3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 swap keeps bursting fuel return line hose.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is not a sensor on the fuel rail or pump that shows flow. The GPH is produced by an algorithm using rpm, throttle position, engine size, fuel tank size and where you manually adjust the offset when you to go fill up and enter the total gallons you put in via what it shows at the fuel station.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:52 PM

Ok I didnt know if there was a fuel rail pressure sensor or not. I know diesel engines use it and the rpms and tps to figure ot out and some newer gas vehicles fo now too. I hadnt really looked into it much under the intake. So I wasnt sure.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:57 PM

Ok now a new problem and the original is back.

The new problem... when I get up to speed or try to hold it at a certain rpm in neutral the engine acts like it stalls and then catches itself. When im driving it holding it at a certain rpm to do a certain speed (it can be pretty much any rpm but notice it most happens between 2000 and 3500 rpm) with very light throttle it jerks and bucks the same way it does if you jam the throttle and let off. It acts as though the clutch is grabbing then releasing then grabbing again but it does slip under heavy load. It does it with my foot just barely pushing the throttle.

It also doesnt idle correctly. It will idle normally for awhile then it will just shut off. It slightly will miss before dieing. I can crank it right back over and itll start and stall once then if I do it again itll fire up and run until it stalls again.

I just put in new denso dual prong plugs and denso plug wires. NO new codes have been set for anything. I had codes for second o2 sensor heater circuit and transmission oil temp and the evap vent solenoid. I checked for a vacuum leak with a propane tank turned on going around all the lines just like carb cleaner. I wiggles wires also. I didnt find any exhaust leaks either. I am thinking that possibly the purge solenoid is letting liquid fuel into the engine and it kinda like floods it out for a second (too much fuel) since my evap box is probably full of fuel. Bad tps or maf or o2 sensor is a possibility but what else.

What explains the stalling tho? Maybe the purge solenoid also? Or tps has a dead spot? Idle is around 600 rpm.

The original fuel leaking out of the vent line issue is back. Im pretty sure I need to wire in the vent solenoid to relieve the pressure. Gonna look into it.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:25 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I just hope you get your fuel issues fixed before your luck runs out.

One spark in the engine compartment is all it will take.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:58 AM

It doesnt leak while im drivong only after it sits for awhile and I cjeck before I start it up to ensure its dry.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, you 100% need to wire in that EVAP VSV.

Charcoal canister is designed to absorb the gas vapors while the engine is off, then while the engine is running, the VSV will periodically allow the canister to be purged by opening and allowing vacuum from the manifold to suck the gas vapors out, and into the intake.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:30 PM

Yeah the only time I have fuel leaking out of the charcoal canister is after a few hours with the truck off and parked. I did notice if I take my gas cap off it doesnt do it anymore.

I have the sensor wired in im pretty sure. I did get code 0450 for the vent solenoid? It is because I have my gas cap off or because its a bad sensor.

Im going get on mitchell on demand and alldata at school tonight and see if I can get a flow chart of what to test for that code and my idling issue. I may talk to a few instructors that worked for toyota.