3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Newest 3.4 swap, auto this time.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Newest 3.4 swap, auto this time.

I thought I would just post a couple pictures of my newest 3.4 swap. I am very close to finishing it up and will add more progress pictures later. I decided to use the donor transmission which was automatic. I have done a couple 3.4 swaps in the past that have been all manual so this one was a little different. Thanks for everyone's support and help on the forum.

This is the most recent picture with the new wheels and tires.

This is a before the new wheels and tires.

A couple motor shots.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:10 PM

Here is a shot of my old 2 door bringing the donor home.

This is the donor pretty much handled.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which aluminum radiator is that please? Nice project
Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cole Brooks
Which aluminum radiator is that please? Nice project
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290608651728...84.m1497.l2649
Old 10-19-2011, 06:37 AM

Thanks for the link!

Bolt-in aluminum radiator for 100 bucks? There must be a catch... is it a nice piece?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cole Brooks
Thanks for the link!

Bolt-in aluminum radiator for 100 bucks? There must be a catch... is it a nice piece?
It looks like a solid unit. Time will tell.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 AM

ya it doesn't have the Griffin logo on it. That's why it's so cheap lol. But seriously. I am in the market for a new one. My stock '90 radiator is about to go. I wonder how good a 2 row solid goes up against a 400+ dollar griffin 2 row..
Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 PM

Any info on how you got the donor tranny to work? am working on getting a 99 4runner with auto 4x4 onto my 1990 3.0 and am having a hard time understanding how it's done....thanks....J.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by PwrToyz
Any info on how you got the donor tranny to work? am working on getting a 99 4runner with auto 4x4 onto my 1990 3.0 and am having a hard time understanding how it's done....thanks....J.
Well I first had the donor 4x4 transmission in the car and later changed it to a 2wd version temporarily until I can get an adapter. For the 4x4, I had to make a custom cross member, I am not sure if the stock 3.0 one would work since I did not have it. I also had to cut the floorboard and mount the donor shifter in place of the old one. If you want to retain the 4wheel drive you will need to get the gear driven transfer case adapter to make the t case passenger side drop. Other than that It is good to go.

My current setup is the 3.4 2wd transmission with stock 2wd 3.0 cross member and stock 3.0 2wd driveline. This is temp until I get my own adapter. I am not in a huge hurry since the woman mainly drives it and doesn't need 4x4.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am thinking of installing the 4wd transmission and getting the adapter later. Just running it in 2wd configuration. Am I reading that this won't work? Or why else would you have changed to a 2wd tranny? I have already wired in all the 4wd relays and VSVs, so I was hoping it'd just be a matter of installing the adapter and xfer case later.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by sam4runner
Well I first had the donor 4x4 transmission in the car and later changed it to a 2wd version temporarily until I can get an adapter. For the 4x4, I had to make a custom cross member, I am not sure if the stock 3.0 one would work since I did not have it. I also had to cut the floorboard and mount the donor shifter in place of the old one. If you want to retain the 4wheel drive you will need to get the gear driven transfer case adapter to make the t case passenger side drop. Other than that It is good to go.

My current setup is the 3.4 2wd transmission with stock 2wd 3.0 cross member and stock 3.0 2wd driveline. This is temp until I get my own adapter. I am not in a huge hurry since the woman mainly drives it and doesn't need 4x4.
Thanks for the reply,I am going nuts trying to figure this out.I have a 99 limited 4x4 runner with auto trans just waiting to be installed but I can get any clear answers on how it would work...Also do you have any pics on how the 3.4 tranny fits in the cabin? Interested in seeing how the shifter looks in the cabin.Thanks again...
Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you need to do a bunch more reading. There are several auto swaps with pics on this site. Mt Goat has a nice swap thread in the stickys with pics of shifters, etc . Several more on the web. You're asking too general questions to have done much/ any research.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
Sounds like you need to do a bunch more reading. There are several auto swaps with pics on this site. Mt Goat has a nice swap thread in the stickys with pics of shifters, etc . Several more on the web. You're asking too general questions to have done much/ any research.
Thanks, yeah I know they are general, but I am trying to steer my self in the direction I'd like my swap to be.I did notice Mt Goat's thread on his auto swap but that is too complicated especially having to add another transfer case.I've seen several threads but I just can't seem to find and auto 3.4 swap with out adding that extra transfer case which I seem to realize why so many people just go manual.Any other suggestions you may have? appreciate it.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by PwrToyz
Thanks, yeah I know they are general, but I am trying to steer my self in the direction I'd like my swap to be.I did notice Mt Goat's thread on his auto swap but that is too complicated especially having to add another transfer case.I've seen several threads but I just can't seem to find and auto 3.4 swap with out adding that extra transfer case which I seem to realize why so many people just go manual.Any other suggestions you may have? appreciate it.
Theres nothing complicated about swapping in the auto tranny. What do you mean by "extra transfer case"? Adding a crawl box or swapping the 3.4 transfer case for a gear driven one? Installing a gear driven case is a piece of cake, all you need is the adapter plate from Marlin, Inch Worm, etc...
Old 01-16-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
I am thinking of installing the 4wd transmission and getting the adapter later. Just running it in 2wd configuration. Am I reading that this won't work? Or why else would you have changed to a 2wd tranny? I have already wired in all the 4wd relays and VSVs, so I was hoping it'd just be a matter of installing the adapter and xfer case later.
No that should work just fine. My buddie had the 2WD tranny just sitting around so I decided to rock it for a while. Since I had the option I went with the 2WD until I purchased the adapter. Once I get the adapter I can just assemble the 4x4 business and ram it in.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by cadman
Theres nothing complicated about swapping in the auto tranny. What do you mean by "extra transfer case"? Adding a crawl box or swapping the 3.4 transfer case for a gear driven one? Installing a gear driven case is a piece of cake, all you need is the adapter plate from Marlin, Inch Worm, etc...

Hey Cadman, possibly not too complicated, I guess I must be intimidated better said.And yes it must be the Crawl Box which now made sense, especially after going through your swap build which is btw the way, very nice...Thanks for making me feel a bit more positive...Congrats on the New Ride.You still have your truck for sale?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:18 AM

Yes, the truck is for sale, although I haven't placed any ads yet. The bumpers will come off and be sold separately.

Issues with a dual case are not specific to the 3.4 swap, but the fact that the tranny is now longer and typically the rear drive shaft will need to be shortened and will be at a steeper angle than stock. Driveline vibration is usually a problem.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 AM

Yes, the truck is for sale, although I haven't placed any ads yet. The bumpers will come off and be sold separately.

Issues with a dual case are not specific to the 3.4 swap, but the fact that the tranny is now longer and typically the rear drive shaft will need to be shortened and will be at a steeper angle than stock. Driveline vibration is usually a problem.
Just sent you PM on truck for sale.

Also thanks for your support and tips on Swap.appreciate it.Thank GOD to forums!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Hey man, just needed some info from ya, That listing for your rad is not longer active, it wouldn't happen to be this one would it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Row-w-o-EO...17326871178554

Hows it holding up? No fitment issues?
Old 06-18-2015, 05:14 PM

Hey Cadman,

On these A340f + gear-driven T-case 3.4 conversions, how much of a drive line length change is necessary? That is, if you're only running a single transfer case (for now)? And, do you guys know if drive line vibration is a possible problem with this conversion?

I've assembled just about every part under the sun for my JDM 3.4 auto swap into my 95 Runner (including tranny + t-case), and as a relative newbie, trying to understand this project in as much detail as possible before the wrench turning begins in 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: Newest 3.4 swap, auto this time.