3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4swap wiring problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4swap wiring problems

So i have a 1991 toyota single cab 3.0, im having issues making my own conversation harness. my donor engine is from a 1997 4Runner and i did not pull it the junk yard did and i ended up getting a different engine bay harness and i got a M/T ecu and have a cab harness for the 3.4 and fuse box for the 3.4 but also have all my 3.0 wiring still. Ive tried use the 3.0 cab harness to make up a harness but failed and now am at a dead end. Any info or tips would help and be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didnt touch my CAB harness. I opened up both the 3.0 and 3.4 harness'. I de-pinned the white and blue cab harness plugs and then re-pinned them to match. so I ran each connector with its wires though the engine bay into the cab. as I figured out common paths i then loomed everything up.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smaay
I didnt touch my CAB harness. I opened up both the 3.0 and 3.4 harness'. I de-pinned the white and blue cab harness plugs and then re-pinned them to match. so I ran each connector with its wires though the engine bay into the cab. as I figured out common paths i then loomed everything up.
So you didn't run the 3.4"s engine harness' (white plug to cab harness socket) into the cab with the 3.4's ECM connectors? You opened up that part of the harness under the hood and ran the wires to your 3.0 dash harness individually? Just want to make sure that's what you are saying.

I'm about dead set on a conversion harness for my swap but also considering all options. Just started dissecting my 3.4 cab harness last night. I know I want to run all of the 3.4's engine harness through the firewall.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE= Ive tried use the 3.0 cab harness to make up a harness but failed and now am at a dead end. Any info or tips would help and be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Are you saying that you have a spare 3.0 cab harness that you are using to make your conversion harness or are you talking about your current harness that is behind the dash of the vehicle you are stabbing the 3.4 into?

You said you got a "different harness" and a MT ecu. Do you know what year model your harness and ECU are from? Those things are going to be important. The pinouts for the ecus vary from year to year. I know that the engine harnesses are different on some years as well but look almost identical. As far a the MT ECU, Is your harness from a manual or automatic vehicle. They will be different as well and your wiring conversion is going to have to be modified to match. Be as specific as you can, especially when it comes to the components you are using. That is the first and most important part.

I've been fooling with both of these engines for several years and have been staring at a ready to go 3.4L in my shop floor along with every inch of it's vehicle's wiring, for many months getting ready to start my swap. Been planning the swap for a couple years now. Looking to get on board with a few folks that are starting theirs now as well. Keep me in your loop and I'll fill you in on mine. Not sure how much thought you've put into yours but when I go at a project like this, all of my thinking is usually done before I ever turn a wrench. Now that I know I'm going to do it, I may stare at schematics for the next week or two before I touch anything.

I would like to hear more details about what you have done so far. I can probably help you along and learn something at the same time.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i used 90% 5VZ harness. mine was a 95 T100. I need to add the 4X4 and speed sensor from my 3.0 harness. i de-pinned both the 2 plugs from the engine harness to the cab harness and then re-used the 3.0 plugs and pinned them to match.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Sounds like the OP did not do his research prior to starting now has a big mess.

This can really be so simple

Have the EWD`s from the donor harness and the original vehicle

Your engine harness should match the ECM you have it makes the job easier.

Wire the fourth ECM plug to the original harness the major wiring work is done

Sounds like the OP has a unknown harness a ECM that does not match.

Major frustration for anyone
Old 09-14-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 swap.

i am doing a 3.4 swap from a 1997 runner 3.4 auto. into my 1989 ectra cab pickup 3.0. i am havinf trouble with the wiring. is there any diagrams or anything? i have the wiring harness and ecu from the 3.4 and need to figure out how to swap the body plugs.
thanks!
QUOTE=Smaay;52357492]I didnt touch my CAB harness. I opened up both the 3.0 and 3.4 harness'. I de-pinned the white and blue cab harness plugs and then re-pinned them to match. so I ran each connector with its wires though the engine bay into the cab. as I figured out common paths i then loomed everything up.[/QUOTE]