Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Airbox mod on 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbox mod on 22RE

I read an article about an elbow removal for a 3.4 on a 4runner: http://www.4runners.org/articles/airbox/

I have a similar elbow but, it looks even more restrictive than the one in the article. Mine bends and goes clear to the other side only leaving an inch between it and the wall! I was thinking of doing a similar mod and dropping in an AMSOIL air filter into the box.

Has anyone here ever done this with their 22RE or know if its really worth it? Id rather get a filter charger kit from K & N, but there is no way my budget would allow me. Any thoughts or better ideas?
Old 10-27-2003, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

I was lucky and happened to find a FIPK for my truck at a junkyard and payed 10$ for it. I would look on ebay, alot of people sell the cheap adapters with a K&N filter. My opinion if you can't find a FIPK kit cheap its not worth the 200$ they want for one. Not for a couple of brackets, an adapter, and a filter. I think those cheap kits on ebay go for about 50$ but its been a while since I looked.

EDIT: Here is a good example.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2438680822

Last edited by Krash; 10-27-2003 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mindburnt,
I did a similar mod to my 22re airbox as the deckplate mod. Don't know which airbox that you have but mine had a 1.5 " dia tube inside the airbox that did a 90* on the other end where it came out of the box. Then it opened up to 2"dia outside the box but did an S turn where it ended behind the head light.

First I removed the 1.5" dia section with the 90*, from inside the box. Not much difference. Then I removed the S shaped section on the outside of the box, leaving a 2" dia hole. This felt like it made some improvment. Finaly I just cut a 4" square opening in the bottom right corner of the airbox where the tube came in. This made the most difference, still a 22Re though.

While I had the box out I filled the bottom with water and drilled a series of 1/4" holes in the bottom of the box to drain the water out. This was just for peace of mind that if any water got in the box, it would drain out instead of getting sucked in. I don't do many water crossings, but it was just in case.

As far as airfilters I picked up a K&N drop in filter to put in there. It seemed to me that the stock paper filter was holding moisture on damp mornings or when it rained over night, and the engine was working harder. The oil charged filters seem to prevent this.

If you want a pic of what I am talking about let me know.
Hope that helps,
Brad
Old 10-30-2003, 11:12 AM

I've got a 22re and redid the entire intake system up to the manifold using the stock air box. Go to Lowe's or any place to get 3" ABS(black) pipe. (used for plumbing) Get a few 45 degree elbows, an endcap and some glue. Take the stock inlet off the airbox. Cut the baffles out of the box and drill a few holes in the bottom of the box. Cut about a 4-5" section of pipe with an agle up to allow air into the filter. Cut a 3"diam. hole in the airbox, bottom front so it fits around the headlight and overflow tank, its easy to see once you try to put it in. Insert the cut tubing, angling it towards the headlight, put in and glue it in. With this pipe sticking out of the box just enough, you can buy a cap and drill wholes in it to block water from getting in. Make sure you can get the cap in between everything before you glue the tubing so you don't have to have the cap on there permanantly. From the exit of the airbox reuse one of the stock rubber coupler and cut it in half so you can use the 3" tubing. Take 2, 45 degree elbows from the intake manifold to make 90. Use grease to mate them up so you can take them apart if needed. Use one half of the coupler to go from the angle pieces the to manifold. Cut a section of tubing to fit between the airbox and the angle. Use the other half of the coupler to mate the long tubing to the airbox. You will need to cut a section out the main tubing (just a shallow long arch) to fit over the radiator shroud so your hood will shut, and find something flexible to glue over this hole. You can just take the EGR tubing off and plug up the holes in the airbox and EGR valve. Undoing this doesn't hurt anything at all, it just keeps the exhaust out of your good air. I did this to mine and it fit tight but perfect. Drop in a K&N stock replacement filter. Its kinda ghetto but you will be surprised how much better your engine will breathe. Make sure to grease all the fittings so they will go on and off and move easily. This should only cost about $75 or so including the filter.

any questions or want pics just email me or leave a message on here and i'll respond and let you know.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi

I'd like to see your pics of this mods.

I do a similar mod to te restrictive airbox of my jetta mk2 but i would like to see it on a 4runner.

thks
Old 10-30-2003, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by motrhedx81
I've got a 22re and redid the entire intake system up to the manifold using the stock air box. Go to Lowe's or any place to get 3" ABS(black) pipe. (used for plumbing) Get a few 45 degree elbows, an endcap and some glue. Take the stock inlet off the airbox. Cut the baffles out of the box and drill a few holes in the bottom of the box. Cut about a 4-5" section of pipe with an agle up to allow air into the filter. Cut a 3"diam. hole in the airbox, bottom front so it fits around the headlight and overflow tank, its easy to see once you try to put it in. Insert the cut tubing, angling it towards the headlight, put in and glue it in. With this pipe sticking out of the box just enough, you can buy a cap and drill wholes in it to block water from getting in. Make sure you can get the cap in between everything before you glue the tubing so you don't have to have the cap on there permanantly. From the exit of the airbox reuse one of the stock rubber coupler and cut it in half so you can use the 3" tubing. Take 2, 45 degree elbows from the intake manifold to make 90. Use grease to mate them up so you can take them apart if needed. Use one half of the coupler to go from the angle pieces the to manifold. Cut a section of tubing to fit between the airbox and the angle. Use the other half of the coupler to mate the long tubing to the airbox. You will need to cut a section out the main tubing (just a shallow long arch) to fit over the radiator shroud so your hood will shut, and find something flexible to glue over this hole. You can just take the EGR tubing off and plug up the holes in the airbox and EGR valve. Undoing this doesn't hurt anything at all, it just keeps the exhaust out of your good air. I did this to mine and it fit tight but perfect. Drop in a K&N stock replacement filter. Its kinda ghetto but you will be surprised how much better your engine will breathe. Make sure to grease all the fittings so they will go on and off and move easily. This should only cost about $75 or so including the filter.

any questions or want pics just email me or leave a message on here and i'll respond and let you know.
I'm interested in seeing this myself. Can you post some pics? I'm particularly intersted in the EGR tubing you talked about.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:30 AM

It might take a couple of days but i'll get em up here. I don't have a digicam, but there is one I can borrow.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:46 AM

i've got the pics taken, just haven't had time to get them uploaded yet.

whats the best way to get pics on here... there's quite a few of em
Old 11-13-2003, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

I just realized your're from lexington. Thats cool, we should meet up sometime.
Well you can use montypics.com for free for a couple of days, or if you want you can pm me for my e-mail addy and i'll post them on my webspace.