Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

engine problems help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine problems help!!!!!

im having slight problems with my truck. its the 3vze motor and the problem is a lumpy idle and during first and even in second gear acceleration comes in jolts, sometimes even breaking the back tires loose in a jolt like fashion. i thought it was the timing so i replaced the timing belt but the problem remains. im thinking either the fuel pump is gone or maybe even my rings or head gasket. im probably going to do a compression test just to be sure but do any of you guys have any thoughts on what could be causing this problem? Thanks i really appreciate your replies!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:33 PM

definitely do the compression check...adn while you're at it, take note of the condition of the plugs--they can tell you8 a lot. (there is a guide to reading plugs on the back page of haynes manuals.)

did you set the timing with a timing light after replacing the timing belt? the timing could still be off at the ditributor.

could be many things...the stuff you mentioned plus...

fuel filter.
air filter.
injectors.
ignition coil.
distributer cap/rotor.
spark plugs.
plug wires.

(are you sure that plug wires didn't somehow get swtiched around so that a couple of them are conneted to the wrong plug?)

clogged cat.
clutch (if the enigne revs while truck is not wanting to go)
vacuum leak/hoses not correctly routed..
egr.
tps.
ecu (not likely, but you never know).

hard to say, but these are some things i would start looking at (after doing the compression test to rule out internal problems...which, unfortunately, it very well could be.).

does it do it all the time? or only when cold? only when hot?

any other symptoms (knocking, etc.)?
Old 06-03-2005, 03:18 PM

thanks for the reply
no it does it all the time doesnt matter whether it is hot or cold, and no i didnt set the timing with a flasher, which i should probably do...
i read the shop manual and it says to clean the intake manifold if having uneven idle or uneven acceleration, ill prob do that this weekend, as for all the other stuff ill prob just start shecking down the list until the problem is solved. i really hope it isnt the compression otherwise i have quite a bit of work ahead of me.....
thanks again man
Old 06-05-2005, 05:05 PM

Maybe an airleak between TB andAFM!
Old 06-07-2005, 09:51 PM

dude, i just went to clean out my throttle body and intake manifold today and as i was removing the tubing from the air box to the tb i noticed exactly that, a gaping hole in my tubing. so for one im going to have to figure out a way to fix it, dealer wants 96 bucks for the tube and im not havin that, lol, but yea thanx for the post man
Old 06-12-2005, 01:45 PM

yea i cleaned the tb and the intake manifold and that fixed the problem immediately......Thanks guys for all the advice it was really helpful