3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 runs rich and bogs

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kiroshu
You can actaully ruin a MAF by cleaning it.
With the appropriate specific cleaner, nothing should be hurt. I had to clean the maf that I got with the motor cause it was oil/dirt laden from the PCV blowing gunk due to rings being worn and there being excess blow by, hence why the guy bought a new motor and I got his old one. Which I might add runs like champ now!

Anyway, sorry about not getting those resistance specs for you. I forgot when I was at the shop,
I'll grab them today on my lunch break, shoots!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 AM

Sorry to bring up an older thread, but you were saying something about the wiring being different for the MAF sensor? I have a 99 wiring harness, and a 97 motor/ecu. The MAF sensor I got came from a 98. From what I could tell the 98 should be the correct one for my 97. But you are saying the 99 harness could be messing me up? I have the same issue. It is running WAYYY rich, and it doesn't want to idle very well at all.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hamish, did you do your own wiring? Because i was having similar symptoms and it turned out i had a wire wrong. The W-R wire it the body harness, it goes to a bunch of sensors. I had the +B from the ECU to the W-R 91 Body harness wire, it would run, but have hard time starting, run real rich, bog down, blow black smoke out of exhaust. I hooked the two body harness ends together and it fixed my problem. Maybe not the same problem you have but just thought i would throw that out there since it happened to me. Good luck
Old 04-19-2010, 05:32 PM

what helped me the most was to find the code, then look in that general area. if the code is p0100 then check the continuity between the maf connector and the ecu connectors. i think that could help
Old 04-20-2010, 07:21 AM

Hi guys,
I just wanted to let you all know that it was my MAF. The pins on the plug were incorrect. I had the pins on the ecu right, just as I believe agusgus stated that the 99 MAF was pinned differently than previous years. I fixed that and *caugh grounded my ecu, and fired her up. OMG she came alive and sounded beautiful!!!

On a side note, my CEL never came on. and my stupid obd2 scanner doesn't support the 96-97 protocol toyota used. Only the newer ISO standard. So I can't even look at what the computer is doing, sigh. Just a couple more issues, that I don't need to post here and then on to the lift.

Oh and sorry for high jacking your thread. You just had the same exact issue I was having
Old 05-31-2018, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by sam4runner
Hamish, did you do your own wiring? Because i was having similar symptoms and it turned out i had a wire wrong. The W-R wire it the body harness, it goes to a bunch of sensors. I had the +B from the ECU to the W-R 91 Body harness wire, it would run, but have hard time starting, run real rich, bog down, blow black smoke out of exhaust. I hooked the two body harness ends together and it fixed my problem. Maybe not the same problem you have but just thought i would throw that out there since it happened to me. Good luck
Old thread but I believe I may have done exactly this haha, what do you mean by hook the two body harness wires together? Splice all three?
Old 06-13-2018, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by sam4runner
I was having the exact same problem. Didn't realize pin 16 on ik2 was the power wife for my Mad, idle control and oxygen heaters. You saved me so many hours of headaches
Old 06-13-2018, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Xer0
I was having the exact same problem. Didn't realize pin 16 on ik2 was the power wife for my Mad, idle control and oxygen heaters. You saved me so many hours of headaches
Same here! Mine runs great now