3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Flywheel Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flywheel Bolts

So I kept the flywheel bolts from the 3.0 so I could install the new fw onto the 3.4 but come to find out they are just a shy to long. I was wondering if it would hurt the temper in the bolts if I cut them down so they don't bottom out so I could use them instead of buying all new bolts?
Old 03-24-2016, 06:51 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Torch, plasma, or cutoff wheel, are not the best plan.

I'd probably just buy some new ones of the correct size and hardness.

Room temperature is your friend.

Power hack saw, or hand saw (if you've got the arm for it), would be OK, with filing, or light grinding to clean up the cut edge.

Seems like someone on here was recently expounding about the fact that the 3.0 and 3.4 flywheels were cross compatable except for clutch diameter. (Mudhippy, I think).

He did'nt mention anything about different flywheel bolts.

Why not keep the 3.4 flywheel in order to take advantage of the larger clutch??

Last edited by millball; 03-24-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:58 PM

I am using the 3.4 flywheel. The 3.4 originally was an auto so I don't have the right length bolts so I kept the bolts from the 3.0 knowing they were longer but until I went to bolt the new fw up is when I measured everything and new they were to long.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Ah So
Old 03-25-2016, 06:03 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I didn't know about the different length flywheel bolts. Just that you can bolt a 5VZ flywheel to a 3VZ, and vice versa. And if you use the correct clutch with it, either will(read should) work on either engine.

Which is a rather recent discovery for me. I sort of figured it out on my own(like within the last month). Or I probably would have also found out on my own that the 3VZ flywheel bolts were too long(I presume) by trying to do use them with a 5VZ flywheel on my 3VZ. Except I didn't know I could use 5VZ parts when I replaced them(flywheel + clutch kit) on my 90 3VZ not too long ago.

Where's all the 3VZ to 5VZ clutch upgrade threads? That's what I'm wondering now. Shouldn't we(3VZ owners) all be doing this? I would have assumed the flywheel for the 5VZ would be considerably heavier. But it's not. Both are ~22 lbs. So other than the length of the flywheel bolts, which is hardly a problem that can't be easily solved, there's really no reason not to. Except price. Since it seems the 5VZ parts are a bit more expensive.

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-24-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:46 AM

I had to order some for my swap.. here is the part number from Toyota 90105-10138, were like $7 each
Old 03-26-2016, 10:22 AM

Ouch! Pricey buggers. I think I'm gonna try to cut them down on the lathe at work.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Ever see a flywheel come off quite impressive .

I had a friend went cheap on bolts it is really a shame his 17 year old daughter was the unlucky one driving .

It was not so bad she lost her right foot some place just above the ankle

The left leg close enough to the knee that the knee is gone .

The fact she did not bleed out is amazing .

He never sobered up and died a few years later

I have a picture of the 3 of us about 2 months before it happened I look at now and then thinking would $20.00 a bolt been that expensive ?? This happened in 1976
Old 03-29-2016, 04:29 PM

Yeah. I thought about it and decided to buy new ones. Thanks drnut for the numbers. Bolts should be here this week.

Last edited by bklf7; 03-29-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good call. Use a dot of lock tite on them too.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Ever see a flywheel come off quite impressive .

I had a friend went cheap on bolts it is really a shame his 17 year old daughter was the unlucky one driving .

It was not so bad she lost her right foot some place just above the ankle

The left leg close enough to the knee that the knee is gone .

The fact she did not bleed out is amazing .

He never sobered up and died a few years later

I have a picture of the 3 of us about 2 months before it happened I look at now and then thinking would $20.00 a bolt been that expensive ?? This happened in 1976
jesus h christ, man.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:46 AM

I ended up using red loctite and might have used more than a dot. Oh well just means I will work a little harder if I have to take them out

Last edited by bklf7; 04-07-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:04 AM

Just thinking out loud here. Did you put the shim/spacer behind the flywheel? Wondering if the bolts are actually longer or if the spacer makes the difference.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:31 AM

I didn't use any spacers from the flex plate. All the bolts where different length
Old 04-23-2016, 11:58 AM

The bolts are different between the 3vz and 5vz. And it also depends on the year of the 5vz. Torque to yield specific so only use them once.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by mizombie
The bolts are different between the 3vz and 5vz. And it also depends on the year of the 5vz. Torque to yield specific so only use them once.
FSM doesn't mention anything about torque to yield I reuse mine in a clutch change. Cheap insurance though.

Last edited by vasinvictor; 04-23-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by mizombie
1. We've established that. They're different length.

2. Like how? What years? And why? Or I'm calling BS on all accounts. Don't piss me off and make me look up part numbers to prove you wrong. Because I can and will.

3. Now that is totally BS. You just made that up. These are NOT TTY bolts. Not to mention Toyota doesn't recommend replacing bolts of any kind unless they're damaged/aren't within specs(specs and instructions are provided where/when necessary to make that call). And I'm not even going to waste one second more on it.

Don't bust in here with statements you aren't prepared to back up with substantial evidence. I'll nail you for it every time.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
1. We've established that. They're different length.

2. Like how? What years? And why? Or I'm calling BS on all accounts. Don't piss me off and make me look up part numbers to prove you wrong. Because I can and will.

3. Now that is totally BS. You just made that up. These are NOT TTY bolts. Not to mention Toyota doesn't recommend replacing bolts of any kind unless they're damaged/aren't within specs(specs and instructions are provided where/when necessary to make that call). And I'm not even going to waste one second more on it.

Don't bust in here with statements you aren't prepared to back up with substantial evidence. I'll nail you for it every time.
Oh snap- jimmys have been rustled. Thanks for keeping us straight all these years, MH. Seriously man.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:57 PM

The mounting flange on the flywheel thickness is different between the 3vz vs the 5vz hence the size differences in the bolts. I just went through this a couple months ago. I had gotten 3 different length bolts because the dealership didn't know which was the correct one.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:33 AM

Of course the flanges are different thickness. There's no other reason why the bolts would be different lengths. What I was asking was why and how the differences exist between years of the 5vz. And which years specifically. But it looks like I'll be verifying the accuracy of that statement myself. It might help to know ahead of time what their reasons for not knowing were. So I can rule out some things first. Like did they think you might have a 3VZ flywheel? Or were they too stupid to know the difference between flywheel bolts and flexplate bolts? Because I highly doubt year has anything to do with it. Especially since you failed to address that. Now I'm going to have to prove it.

Just don't speculate so much. We're trying to maintain technicality here. Vague statements that leave questions open for answering aren't very helpful.

Quick Reply: Flywheel Bolts