3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Lysmachia's CAB/Engine Swap for Tippy

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Lysmachia's CAB/Engine Swap for Tippy

Well guys,

I've got the engine.... now for the research while I start saving more $$ for the rest of the parts.

A few things I have IMMEDIATLY noticed:

1) We're screwed. I mean if Elvota had This hard of a time getting his 3.0 out with a SAS on 35's in what appears to be mild weather - how in the world are Troy and I gonna do the same thing, in the obnoxious Colorado cold, with a garage that is more packed than his, and an engine hoist that looks the same on an even steeper driveway?

2) I have already gusseted one side of my steering box (FROR armour) I need to get the other side down now that I'll be able to actually get in there...

3) So Elvota, your 3.0 oil pan worked with your SAS? I noticed you have an 85ish SA. High steer? I am hoping I'll be able to do the same thing then. I too have no body lift and so will be introducing my hood to my grinder! WHEEEE!

4) Time to buy you all some brew-ski's. I won't have any research left! I too want to keep my old 3.0 alternator - Like Elvota because I had Boyle's Future Technologies rebuilt my 3.0 for higher output and I want to keep that one! Nice research work team! https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...l#post50682531

5) Gotta get me one of these!
ESS (Elvota Service Tool ) for the crank shaft pulley to get the bolt out and install later:

I am excited and terrified at the same time. At night if I listen I can hear Tippy chortling at me from the driveway....

Last edited by Lysmachia; 01-31-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm so excited. You know I won't be able to stay away for long!!!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You dont need one of those tools I used a block of wood to hold the crank when i did mine

Cant wait to see more

Old 01-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Isaac...y ou are probably the biggest reason we are getting into this mess aside from needing Tippy to run. LOL It's all about your learning expereince.

So help me figure out how the heck we are gonna get that 3.O OUT with such a low garage! ARGH!

More thoughts that have nothing to do with the engine....
1) Gotta fab up the battery tray (Need fabbing skilz) https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...l#post50684008

2) Technical docs... techinfo.toyota.com - Um got any to share?

3) ORS. Ok Lots of you git away without using the ORS conversion - but was that with a full doner runner? I have a feeling I will not get outta this without the conversion kit. But I am ok with that. I like ORS and want to support that business if I can.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
You dont need one of those tools I used a block of wood to hold the crank when i did mine

Cant wait to see more

Don't squash my dreams of turning the HOW (House of Wrenching) into the Mollyfood Fab Palace...

I have never seen such awesome and thorough write ups.... seriously there is NO way i would have let Isaac and Troy talk me into this mess if I didn't have access to all this knowledge. So thanks in advance all fo you!
Old 01-31-2008, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Isaac...y ou are probably the biggest reason we are getting into this mess aside from needing Tippy to run. LOL It's all about your learning expereince.

So help me figure out how the heck we are gonna get that 3.O OUT with such a low garage! ARGH!

More thoughts that have nothing to do with the engine....
1) Gotta fab up the battery tray (Need fabbing skilz) https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...l#post50684008

2) Technical docs... techinfo.toyota.com - Um got any to share?

3) ORS. Ok Lots of you git away without using the ORS conversion - but was that with a full doner runner? I have a feeling I will not get outta this without the conversion kit. But I am ok with that. I like ORS and want to support that business if I can.
First dont buy the kit IMO you can salvage tons from an entire rig plus most the stuff is new stuff youd get from the auto parts store anyway.

As for battery if you want to keep it on the same side it is now you can plus you can also buy new trays from auto stores as I did.

Techinfo is great

and heres how you can get the motor out
Set the front on small blocks
Old 01-31-2008, 01:04 PM

Don't squash my dreams of turning the HOW (House of Wrenching) into the Mollyfood Fab Palace...

I have never seen such awesome and thorough write ups.... seriously there is NO way i would have let Isaac and Troy talk me into this mess if I didn't have access to all this knowledge. So thanks in advance all fo you!
Sorry to sqaush dreams I stole plenty of my friends brains for my work too. I bet after the end youll be able to do the swap and others in your sleep easy
Old 01-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice job on acquiring the 3.4. Tippy is going to be stoked. You probably will be as well.

