3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 3wire to 4wire tps adaptor

Old 08-02-2012, 09:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
3.4 3wire to 4wire tps adaptor

I'm in the middle of a 3.4 swap.
The last thing i need is the proper throttle body for a 4 wire tps sensor.
long story short having a hard time finding the correct tb.
Here comes the good part. Im a cnc programer and a licensed machinist.
I am going to build a two piece direct bolt on adapter to bolt a 4 wire tps on a 3wire throttle body.
since im already going to design, program, and produce my own making a few extra is as easy as cutting more stock and pressing the go button a few more times.
my question is:
is there anyone else looking for this adapter.
I'm not sure about vender rules on this site. I'm not trying to make a lot of money just help the community that help me get my swap running.
Thanks to all the sticks and people that but there swap info online.
The following 2 users liked this post by more_power:
johnnyGirl (09-27-2020), Midnight tacoma (03-31-2021)
Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you get a complete donor vehicle? Why are you needing the other TB?

:wabbit2:
Old 08-02-2012, 01:20 PM

I purchased a half built truck with a lot of unknowns, all junk yard stuff off multiple vehicles.
Guy got to the wiring and quit. From what i was told the engine is out of an auto 4runner, the computer is a 95.5 tacoma, and the wiring harness matches a tacoma pin out with a 4pin tps i dont kno the year just that the H plug on the ecu was smacked and i had to replace that.
It runs awesome i just need to attach the tps sensor to the throttle body and its basically done. when i turn the tps and throttle by had together i get crisp throttle response. only thing i worry about is my idle is a little high at 1100 which might have something to do with the tb coming off an auto.
I also dont have the evap plugs hooked up yet.
And like i stated before ive been having a hard time finding the proper tb.
for 4 months no wreckers in BC have had one.....they always sell them with the engines. im feed up and dont mide dedicating 8 hours to make my problem disappear.

its a very simple adapter i do similar jobs like it all the time.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also had to sourse a TB for my swap. I contacted Cliff at Toyonlyswaps.com and he sent me the one I needed. At first, my Toy also idled high. After playing with the throttle cable, I ended up replacing the idle up valve on the bottom of the TB, it was all gummed up in the high idle position. Also, the last I looked, there was Toy TB's for sale on E-bay.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 AM

I really expected some interest for this adapter.
And Ive bought a few tb's but everyone i got was a 3wire.

I'm going to make the parts this weekend and test it out. After everything is checked and works like oem I will post the drawings and solid models so at least i feel like i was able to contribute something to the site that helped me the most. the parts are super simple by design to make the job as cheep as possible.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by more_power
I really expected some interest for this adapter.
And Ive bought a few tb's but everyone i got was a 3wire.

I'm going to make the parts this weekend and test it out. After everything is checked and works like oem I will post the drawings and solid models so at least i feel like i was able to contribute something to the site that helped me the most. the parts are super simple by design to make the job as cheep as possible.
I had the same problem when I did my swap. I used a micro switch for a nitrous system. It just a ground signal. Mine has been running fine for about 6 months
Old 08-30-2020, 08:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I am going to build a two piece direct bolt on adapter to bolt a 4 wire tps on a 3wire throttle body.
since im already going to design, program, and produce my own making a few extra is as easy as cutting more stock and pressing the go button a few more times.
my question is:
I'm not sure about vender rules on this site. I'm not trying to make a lot of money just help the community that help me get my swap running.
hey I need one !
Old 09-27-2020, 09:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hey there! I realize that this was quite some time ago, but I could really use the two piece direct bolt on adapter to bolt a 4 wire tps on a 3wire throttle body that you were building. My swap is a mix of several trucks as well, and I'm having a heck of a time finding a TB. Any chance you could make/send me one, or post the drawings/solid models? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-08-2021, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyGirl
Hey there! I realize that this was quite some time ago, but I could really use the two piece direct bolt on adapter to bolt a 4 wire tps on a 3wire throttle body that you were building. My swap is a mix of several trucks as well, and I'm having a heck of a time finding a TB. Any chance you could make/send me one, or post the drawings/solid models? Thanks in advance!
Did you end up getting ahold of the model?
Old 07-20-2021, 04:08 PM

Hey Chase,

No, I wasn't. I did end up finding another 95 Throttle Body that worked with my current TPS.

