity to build up your tool set. The right tool will save you more time than you spend driving to the store to buy it.