We're screwed. I mean if Elvota had this hard of a time getting his 3.0 out with a SAS on 35's in what appears to be mild weather - how in the world are Troy and I gonna do the same thing, in the obnoxious Colorado cold, with a garage that is more packed than his, and an engine hoist that looks the same on an even steeper driveway?
My main problem was overhead clearance. I don't know how steep your driveway is, but you just need to make sure your hoist can go up. Remove the wheels (wooden blocks is a good idea) or use a floor jack under the axle. One advantage of the floor jack is you can roll Tippy back if you have to. That's what I ended up doing... though it wasn't easy.

If you are really tight, take off the old pan and such from the 3.0 first. that will reduce your engine height by at least 3" or so. Plus, you have to take that stuff off anyway.

So Elvota, your 3.0 oil pan worked with your SAS? I noticed you have an 85ish SA. High steer? I am hoping I'll be able to do the same thing then. I too have no body lift and so will be introducing my hood to my grinder! WHEEEE!
Yes, '85 axle, Marlin high steer (complete Marlin SAS kit actually) and the original pan from my 3.0. I transfered this 3.0 pan and related to the 3.4 and have had no clearance issues. If your pan clears now, it will clear after the swap.

I too want to keep my old 3.0 alternator because I had Boyle's Future Technologies rebuilt my 3.0 for higher output and I want to keep that one!
My 3.0 alt is still working fine. Make sure you retain the 3.0 wiring for the alt and plug... you'll need it. You also need to watch the belt length. There is not very much clearance between the alt and the steering shaft rag joint.

Gotta get me one of these! For the crank shaft pulley to get the bolt out and install later.
As Fillsrunner said, a 2x4 will also work if you can't weld. Click here for some more ideas and how-to's:

Technical docs... techinfo.toyota.com - Um got any to share?
What year is your 4Runner? What year is the 3.4? I can E-mail you some stuff, but if we don't have exactley the same years it wont be of much help. Best thing is to pay the $10 on TIS and get info for the exact years you are dealing with. This step would be vital if you are planning to do your own wiring.

ORS. Ok Lots of you git away without using the ORS conversion - but was that with a full doner runner?
I only had the 3.4, no donor. You just need the ECM and all related plugs from the 3.4. There are maybe 11 wires that need to be spliced from the 3.0 4Runner to the 3.4 motor. ORS will simplify things, but I really don't think the wiring is beyond DIY. Especially when YT has your back.

Best of luck. I'll be watching in anticipation of the reward at the end. We may need to get a YT 3.4 swap festival in the works sometime here soon. Seems like we have enough members to justify it now.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

God after reading about the exhaust fun (and my curent exhaust sytem is almost non-existant) My dreams are starting to vaporize. Unless we really get some folks who can help me fab it's gonan cost $$ to have All Phase doi it for me (though they do a great job)....

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...l#post50688920

Sorry it's just that the scope of this project is SO big and I don't think I am doing any tranny swappage (though for awhile we considered going to manual and adding the crawler but since I got an auto v6 i'll just keep auto with 5.71s and prentend it's a crawler...
Old 01-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4

and heres how you can get the motor out
Set the front on small blocks

To have a flat driveway.....

See this is my problemo!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

God after reading about the exhaust fun (and my curent exhaust sytem is almost non-existant) My dreams are starting to vaporize. Unless we really get some folks who can help me fab it's gonan cost $$ to have All Phase do it for me (though they do a great job)....
Don't let my exhaust issues trouble you. That was all Midas... worthless company, at least the one near me is.

You probably saw that I did my own exhaust with some parts from Summit Racing. If you don't have a welder, maybe it's time to justify one? Let's say $500 now... would pay for itself really quick between the exhaust, battery tray and what ever else.

I didn't know how to weld before I got one. I just starting giving it a shot and learned as I went. Stuff like exhaust and sliders are good to learn on because if they fail no one gets hurt. Unless they really, really fail.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elvota
Nice job on acquiring the 3.4. Tippy is going to be stoked. You probably will be as well.

