3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Overdrive not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Overdrive not working

So I have double checked my wiring and everything seems okay. I have speed signal hooked up to the ECU and everything. I have a buddie who works at Toyota and we hooked it up to Techstream which is like an on board monitor. Driving through the gears it showed that the ECU never requested to shift in to overdrive. This is my first auto swap and I not positive i have everything connected right. Any input would be appreciated
Old 11-19-2011, 09:30 PM

I didn't want to make a duplicate thread but I could not find out how to change the title of my other one. Since I have figured out the main problem I figured a new title was in order.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:04 PM

okay so, its not shifting into overdrive.... I have gone thru my wiring multiple times and I have no trouble codes at all.... just not shifting. I am pretty frustrated at this point so any input is appreciated.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Are you using the donor's over drive button? I think the 5vz has a momentary button. Where the 3.0 uses a regular button.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the trans temp sensor is bad the trans will not shift into od, because the trans ecm thinks the truck is not at operating temp.
At least that is how my old 86 worked ,if I am not mistaken.

Last edited by swampfox; 11-22-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I am using the donor shifter with the donor OD button.

I thought about maybe the trans temp sensor was bad but you would think I would throw a code for that? Maybe not? I will start looking there.

Thanks for the input. I am starting to think something is wrong with the tranny or torque converter? But it shifts perfect through all the first gears.

I heard from someone the torque converters OD gears could get damaged hence why its not working. What do you guys think about that?

I am getting ready to go buy another transmission and swap it in. It would be pretty crappy if i had the same issue with another transmission though lol. Thanks again
Old 11-26-2011, 10:47 AM

Hey sam, it sounds to me like you might possibly have a bad torque converter. lol.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:37 AM

I would look at the temp sensors first. If the coolant temp is stuck at 150*F it will not throw a code because its within operating range, but it will not put it in overdrive because it thinks the engine is running cold. (just an example) It not going in overdrive holds the revs up and heats the engine up faster. Same thing with the trans temp sensor. Take it to your friend with the techstream again after you drove it 10 miles or so and see what the temps look like on the scan tool data list.

If you had a bad torque converter or trans it would probable throw a code because the ecu would be requesting for it to be in overdrive, but the computer would see that it is not happening.

Not sure what the wiring diagram looks like because you failed to mention what the 3.4 is out of and what year it is.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the input Jason. I swapped in another tranny and torque converter with same result. So that is a bummer. I am going to take Jasons advice and head down to the dealer tomorrow so we can use techstream again and see what the temps are at. I will keep everyone posted.

If I don't figure this out soon. I will just ram a 5 speed in there.

Thanks everybody.

Originally Posted by jasond
I would look at the temp sensors first. If the coolant temp is stuck at 150*F it will not throw a code because its within operating range, but it will not put it in overdrive because it thinks the engine is running cold. (just an example) It not going in overdrive holds the revs up and heats the engine up faster. Same thing with the trans temp sensor. Take it to your friend with the techstream again after you drove it 10 miles or so and see what the temps look like on the scan tool data list.

If you had a bad torque converter or trans it would probable throw a code because the ecu would be requesting for it to be in overdrive, but the computer would see that it is not happening.

Not sure what the wiring diagram looks like because you failed to mention what the 3.4 is out of and what year it is.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:11 PM

The motor is from an 97 4runner A/T 4x4. Same computer and harness from 4runner just using an 97 2wd tranny. The 4runner is an 92 A/T 3.0
Old 11-27-2011, 05:20 PM

Also it is starting to stutter when driving. It feels like the engine is missing. Only in gear when driving. The rpms don't jump or move but It feels like the tranny is hesitating. Both trannys did that. Any Ideas?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:16 PM

Update

So I had my buddie hook it up to techstream and all the temps seemed fine. My motor has over 200,000 so I thought it wouldn't hurt to replace the engine temp sensor anyways. After replacing, same thing still no Overdrive. I also did the plugs, wires and fuel filter. No more stumbling. Runs crisp.

So as far as the OD I think it is something I did or didn't do. Seems like the computer is not seeing something it wants. I have gone over my wiring a million times it seems and still can't figure it out. It drives fine minus the overdrive so before I am going to drive it for a while and try to figure this out before I go and do a 5speed.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thanks
Old 11-30-2011, 01:14 PM

tttop
Old 12-01-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
are you sure it isn't something as simple as the overdrive lockout button is defective? Isn't there one on the stock shifter handle?
Old 12-01-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
are you sure it isn't something as simple as the overdrive lockout button is defective? Isn't there one on the stock shifter handle?
I don't think it is that because that button is for O/D off only. Any other ideas? Thanks for your input,.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:02 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to manual go in to overdrive?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:02 PM

any updates? im having the same issue..

NO CHECK ENGINE CODEs.. and NO O/D.. WTF is going on

there is a way to manual go into o/d.. disconnect the O/D shift solenoid.. i heard its on the side of the transmission by the pan..
L-1
2-2/3
d-3 and o/d.. or just O/D

its in the trouble shooting manual for a340h
Old 04-24-2012, 04:46 PM

Update

So in my current setup I have the 2wd transmission in my 4runner. My donor was a 4x4. I switched to a 2wd ECU and everything works now as far as the OD.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to know man, glad you updated. You getting any closer to getting your adapter and t-case put in?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:40 AM

1991 Toyota truck will not shift into overdrive why?

Quick Reply: Overdrive not working