3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 swap started

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just another question, and again, you might have answered this already. Have you confirmed at what temperature the thermostat actually opens?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by runethechamp
Just another question, and again, you might have answered this already. Have you confirmed at what temperature the thermostat actually opens?
yeah he did the stovetop test with a latte thermometer.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
After removing the last tranny cooler that was in front of radiator I opened up the area below the AC condensor some more by cutting out a big section of the lower radiator support.

It didn't seem to be needed for supporting anything, probably just serves as a crumple zone in the event of a crash. My TJM will more that make up for that. I'll take another pic when I get the radiator back in place.

Yes, I tested every thermostat on the stove,

Someone mentioned getting an aluminum rad, already running one.
https://www.yotatech.com/50547550-post514.html

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-02-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:30 AM

I just had a crazy Idea... Why not, with a small elec pump put a trans cooler in that has coolant in it and run it to the trans spot in the radiator. I have seen trannies cause engines to overheat, so wouldn't it work the other way to?
Old 08-18-2007, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AH64ID
I just had a crazy Idea... Why not, with a small elec pump put a trans cooler in that has coolant in it and run it to the trans spot in the radiator. I have seen trannies cause engines to overheat, so wouldn't it work the other way to?
Yeah, I've considered that. I'm pretty sure that when I had the ATF running through the radiator it was actually cooling the coolant and heating the ATF. I wish I had more R&D funds to play with, I could really use some wind tunnel testing too.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-19-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have any updates on this? I have a 2004 5VZ in my 93 runner with the trd charger and some fuel goodies as well. I have no idea what temp I am running, because I only have the stock gauge though.

I just read pretty much the whole thread, so my brain is a little mushy. Did you show how you hooked up the 3.0's evap to the 3.4's?

Great job!
Old 08-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by odonekanobe
Do you have any updates on this? I have a 2004 5VZ in my 93 runner with the trd charger and some fuel goodies as well. I have no idea what temp I am running, because I only have the stock gauge though.

I just read pretty much the whole thread, so my brain is a little mushy. Did you show how you hooked up the 3.0's evap to the 3.4's?

Great job!
Thanks, I just got the cooling fan today that's been holding me up:

This is for the tranny cooler, I'm adding a fan on it because I relocated it from in front of the radiator to clear the heat and blockage away from the radiator. This fan is very thin with a max thickness of 2.1". The first fan I got was too thick for the spot I'm wanting to put it, hopefully this one will let me do what I have planned. More later on that.

Yeah I skipped posting those evap details on purpose because Mike@ ORS covers those details in depth in his kit instructions, and he asks that those instructions not be shared with anyone. After all the help he provided me I curtainly want to honor his wishes on that.

Do you have the OBDII plug wired up? You can get the water temp from that with a scan tool and a laptop.

Just saw a show on ABC Primetime about Nascar racing and I caught some of the teams talking about over-heating in the pack from lack of air flow to the grill. I thought it was interesting one driver was asking the crew how hot is too hot on the water temp. He said he was running 250 degrees F. The answer came back that 280 was a blow up, 245 was too hot for power, and 235 was good. I believe those teams run the Evan's waterless coolant but I could be wrong on that.

It's looking more and more like it maybe next summer now before I'm going to be able to test in 100 degree weather again. We have had a very cool summer this year.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-02-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:29 PM

Well that sucks about the evap. I understand the position you and he are in, so I guess I will have to figure it out.

Hopefully you get it all dialed in with the new setup. I have my obd2 port, and a cheap scan tool, but I don't think I can get my temps that way. I am thinking of doing the group purchase deal on the sg2, so I will probably just find out that way.

Just to keep the flow of information going on swapping, this is my second motor that I have put in my runner. (I'm embarassed to say I hydrolocked the first one) THe first was a 2003, and the current is a 2004. I don't know about the drive by wire that you were talking about earlier, but my throttle cable bolted right up.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:59 PM

http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp...-A-300&cat=114

Got one of these for my pda at work, works well with lots of info. The software will build graphs and all sorts of goodies like that.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:04 PM

You know, the more I think about it, the less I like that people will not share certain tech. I know I am new here, but I am not new to toyotas, or forums. I frequent the pirate board, and the ttora as well.

I'm sorry if this upsets people, but I am not going to go out and buy the "kit" to do this because I don't know how to hook up the evap. Honestly, if I had to do the swap again, I would buy the kit. Hearing things about not sharing information makes me feel the opposite. These forums are for tech, and to help others out. How many times have you found your answers on a forum? Somebody did the hard work to find those answers...paid the money to try it out. Then they come on here and tell you what they tried....what worked, and what did not.

Your tach works. ORS did not tell you how to do that, so how did you find out? I'll bet if you go to that thread on pirate, it was probably my thread. Did I come up with the answer? No I did not. But the person who did find out the answer told us all about it on that thread. He actually paid $50 to someone to tell him that.

I am not knocking ORS alone on this. I am just tired of people not sharing. You want to know how I did something, I will tell you. Shoot, if you are close enough I will drive over there and help you do it. This is a community.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:30 PM

your 93 a/c pump will bolt up to the 3.4 a/c mount. all you need to do is change the pulley.