Good luck!

mj
Old 07-20-2021, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyGirl
Hey Chase,

No, I wasn't. I did end up finding another 95 Throttle Body that worked with my current TPS.

Good luck!

mj
I did the same thing
Old 08-13-2021, 03:59 PM

Nice.
It took me quite a while to find one..these things are precious pieces of history!
My swap is near complete (if it ever can be "complete") - think I'm gonna hafta cut a hole in the hood as this throttle cable it a couple inches too high.
How bout you?
My Runner's a 93 with a 2001 3.4 and a 95 TB.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:41 AM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
The TPS looks to be a pretty simple design, I wonder if anyone has ohmed them out to check the difference between the 3 and 4 wire setups? The 3 wire style looks to have been used for 96-2000 4runners, 2001 shows a 4 pin but doesn't give any real tech specs in the EWD book. Basically one pin is a ground, one a signal power (+5v most likely) and the 3rd wire is to tell how much throttle is given (resistance changes, so voltage changes on that pin). In electronics talk, it's a voltage divider. The 4 wire shows the same power/ground setup, but has 2 wires labeled as VTA and VTA2 while the older design it's labeled as PTNK.

Also, fun fact, the T100's used a different 4 pin TPS at first and later went to the 3 pin style. The extra pin is for idle detection (grounded when at idle) and goes to ECU and cruise control. Besides that, the other 3 wires work exactly the same as the later model assuming the same resistance specs were used.

95-96 - 4 wire (idle detection style)
97-98 - 3 wire

Just a side note, 97 book calls the signal wire on the 3 pin VTA. If the diagram showed how it's wired, a 4 pin 4runner newer style TPS might be able to be made to work for a 3 pin ECU/harness with an adapter. The 4 pin system likely demands the 4 pin TPS, but it depends how it's programmed, maybe it could be wired in reverse of the 3 to 4 adapter and have it work fine with maybe less accuracy.

Looking up what the acromins mean:

VTA = Voltage Throttle Angle
VTH = Voltage Throttle Angle

Nothing on the PTNK, I suspect it's kind of a generic signal label since when they used VTA on the TPS, then PTNK got labeled on the Vapor pressure sensor. It's possible that one year's book has a mistype or something too.

Anyway, long story short, if an adapter harness could be made and the TPS functioned fine across the systems with the right wiring, maybe a physical adapter wouldn't be needed, but instead an electrical based adapter which is a lot easier to build. I'd have to research the connectors a bit, but pretty sure I could build an adapter, but would need either someone to guinea pig test it, or actually take a multi meter and see if we can figure out the difference between the VTA and VTA2 signals. Sadly, I only have the older style stuff (t100, 4runner, Tacoma) all in the context of the 5VZ 3.4L.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:04 PM

Update on this, found the VTA2 signal is to sense issues with the VTA1 signal. Not sure if having a fault would cause drive ability issues, but it sounds somewhat optional. Here's the source I found on the subject, seems no simple way to simulate the signal. Clearly ignoring that signal and hooking up the older style TPS isn't an option for people with state inspections, but for others, it might be an option, have to have someone test the idea though before we will know if that works or not.

http://www.tsienna.net/throttle_peda...quot_-542.html
Old 01-12-2024, 04:23 PM

my question is:
I need an adapter do you have any left ? Did it work like you thought it would?
Old 01-12-2024, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dbz42
I need an adapter do you have any left ? Did it work like you thought it would?
I'm not them, but I've worked around the older style 4 wire TPS vs 3 wire for Camry's, the computers/harnesses end up for demo derby cars so they don't care too much about codes and such, but I adapt the older style computers to my car that's 3 wire and can't tell any difference. I know it's used for idle detection, but not sure what exactly works off of that, maybe ac idle up won't work since it doesn't think it's at idle. Besides that type of logic, they seem to run just fine with out the idle signal.

For the newer ones, I'd have to get a throttle body, or at least a TPS from one to check them out. My my research before the two TPS signals aren't exactly the same, the resistance is offset slightly so that style might require the correct throttle body to prevent codes and possible running issues.