Best of luck. I'll be watching in anticipation of the reward at the end. We may need to get a YT 3.4 swap festival in the works sometime here soon. Seems like we have enough members to justify it now.
And...we have so many of us in Colorado/AZ area. LOL Yup... well some AZ cottora folks are coming to SW colorado at end of Summer. I hope to Have tippy al set and chopped and painted by then...

It would be awesome after this is all over to hoist a beer with you guys for sure. But I have plenty of other hoisting to do first!
Old 01-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like a good excuse to visit CO and run the trails

About your driveway... I think I might just pull the 3.0 in the street and roll it up into the garage. Working on a slant like that would be difficult for sure.

Although the hoist would be upslope from the 4Runner and give you some more height... if it didn't roll or tip forward at mid hoist that is.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

If you don't have a welder, maybe it's time to justify one? Let's say $500 now... would pay for itself really quick between the exhaust, battery tray and what ever else.

I didn't know how to weld before I got one. I just starting giving it a shot and learned as I went. Stuff like exhaust and sliders are good to learn on because if they fail no one gets hurt. Unless they really, really fail.
Thankfully we have access to a little 110 MIG and a plasma torch. As well as even a tube bender. A big group of us CoTTORA kids took a welding class together last week (what a hoot) and some of us are quite good. Troy to be exact. Me to be not.

So actually since I am not so anal about how things look just functional (have ya seen tippy in her 6 toned goodness yet???) Then I guess Troy and Isaac and whoever else helps at the HOW will get to practice Welding as well as engine swapage!

Seriously though I think it is time we do go for a 220 set up and put that in.... So it might just be worth it.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

That 110v will work fine for the exhaust and battery holder.

Have you seen what Rayl82 did for his crossover? (link)

That was a really slick way to go and very cheap. Maybe he'll post pics soon.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

His crossover looks good. Too bad he ended up yanking at all out. I think that is par for the course with a do-it-yerself job. It's just the engine is SO danged big that moving it is the biggest drain. So lesson learned up front I hope. Do as much as we can ahead of time, to be sure we don't have to yank it back out!

(This is all assuming we can get that 3.0 out LOL)
Old 01-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

I had another thought....

.... since Tippy is getting chopped up and new paint soon anyway, why not just loosen up that old 3.0 and roll the whole rig onto it's roof. That sucker will just drop right out of there.... no hoist required.

See, I am going to be able to offer plenty of good advice for this project.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

I had another thought....

.... since Tippy is getting chopped up and new paint soon anyway, why not just loosen up that old 3.0 and roll the whole rig onto it's roof. That sucker will just drop right out of there.... no hoist required.

See, I am going to be able to offer plenty of good advice for this project.

Cept the fact that I do actually need to keep some of the new mismatched body work I have already started on in ok shape....

Yeah I think we might just have to pull the engine at the bottom of the driveway and then um somehow reconnect the winch up and pull her enginless ass up the driveway and into the garage for inbetween work...

I gott leave this one to the mythbuster crowd to figure out... LOL
Old 01-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

It does seem a bit daunting, at first, Molly, but you will LOVE the end result, I'm sure of it!

I do have the hard copies of the FSMs for '90 Trucks, and '02 Tacos, if that is any help for your situation - just let me know.

As I mentioned before, I'm in the Metro area most weekends, so get in touch, if I can be of assistance (or moral support!)
Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 PM

The exhaust is no big deal. I could build/weld it if needed. ORS will sell you the builder parts at a competitive price. Also the crossover they sell puts most of what I've seen on this site to shame. Also get your exhaust coated, mine is turning to crap because of the Mag-chloride.

If your staying with the auto, get the 96-98 T100 ECU to not have any MIL or shifting issues. If you can get the same harness, if not I had luck modifying a 98 Taco harness. Just a little FYI Crissy's 4runner slips the tranny in 1st gear, I'm not sure if this is a pre-existing condition or the effect of the 3.4l powa.

Quick Reply: Lysmachia's CAB/Engine Swap for Tippy