Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Dropped Drive Axle doing 70!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's great about the drive shaft working. The good thing is you are not going thru what I am trying to find the u-joints for the shaft that fit. I've gone with 2 different brands (Advanced Auto & Auto Zone) and neither set has fit the front and rear drive shaft. The cross is to long and I can't get the retainer clips on without seizing the ujoint. Order the Napa performance ones and will try and put them in tonight. By the way if anyone needs ujoints from NAPA make sure you get the performance one's they have the same stamping as the OEM and are $5 cheaper than the standard joints. Dealer wanted $73 per ujoint
Old 04-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PirateFins
The good thing is you are not going thru what I am trying to find the u-joints for the shaft that fit.
I did not want to mess with fitting u-joints! This was quick and simple, though I wish I had time to wait for the one offered in this thread. $50 plus shipping is a good deal.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by PirateFins
That's great about the drive shaft working. The good thing is you are not going thru what I am trying to find the u-joints for the shaft that fit. I've gone with 2 different brands (Advanced Auto & Auto Zone) and neither set has fit the front and rear drive shaft. The cross is to long and I can't get the retainer clips on without seizing the ujoint. Order the Napa performance ones and will try and put them in tonight. By the way if anyone needs ujoints from NAPA make sure you get the performance one's they have the same stamping as the OEM and are $5 cheaper than the standard joints. Dealer wanted $73 per ujoint

any advise on replacing the ujoints? i tried to do mine today. needless to say im sitting here tonight at work without my 4Runner. it was a huge pain getting the old one out. had to get the mapp gas out and melt part of it. then we were putting the new one in and one side of the bushing cap (don't know what its really called) wont go on any further, but on the opposite side, we were even able to get the c-clamp on. but the joint that is in, seems to be a little bit binding. so we went to grease it to see if that would work, but low and behold the zerk that is on the new u-joint isn't angled enough to get the grease gun over it!!!! what a day!!!
Old 06-15-2005, 03:13 PM

Ted, your profile says you are from Houston. Are you going to the junkyards on Airline close to I-45? Those import junkyards (near the flea markets) have great deals. Always a good place to pick up spare parts on the cheap.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Ted, your profile says you are from Houston. Are you going to the junkyards on Airline close to I-45?
I have been there before with great results. They did not have any this time around and I found a new place in Pasadena named "Atlas". It turns out they pull the yoke off the shaft and never kept it in phase. I still have vibrations as I don't have a balanced driveshaft. When I went and spoke with them about that, some fat ass told me he has been selling drive shafts for over 20 years and has never heard of that. He also informed me the slip yoke should lock in place. Slip Yoke... what is the slip word for if it doesn't slip? How does your rear suspension work if there is no room for travel on the "slip yoke"?

In any case, I got screwed and either have to get this one balanced, or find out it also has a bad u-joint. At lease I think I have a straight drive shaft, though...
Old 06-16-2005, 01:55 PM

i just got charged out the ass to get my driveshaft fixed. $380 !!!!!!!!! it was pretty much impossible to try and do the u-joints myself. so i took it in and they used OEM joints wich are like $63 a piece. and then had other problems with balancing and a bunch of other bs. EVERYBODY GREASE YOUR DRIVESHAFTS OR YOU WILL PAY BIG!!!!
Old 06-16-2005, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by KevyWevy
i just got charged out the ass to get my driveshaft fixed. $380 !!!!!!!!! it was pretty much impossible to try and do the u-joints myself. so i took it in and they used OEM joints wich are like $63 a piece. and then had other problems with balancing and a bunch of other bs. EVERYBODY GREASE YOUR DRIVESHAFTS OR YOU WILL PAY BIG!!!!
I did my driveshafts not long ago, I found it to be rather simple
Old 06-16-2005, 07:16 PM

my friend and i had a hell of a time getting the first (the only one we did) u-joint out. granted we didn't have a hydrolic press or anything. we ended up having to melt the caps on two sides of the joint with a mapp gas setup. then we couldn't get the new joint in. and then we noticed that there wasn't any way to grease the new joint, because the zerk wasn't angled out. you couldn't get the grease gun fitting onto it!
Old 06-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Banned

Changing the drive shaft is easy. Changing the u-joints can be a pain in the butt.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:11 PM

exactly!!!