Or you can do what i did and use the 3.4 a/c pump and the side plate off the 3.0 a/c (the plate on the side that the hoses bolt too.) then your stoke 93 hoses will bolt up just fine. i did replace the evap canister, so i could switch from R12 to R134
Old 08-29-2007, 09:38 PM

actually, I was referring to the fuel evap canister, but thanks for the tip!

I still do not have my a/c hooked up yet, but that should be done soon. (Just in time for the winter)
Old 08-30-2007, 03:55 AM
Contributing Member

Well I will say this, it seems to me basicly you take the 3.4 evap system, the 3 vsv thingys and the big square "can" part and substitute the 3.0 round can for the big square 3.4 can. But with Mike's diagram you still need to have the 3 small 3.4 vsv parts from your donor truck. And come to think of it , didn't Toyota change the evap system on those later models, if your donor truck is a 2004 it may be different than what my 2001 Taco used. I've heard they moved and changed the evap system and that it's not under the hood anymore on those later models. Is your donor a 4runner or Taco?

BTW Mike has started a swap thread on a 85 4runner he has in his shop right now:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...5/index25.html

You could always ask Mike if he'd be willing to share his diagram with you (and the world) but I certainly don't want to be the person to release his proprietary info to the world.

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-30-2007 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

The first fan I ordered that turned out to be too thick (it's a Zirgo 8" fan) has been installed on the oil cooler now:

This should help bring the oil temps down a lot, and I'm hopefull it will also indirectly help with the coolant temps too since the oil is dumping heat into the coolant with the factory oil cooler.

This fan and the tranny cooler fan will be controlled with a Hayden 3647 controller. It has an adjustable on-off range of 160-240? IIRC, and will run 2 fans but they'll both have to be running at same time. I'll be setting them to come on anytime the AC is running. The controller will be connected through my manual off switch that also controls my radiator fan so if I get into deep water the power can be easily switched off all the fans. These are motorcycle/atv fans and are made fairly waterproof so I think they'll last a while in some wet conditions, also they have fairly low amp draw.

I'm also going to try some very small 5" SPAL fans on my "heater under the truck" rig. More later on that.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-02-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your truck's going to be one big driving radiator when you're done with it... similar to a Bugatti Veyron
Old 08-30-2007, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox
Your truck's going to be one big driving radiator when you're done with it... similar to a Bugatti Veyron
Wow I had to google that, yeah lol, that's one hell of a car:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Veyron

The Bugatti Veyron has a total of 10 radiators.[2]

3 radiators for the engine cooling system.
1 heat exchanger for the air to liquid intercoolers.
2 for the air conditioning system.
1 transmission oil radiator.
1 differential oil radiator.
1 engine oil radiator.
1 hydraulic oil radiator for the spoiler
So far I have 7 lol.
3 radiators for the engine cooling system, one factory and 2 oil coolers
1 for the AC system (factory condensor counts right?)
1 for the tranny ATF
1 for the powersteering fluid
1 for the engine oil
All will have fans when I'm done except the powersteering cooler

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-30-2007 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What, you've never heard of the fastest production car ever made?! Shame!

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
According to Volkswagen, the final production Veyron engine produces between 1020 and 1040 metric hp (1006 to 1026 SAE net hp)...

Top speed was initially promised to be 406 km/h (252 miles per hour), but ... at Volkswagen's Ehra-Lessien test track, reached a top speed of 407.5 km/h (253.2 miles per hour) ... When getting close to the top speed during the test he said that "the tires will only last for about fifteen minutes, but it's OK because the fuel runs out in twelve minutes."

The Veyron is the quickest production car to reach 100 km/h (62 miles per hour) with a proven time of 2.5 seconds. It reaches 60 miles per hour in approximately 2.46 seconds. It also reaches 200 and 300 km/h (124 and 186 miles per hour) in 7.4 and 16.7 seconds respectively.

... according to the February 2007 issue of Road & Track Magazine, the Veyron accomplished the quarter mile in 10.2 seconds at a speed of 142.9 miles per hour. This makes the Veyron the quickest and fastest production car in history.

It also consumes more fuel than any other production car, using 40.4 L/100 km (5.82 mpg) in city driving and 24.1 L/100 km (10 mpg) in combined cycle. At full throttle, it uses more than 125 L/100 km (2.1 mpg), which would empty its 100 L (26.4 gallon) fuel tank in just 12.5 minutes.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:14 AM

Thanks for the input. My donor is a Tacoma, but I do not have the actual vehicle. (Another thing that I would do differently if I did the swap again)

I believe the evap system is still that squarish-container, because that is what I have. I will take a look under there this weekend. I have the evap, I just don't know how to hook it up.

Thanks again.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by odonekanobe
Thanks for the input. My donor is a Tacoma, but I do not have the actual vehicle. (Another thing that I would do differently if I did the swap again)

I believe the evap system is still that squarish-container, because that is what I have. I will take a look under there this weekend. I have the evap, I just don't know how to hook it up.

Thanks again.
If you have the 3.4 square can I'd just use that, mine was busted up in the donor wreck so I couldn't use it.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:42 AM

wow 7 coolers!! let us know what the temps do...
btw...the veyron is sick, but ilike the way the eb-110 looked much better.

Quick Reply: 3.4 swap started