3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

New Style EVAP question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinyard
man thats really interesting... when i was hooking up the throttle cable i noticed it doesnt actually open the butterfly valve all the way only about half then i noticed the drag of the servo motor thanks for the heads up im putting the tranny in in a few days then the last thing is the wiring which i have already identified most of it. i got ahold of a complete fuel pump,sender assembly from a 2003 tacoma it has the vapor pressure sensor on it too. My plan is to get it running first (with the etcs wire hooked up to a 15 amp fuse) then dial in the evap system. I already have all the vsvs hooked up under the hood that connect to the tank, and evap canister in the rear so its just a matter of connecting them right. SO the way i look at it there will be 2 wires coming from the pressure sensor mounted on the tank, there's another vsv on the canister itself so trace two more wires there, then figure out how it all ties into the throttle position sensor/throttle body?
Sweet! I'm coming down on the wiring in the next few weeks or days. I just need a couple of days to plan on how to start and to actually get down and dirty. You may only need the throttle control sensor to actually get it to start. Everything else if unhooked may throw a check engine light, but all you have to do is just plug it in.

Last edited by superchiem; 02-18-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:36 PM

Hows it coming along? I started getting my connectors ready and have spread sheet for each wire and where it goes.

Getting close!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm putting the tranny back in the next few days, but right now im stuck on the clutch which way does it go? I think it's like pic 1 with the deeper part of the clutch disk facing the pressure plate..
Attached Thumbnails New Style EVAP question-clutch2.jpg   New Style EVAP question-clutch1.jpg  
Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 AM

I was also able to go to the wrecking yard to grab the sending unit from the donor, which has the vapor pressure sensor we spoke of earlier attached. I also mounted the vsv's for the evap and used the existing holes in the firewall. I need to get my wiring handled before i jump into the evap stuff hopefully next week!
Attached Thumbnails New Style EVAP question-vsvs.jpg   New Style EVAP question-vapor_pressure_sensor.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 12:39 PM

looks like ECTS has to do with the automatic transmission ...
Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 AM

looks like ECTS has to do with the automatic transmission ...
There is ECTS = electronic controlled transmission.

Then there is ETCS= Electronic Throttle Control System

Good luck!

I'm at a stand still with my swap because I have wedding stuff to get done.

I'll post here if I get any light on the situation.

Navy
Old 03-08-2012, 07:34 PM

pink wire i believe ? So congrats on getting married i'll figure this all out for you as a wedding present! Almost got it wrapped up!
Old 03-13-2012, 03:53 PM

ok superchiem im getting really close to the end and am in the zone now for some reason on my overall ewd of the computer there is no pin for ects electronically controlled throttle system .... so i found it was pin 8 on the e5... hooked up 15 amp fused power and got my throttle body working as it should good call on that.. that got rid of another cel also 1228 ... now to tackle the wiring of evap vsv canister closed (ccv) and finally figure out a way to mount the vapor pressure sensor in the tank... then wire them up and i should be check engine free and emissions compliant!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:51 AM

Talking

ok superchiem im getting really close to the end and am in the zone now for some reason on my overall ewd of the computer there is no pin for ects electronically controlled throttle system .... so i found it was pin 8 on the e5... hooked up 15 amp fused power and got my throttle body working as it should good call on that.. that got rid of another cel also 1228 ... now to tackle the wiring of evap vsv canister closed (ccv) and finally figure out a way to mount the vapor pressure sensor in the tank... then wire them up and i should be check engine free and emissions compliant!
You sir are the man! Thank you for documenting this! If you can take pictures on how and where you mount the pressure sensor that would be great. I wish I could jump right back into it, but looks like not until after April.

Thank you,

Navy
Old 03-17-2012, 04:19 PM

pictures first
Attached Thumbnails New Style EVAP question-1.jpg   New Style EVAP question-2.jpg   New Style EVAP question-3.jpg  
Old 03-17-2012, 04:20 PM

more
Attached Thumbnails New Style EVAP question-4.jpg   New Style EVAP question-5.jpg   New Style EVAP question-6.jpg  
Old 03-17-2012, 04:20 PM

more
Attached Thumbnails New Style EVAP question-7.jpg   New Style EVAP question-8.jpg   New Style EVAP question-9.jpg  
Old 03-17-2012, 04:21 PM

blah
Attached Thumbnails New Style EVAP question-10.jpg   New Style EVAP question-11.jpg   New Style EVAP question-12.jpg  
Old 03-17-2012, 04:22 PM

blah
Attached Thumbnails New Style EVAP question-13.jpg   New Style EVAP question-14.jpg   New Style EVAP question-15.jpg  
Old 03-17-2012, 04:23 PM

descriptions to come
Attached Thumbnails New Style EVAP question-16.jpg   New Style EVAP question-17.jpg  
Old 03-18-2012, 07:31 AM

That is just plain amazing!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 AM

So i was looking at just drilling a hole in the tank for the vapor pressure sensor, but the way it seals into the newer style tank required me putting that whole mounting bracket in place. So I picked a spot and used some tape and used the part where it mounted on the newer tank as a template. Once I got the vps in the tank I started comparing the new to the old tank and i figured it was either run the new tank all together (which is the wrong shape ) or modify the 1992 one to make it just like the 2003. There are two places where I had to cut and re weld the pieces into the old tank to get all the smog stuff in there. I also had to find a place to mount the EVAP canister. SO you can see where i tack welded it to the frame and the other bracket will bolt to the bed once I put it back on. You can also see I had to modify the filler neck (added two lines on there) I drilled holes and welded them on.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:16 AM

So basically if you take your 4 runner stuff (filler neck, evap canister, lines, etc. ) and set them by the new tank thats what you have to mimic you have to get all that stuff on there somehow. It took me a little over a day to get it all right and it looks like it belongs now! In my opinion there was no other way get all this stuff to work besides welding on the tank which can be very dangerous and is not recommended (theres my legal disclaimer). But basically I flushed the tank out with water and let it dry out for a day or two before i went to town..
Old 08-03-2012, 08:09 AM

So basically if you take your 4 runner stuff (filler neck, evap canister, lines, etc. ) and set them by the new tank thats what you have to mimic you have to get all that stuff on there somehow. It took me a little over a day to get it all right and it looks like it belongs now! In my opinion there was no other way get all this stuff to work besides welding on the tank which can be very dangerous and is not recommended (theres my legal disclaimer). But basically I flushed the tank out with water and let it dry out for a day or two before i went to town..
Hey spinyard,

Did you plug the larger original breather line on the fillerneck or did you just hook it back up?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:15 AM

i just hooked it back up i think it's so when your filling the tank with fuel it has a place for air to escape the tank. I think if you plugged it you might get gas all over your pants!

Quick Reply: New Style EVAP question